Main Menu

Military Cadet Programs

Started by SemperVigHooah, October 28, 2019, 02:33:27 PM

SemperVigHooah

Hello, all...
For the past 6 or so months, I've put forth my best to try and find other military cadet programs to be a part of other than CAP. So far I've found only the following;

Sea Cadets (didn't want to join because I went to a drill weekend, and they are the most unprofessional cadets I've ever seen)
Young Marines (unit too far out)
Air Force Explorers (didn't return calls or emails)
Military Cadets of America (didn't return calls or emails)
Various explorer detachments (either too far out / didn't return calls or emails)
Police Explorers (unit too far out)
JROTC (not old enough)

To set the record straight: I'm not quitting CAP, I just want to serve in a different branch while at the same time serving in CAP. I've seen and heard people that 'retreaded' into other military youth programs (such as a sea cadet that got out and joined CAP), and it seems beneficial. I'd like to try this out, but I have to find a program first. Can any of you provide advice/info/insight?

-C/SMSgt Jim 'Crumbcake' Lahaie

OldGuy

Good on you!

I did Army JROTC in High School, ditto police explorers. Civil Air Patrol stands head and shoulders over all of them for a variety of reasons, but mainly because it is a COMPLETE program, with time tested curricula, testing, programs, and size/scope.

Flying Pig

My recommendation would be to wait until you start high school and get in to JROTC.  Trying to run with both CAP and another outside organization will really limit your time to be involved.  One of the programs you are in will suffer.  JROTC is often the easiest because you can participate at school vs in your "off time".  I did both CAP and AFJROTC with little issue.  Depending on where you are, Sea Cadets can be pretty limited if you arent near any bases or on the coast. 

Eclipse

That's pretty much the list, unless you go to an actual military school, and what you are likely to
find is that CAP and JROTC are the largest and most coherent of the bunch.

Few others have national reach and the myriad different opportunities.

If this is something you think is important, your best is probably just to concentrate on CAP
for now and look into JROTC when you are old enough.

"That Others May Zoom"

SemperVigHooah

Quote from: OldGuy on October 28, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
Good on you!

I did Army JROTC in High School, ditto police explorers. Civil Air Patrol stands head and shoulders over all of them for a variety of reasons, but mainly because it is a COMPLETE program, with time tested curricula, testing, programs, and size/scope.
I've heard people using 'ditto' quite a lot on here; what the heck does it mean?

Eclipse

Quote from: Jim Lahaie on October 28, 2019, 04:04:56 PM
Good on you!

I've heard people using 'ditto' quite a lot on here; what the heck does it mean?

It means to say the same thing, agree, or copy, etc.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ditto

For those of "a certain age" it's also a call-back to the most amazing smell in grammar school.
http://www.desiquintans.com/dittomachine

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2019, 04:12:49 PM
Quote from: Jim Lahaie on October 28, 2019, 04:04:56 PM
Good on you!

It means to say the same thing, agree, or copy, etc.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ditto

For those of "a certain age" it's also a call-back to the most amazing smell in grammar school.
http://www.desiquintans.com/dittomachine

LOL...just had this chat with my 10 year old last night. I had a teacher we called "Ditto Dolly" because that was her teaching method.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

swodog

@jim, FYI, I'm sure the U.S. Sea Cadet group you looked at was as you described but I can tell you that it is not the norm.  My daughter spent 7 years in the cadet corps and traveled to both the east and west coast enjoying a lot of Navy military experience.  I'm sure there are a lot of CAP squadron cadet corps that would also be unprofessional in the way you saw it however, I wanted to set the record straight, while your experience was unfortunate, it is certainly not the norm for the USNSCC.

GroundHawg

Quote from: swodog on October 29, 2019, 12:32:03 PM
@jim, FYI, I'm sure the U.S. Sea Cadet group you looked at was as you described but I can tell you that it is not the norm.  My daughter spent 7 years in the cadet corps and traveled to both the east and west coast enjoying a lot of Navy military experience.  I'm sure there are a lot of CAP squadron cadet corps that would also be unprofessional in the way you saw it however, I wanted to set the record straight, while your experience was unfortunate, it is certainly not the norm for the USNSCC.

The local USNSCC unit here in Cincy is highly motivated, very professional, and has experienced dedicated leadership. I think maybe you visited on an off day!

NIN

Quote from: GroundHawg on October 29, 2019, 01:20:20 PM
The local USNSCC unit here in Cincy is highly motivated, very professional, and has experienced dedicated leadership. I think maybe you visited on an off day!

Or, as you've so ably illustrated, USNSCC suffers from the same issue CAP does: the quality of your local unit is highly dependent on the quality of your local leadership.

It not likely an "off day," but rather an "off command tour."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SemperVigHooah

Quote from: swodog on October 29, 2019, 12:32:03 PM
Thank you for the clarification! I didn't want to immediately assume that it was the program itself that was at fault, but rather the unit in question. So that gave me some clarity. But, nonetheless, the nearest unit near me is over an hour there and back and I'm not willing to drive that far, but I'll figure it out.

GroundHawg

Quote from: NIN on October 29, 2019, 01:24:52 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on October 29, 2019, 01:20:20 PM

Or, as you've so ably illustrated, USNSCC suffers from the same issue CAP does: the quality of your local unit is highly dependent on the quality of your local leadership.

It not likely an "off day," but rather an "off command tour."

This is the case with every organization I think. When the cats are away, the mice will play....

Kayll'b

My excperience with the naval cadets is also tons of improffessionalism. I've also heard the same from several others.
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Spam

Quote from: Kayll'b on October 29, 2019, 04:50:52 PM
My excperience with the naval cadets is also tons of improffessionalism. I've also heard the same from several others.

Could your "experience" have been one of "unprofessionalism" on both sides, perhaps?
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=23805.msg422021#msg422021

Lets at least hope they are professional enough to not compose insulting Jodie calls about CAP, right?

Mods, suggest that we nip this in the bud, before our members start trashing other organizations further.

Cheers
Spam

JayT

Quote from: Jim Lahaie on October 28, 2019, 02:33:27 PM
Hello, all...
For the past 6 or so months, I've put forth my best to try and find other military cadet programs to be a part of other than CAP. So far I've found only the following;

Sea Cadets (didn't want to join because I went to a drill weekend, and they are the most unprofessional cadets I've ever seen)
Young Marines (unit too far out)
Air Force Explorers (didn't return calls or emails)
Military Cadets of America (didn't return calls or emails)
Various explorer detachments (either too far out / didn't return calls or emails)
Police Explorers (unit too far out)
JROTC (not old enough)

To set the record straight: I'm not quitting CAP, I just want to serve in a different branch while at the same time serving in CAP. I've seen and heard people that 'retreaded' into other military youth programs (such as a sea cadet that got out and joined CAP), and it seems beneficial. I'd like to try this out, but I have to find a program first. Can any of you provide advice/info/insight?

-C/SMSgt Jim 'Crumbcake' Lahaie

Let me give you some advice dude. I did CAP and JROTC the same time as a kid and it was the worst thing I could have done. It puts you in the same environment and echo chamber for far to much time for no benefit. You're still a child. Focus on school. Focus on studying. Focuse on playing sports and being with your family and preparing for college. One cadet program is enough.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SemperVigHooah

Saw one four-foot-something cadet salute a United States Army full bird colonel INCORRECTLY. The poor colonel had to get an army SSgt to show the young one how to correctly salute in front of his shipmates. Obviously the kid wasn't trained correctly or wasn't trained at all leading up to the event. Very sad to see from someone sporting a Navy-style uniform.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jim Lahaie on October 29, 2019, 06:12:05 PM
Saw one four-foot-something cadet salute a United States Army full bird colonel INCORRECTLY. The poor colonel had to get an army SSgt to show the young one how to correctly salute in front of his shipmates. Obviously the kid wasn't trained correctly or wasn't trained at all leading up to the event. Very sad to see from someone sporting a Navy-style uniform.

CAP's pot is Vantablack® in that regard, and many of its house's windows are broken.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Can someone tell me where our picture perfect CAP squadron is? I'd like to take notes on how they make everyone perfect all the time at all events in all circumstances.

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 29, 2019, 06:22:10 PM
Can someone tell me where our picture perfect CAP squadron is?

The brochures.

"That Others May Zoom"

SemperVigHooah

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 29, 2019, 06:22:10 PM
Can someone tell me where our picture perfect CAP squadron is? I'd like to take notes on how they make everyone perfect all the time at all events in all circumstances.
I never stated that there is a perfect CAP squadron, and wasn't implied at all. I was speaking of my experience with the USN Sea Cadets. In NO circumstances is an incorrect salute where the cadre/staff knew that saluting would be needed excusable. That is a failure by the staff to properly educate the cadets in preparation for the event, not the other way around.