SDA's??

Started by AirAux, April 05, 2009, 01:39:16 PM

AirAux

I recently discovered that some squadrons are not requiring cadets to do SDA's for advancement as cadet officers.  This seems troublesome as it is a requirement for the advancement/promotions of cadet officers.  Does your squadron require SDA's?   

Eclipse

There are units that don't do PT, pencil whip SQTRs, and commit all manner of other program atrocities - that doesn't change the requirements, and the hammer should come down on those commanders hard when its discovered.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Of course, they are required...

SDAs are a big part of the program for Phase III and IV cadets, you are not doing them any favors by not making cadets do them. They require the cadets to work with SMs and learn more about how the squadron operates, as well as demonstate their ability to think and effectively use written communication.

jimmydeanno

Are they not doing the actual SDA or are they not doing the staff service?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Turtle1

Our squadron does have our cadets do the SDA and the actual staff service.  I believe that having them do them will make them better Cadet Officers and when they do enter the Senior part of the program they will have a better idea of what they would like to do.  I have heard of some squadrons who do not- their excuse is that once the Cadet receives his 2ND Lt. he will no longer progress in the program if he has to do the SDAs.  Overall this falls into an integrity issue, if the cadet does not do them and the testing officer does not require them for the next promotion then they are both lacking in integrity.
Marybeth Williams
Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Turtle1 on April 05, 2009, 06:53:15 PMI have heard of some squadrons who do not- their excuse is that once the Cadet receives his 2ND Lt. he will no longer progress in the program if he has to do the SDAs. 

These cadets should continue to be referred to then as "2d Lt's", and after too long a period of no progression, "former cadets."
Quote from: Turtle1 on April 05, 2009, 06:53:15 PMI have heard of some squadrons
Overall this falls into an integrity issue, if the cadet does not do them and the testing officer does not require them for the next promotion then they are both lacking in integrity.

I would say its an integrity issue for the cadets, and verifiable fraud for the seniors involved, and grounds for termination of both, including the cadets, who know exactly what they are getting away with.   >:(

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Turtle1 on April 05, 2009, 06:53:15 PM
Our squadron does have our cadets do the SDA and the actual staff service.  I believe that having them do them will make them better Cadet Officers and when they do enter the Senior part of the program they will have a better idea of what they would like to do.  I have heard of some squadrons who do not- their excuse is that once the Cadet receives his 2ND Lt. he will no longer progress in the program if he has to do the SDAs.  Overall this falls into an integrity issue, if the cadet does not do them and the testing officer does not require them for the next promotion then they are both lacking in integrity.
If a cadet stagnates in the program because they are not capable of completing an SDA, then they should not be a cadet officer, as they are obviously not ready. I have found the requirements for most SDAs are no worse than what a high school upperclassmen should have to deal with on a frequent basis, I really don't understand what so many cadets find so difficult about them (other than that they require more effort than reading a chapter in a book and taking a 25 question test...). If a cadet fails to progress because they are too lazy to meet the requirements, you shouldn't make it easier for them, you should motivate them to do it.

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on April 05, 2009, 10:03:55 PMI really don't understand what so many cadets find so difficult about them (other than that they require more effort than reading a chapter in a book and taking a 25 question test...). If a cadet fails to progress because they are too lazy to meet the requirements, you shouldn't make it easier for them, you should motivate them to do it.

The answer is in your question.

Far too much, and increasingly so, of the "learning" our kids are doing today is test-focused for things like NCLB, and far too little is subjective like essays.

"That Others May Zoom"

Michael

My squadron indeed does SDAs. 

In fact, we often go through the actual position long before the SDA is written, due to our size.

I was able to draw on several years of experience when writing some of mine, which was nice.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

USADOD

SDA's have always been mandatory with my squadron. Hmph, did I miss the optional section in the regs?
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: USADOD on April 17, 2009, 05:26:11 AM
SDA's have always been mandatory with my squadron. Hmph, did I miss the optional section in the regs?

[drift]

Aparently there are optional regs.  Have you seen some of the Uniforms lately?

[/drift]