Main Menu

"Isolated" CAP members

Started by RiverAux, April 24, 2007, 11:56:51 PM

mikeylikey

The very first SQD I was in had the usual meeting every Monday night, but had a 6 to 10 hour workday the Saturday that the AF Reserve unit was drilling.  It was an awesome setup that allowed those members that could not attend due to work or whatnot to attend once per month.  It was also beneficial to the cadets because we had O-flights that day. 

-Our LO even wrote up MSA's so we could eat at the D-FAC those Saturdays.  I miss those days.
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: 12211985 on April 25, 2007, 06:24:15 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 25, 2007, 03:41:53 PMa CAP station is an area of the state that only has two or three members.  Not enough for a flight in normal cases.

Reg cite, please. 

No reg follows this.  All CAP station members are assigned to the All Iowa Squadron as per CAP Regs.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on April 25, 2007, 09:09:09 PM
Folks, can we talk about my proposal rather than Iowa bases?   

I consider the two matters similar.  It all about increasing participation to people removed via distance from regular active status.  Seems CAP stations and At large units address that issue.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

No, not at all.  I am talking about isolated individuals and what they can do on their own that might help CAP out. 

One might ask, so what if we get 1 or 2 people in a county to join CAP and take on some of the missions I propose?  Well, in some of the states with larger populations it might not make a big difference but in the smaller population states it could be huge.  If my Wing had 1 CAP member join from every county currently lacking a CAP unit we would increase Wing membership by a little over 10%.  That is a huge jump. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on April 26, 2007, 12:00:17 AM
No, not at all.  I am talking about isolated individuals and what they can do on their own that might help CAP out. 

One might ask, so what if we get 1 or 2 people in a county to join CAP and take on some of the missions I propose?  Well, in some of the states with larger populations it might not make a big difference but in the smaller population states it could be huge.  If we had 1 CAP member join from every county currently lacking a CAP unit we would increase Wing membership by a little over 10%.  That is a huge jump. 

Ah...I see.  I think I could support that.  If the Corpus Christi unit even folded and I was left alone with a 250 mile trip to Bronwsville or a 200 mile trip to Victoria, I think the effect would be that myself and one other proximate would be the only one called to address the following area...

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

desert rat

What about the cadets?   How do they fit into the remote issues?  Much of CAP is the cadet program. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: desert rat on April 26, 2007, 06:33:46 PM
What about the cadets?   How do they fit into the remote issues?  Much of CAP is the cadet program. 
Here agian, Iowa is addressing that issue by the All Iowa Squadron, they can be involved where we used to have to say "I'm sorry, we don't have anything for you."  Now we say sure we got a porgarm that is taylored for your situation. 
I'm not sure how that would fit other wings, but you might be able to do things at the group level.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

I don't see isolated cadets in the program unless there was an Iowa-type solution for them.  Cadets really require a unit-situation in order to be in the program while for seniors it could be done without it.

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on April 26, 2007, 07:51:05 PM
I don't see isolated cadets in the program unless there was an Iowa-type solution for them.  Cadets really require a unit-situation in order to be in the program while for seniors it could be done without it.
I was thinking of a group way of what Iowa is doing for cadets because of the sheer size of some wings.  If cadets have to travel long distances ie, over three or four hours, cadets won't have much to do with it.  Now, if it were under that 3-4 hr drive, involvment should go up.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

isuhawkeye

the girl scouts have an independant scout program.  can anyone provide some insight into their solution to our colmon problem.