Database of CAP Members Killed on Duty, 1945 - Present

Started by MisterCD, June 22, 2015, 12:21:41 AM

Alaric

Quote from: LSThiker on June 23, 2015, 07:22:40 PM
QuoteJust because a criteria is objective, does not make it good.  Now if the OP intent was only those killed as opposed to those who died while actively on a CAP event, that makes a little more sense.

True, just because something is objective does not make it good. However, it makes it defendable.

If peoe that just happen to be working on CAP items at the time are included, then why not everyone that was in CAP?  The list becomes meaningless. However that does not mean their contributions are meaningless   

Let me propose a scenario. Would you include a person that was on vacation from work, walking across the street. Gets an email on his phone that is CAP related. While reading it, he Gets hit by a car and dies.

Would you include a person that that gets hit by a car while thinking about a proposal for an activity that he was given 1 hr prior?

It would depend on my purpose for memorializing them, If I am memorializing all those who have served in the CAP and are no longer with us, then yes.  If as Mister CD has just indicated it is to memorialize those who were killed (as opposed to died) while performing at a CAP event, then no.  Since the OP intent is now obvious, I may not agree with his criteria but at least it makes an internal logical sense

MisterCD

Quote from: Alaric on June 23, 2015, 07:38:34 PM
QuoteJust because a criteria is objective, does not make it good.  Now if the OP intent was only those killed as opposed to those who died while actively on a CAP event, that makes a little more sense.

True, just because something is objective does not make it good. However, it makes it defendable.

If peoe that just happen to be working on CAP items at the time are included, then why not everyone that was in CAP?  The list becomes meaningless. However that does not mean their contributions are meaningless   

Let me propose a scenario. Would you include a person that was on vacation from work, walking across the street. Gets an email on his phone that is CAP related. While reading it, he Gets hit by a car and dies.

Would you include a person that that gets hit by a car while thinking about a proposal for an activity that he was given 1 hr prior?

It would depend on my purpose for memorializing them, If I am memorializing all those who have served in the CAP and are no longer with us, then yes.  If as Mister CD has just indicated it is to memorialize those who were killed (as opposed to died) while performing at a CAP event, then no.  Since the OP intent is now obvious, I may not agree with his criteria but at least it makes an internal logical sense

This list is not intended in any to replace the memorializing of those who served in CAP and have passed.

Alaric

Quote from: MisterCD on June 23, 2015, 09:39:05 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 23, 2015, 07:38:34 PM

This list is not intended in any to replace the memorializing of those who served in CAP and have passed.

Then I guess I don't get the point, but I don't need to

SarDragon

Just as an aside:

criterion - singular

criteria - plural

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cindi

Good project, I sent details to Seth on 14 year old cadet James Gillie Oppel who died in 1970 and 16 year old cadet Edwin Gueuera who died in 1977, both of whom died in aircraft accidents on official Civil Air Patrol activities.

MisterCD

Quote from: Cindi on June 25, 2015, 12:29:44 AM
Good project, I sent details to Seth on 14 year old cadet James Gillie Oppel who died in 1970 and 16 year old cadet Edwin Gueuera who died in 1977, both of whom died in aircraft accidents on official Civil Air Patrol activities.

Many thanks for sending this info to Seth, it is greatly appreciated.