Non locking thread- hopefully.

Started by RogueLeader, April 02, 2007, 08:22:30 PM

Stonewall

My mom's side comes from Ireland with the last name of Farley.  The Irish language version of this name Ó Faircheallaigh, meaning "extremely warlike".

My dad's side is of German decent.  In fact, I'm the first "Bowden" born in the states from my dad's side.  My dad was born in Berlin in 1941 and didn't come to the states until he was 9 or 10.

Serving since 1987.

ColonelJack

On the English side, here's what I claim as mine.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Fifinella

Mine, Clan Kerr:

I wear it with this  ;D >:D:
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

carnold1836

Here is mine, clan Stuart:

Clan profile

* Gaelic Name: Stiùbhard.
    * Motto: Virescit vulnere virtus (Courage grows strong at a wound).
    * Plant Badge: Thistle.
    * Lands: Renfrewshire, Teviotdale and Lauderdale.
    * Origin of Name: From the High Steward of Scotland.
    * Pipe Music: Bratach Bhan nan Stiubhartach (The white banner of the Stewarts).
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

RogueLeader

I'm 7/8ths German and 1/8th Itallian,
Momamia!  Thats a good bier!!! Prost!!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Lord

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 06:56:35 PM
My mom's side comes from Ireland with the last name of Farley.  The Irish language version of this name Ó Faircheallaigh, meaning "extremely warlike".

My dad's side is of German decent.  In fact, I'm the first "Bowden" born in the states from my dad's side.  My dad was born in Berlin in 1941 and didn't come to the states until he was 9 or 10.

Hey, are those sheep?

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ColonelJack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Major Lord

Thats why Scots wear kilts, those sheep can hear a zipper a mile away!

Capt. Lord
Kilt Wear'n guy of the Clan Macdonald of Clanranald
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ColonelJack

Quote from: CaptLord on April 10, 2007, 10:36:04 PM
Thats why Scots wear kilts, those sheep can hear a zipper a mile away!

Capt. Lord
Kilt Wear'n guy of the Clan Macdonald of Clanranald

Cousin!!!!  MacDonald of the Isles here!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Major Lord

Col. Jack, we should end all these silly arguments about patches and flags, TPU's etc. The only real uniform argument in CAP is: Why have they violated our civil and religious rights by not including the kilt in the 39-1?

Personally, I think that as reform Druids, we should be able to wear the kilt as religious attire, like a Scottish Yamaka....

I found out today that the State of California has a tartan! ( John Muir's family tartan)

I also heard about some kind of Clan in Maxwell, Alabama. They play really dangerous games by adding a burning cross piece to the Caber toss, and wear all white kilts!

Capt. Lord

BillB

The historic reason for the white kilts for the Alabama clan is to contrast with the black van used as a symbol of Bonnie Prince Charlie. The white kilt is worn with a double breasted blue jacket with blue epaulets, often with metal insignia.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ColonelJack

Quote from: CaptLord on April 11, 2007, 12:29:26 AM
Col. Jack, we should end all these silly arguments about patches and flags, TPU's etc. The only real uniform argument in CAP is: Why have they violated our civil and religious rights by not including the kilt in the 39-1?

Personally, I think that as reform Druids, we should be able to wear the kilt as religious attire, like a Scottish Yamaka....

I found out today that the State of California has a tartan! ( John Muir's family tartan)

I also heard about some kind of Clan in Maxwell, Alabama. They play really dangerous games by adding a burning cross piece to the Caber toss, and wear all white kilts!

Capt. Lord

See, I knew you were a person of sense, integrity, and purpose, Captain Lord.  I just knew it.

I too have heard of this Clan in the Alabama area ... though, with typical (?) lack of education, they spell it with a "k" ... and their odd ways.  My sixth sense says steer clear of them, as they're of the ilk that also display predominately red necks, beer bellies, and missing teeth along with their white kilts.

As for wearing the kilt as religious attire ... you mean you don't already???   ;)  I wear mine as often as I can, and even (in another thread) have stated that if I had a personalized Georgia license plate, it would read, "KILTED".

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

fyrfitrmedic

Way before Ellis Island, we were O'Rothláins before we were Rowleys.

The banner should read 'ventus secundis' = 'with favorable winds'; quite appropriate given a long family history of sailing.

My personal arms are a bit obvious to those who know me personally  :D

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

sardak

My family World Cup teams -

Paternal - (all Irish as far back as we can trace) - Boland, Cassidy, Cunningham, Dalton, Duffy, Heery, McDonald, Noonan, Quinn, Sullivan.  The cousins - Colgan, Corrigan, Doyle, Hennessey, Murphy.

Maternal - (Swiss and German) - Arp, Giger, Hammerli, Kubli, Ladehoff, Marti, Stuhr, Zumsteg, and the English - Champlin, Hughes, McDowell, Mecham, Sweet.

Mike

Beagán a rá agus é a rá go maith.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 10, 2007, 05:01:24 PM
I'm 7/8ths German and 1/8th Itallian,
Momamia!  Thats a good bier!!! Prost!!

I'm half Irish and half Polish...

I want to drink, but I can't open the bottle... ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CadetProgramGuy

McLaughlin of the Clan MacLachlan

Motto: Fortis et fidus (Brave and faithful)
Badge: Mountain ash
Lands: Argyll, Lochaber, Perthshire and Stirlingshire
Origin of Name:  Gaelic, MacLachlainn, (Son of Lachlan)
Pipe Music: Moladh Mairi (The praise of Mary)

JC004

Quote from: sardak on April 11, 2007, 06:28:07 AM
My family World Cup teams -

Paternal - (all Irish as far back as we can trace) - Boland, Cassidy, Cunningham, Dalton, Duffy, Heery, McDonald, Noonan, Quinn, Sullivan.  The cousins - Colgan, Corrigan, Doyle, Hennessey, Murphy....

Colgan, eh?

sardak

Quote from: JC004 on April 18, 2007, 03:33:45 AM
The cousins - Colgan, Corrigan, Doyle, Hennessey, Murphy....

Colgan, eh?
Aye, from Counties Down and Antrim.  Several families left Ireland post-famine in the 1850s and 1860s and settled in Stark County, Illinois.  The ones related to me left there for Nebraska but finally settled near Pacific Junction, Iowa.  Anything sound familiar?

Mike

RogueLeader

Quote from: sardak on April 18, 2007, 04:34:48 AM

Colgan, eh?
Aye, from Counties Down and Antrim.  Several families left Ireland post-famine in the 1850s and 1860s and settled in Stark County, Illinois.  The ones related to me left there for Nebraska but finally settled near Pacific Junction, Iowa.  Anything sound familiar?

Mike
Ja. All in US, including Colorado where you are now.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: sardak on April 18, 2007, 04:34:48 AM

Colgan, eh?

Mike

Hum...not too sure...But I think they should have gone to Nebraska and become admirals.