Hypothetical Situation

Started by MIKE, July 17, 2005, 11:04:05 PM

MIKE

Ok hypothetical situation time:  Lets say you have a cadet who joins a squadron when he or she is 12 or so years old.  This cadet stays active for six months or so and attains a grade no higher than C/SrA... Or joined prior to the implantation of the WBA and does not complete requirements for the Mitchell award.  The cadets membership expires when the cadet fails to renew at the end of the cadets membership year.

Five years later the cadets records have not been requested and are destroyed in accordance with CAP regulations.

On the sixth year, the former cadet requests membership in the same unit, or possibly a unit in another locale.

I assume CAPNHQ would have a record of this cadets original join date, but other than that there should be no way to recover any earned grade as all other records would have been destroyed... The CAPF 52-1 for example, and there is no concrete proof of any earned grade.

For cadets who complete milestone awards, I assume there is enough proof to warrant recovery of the grade associated with the award, but what about subsequent promotions?

I suppose this applies equally well to a cadet who transfers to a new squadron with incomplete records... Like blank CAPF 52 series forms etc.

What do you do?
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

There may not be much you can do for the current hypothetical rejoiner, but for the future, make personal copies of all the important things that transpire in a cadet's career. Encourage them to retain them until they are no longer useful, and explain how long that useful period might exten into their lives.

Also, read the 52-16 for the limits on grade restoration. The loss of records might be as important as you think.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CMetzger42

Actually, read the CAPR 39-2, Chapter 4 "Membership Renewals". Cadets not rejoining within 180 days of their expiration date do not get their achievements back.

MIKE

Quote from: CMetzger42 on July 18, 2005, 01:44:07 AM
Actually, read the CAPR 39-2, Chapter 4 "Membership Renewals". Cadets not rejoining within 180 days of their expiration date do not get their achievements back.

Rodger.  8)

Quote from: CAPR 39-24-2. a. Cadets not renewing within 90 days following their membership expiration date have the option of rejoining (through their unit of assignment providing they still meet the initial membership eligibility criteria), or late renewing. Late renewals will be accepted up to 180 days from the expiration date and are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters and payment of retroactive membership dues.
1) Cadets rejoining after a break in service will be credited with previous accomplishments as evidenced in their personnel files.

If this is the case, I've seen it ignored on multiple occasions with cadets who rejoined after a break in service greater than 180 days where records still existed... Cadets were accepted into the unit at their former grade after resubmitting a CAPF 15 and membership fee.  As far as I can tell CAPNHQ accepts the application, but doesn't send another cadet packet.  Don't recall any of them being required to pay retroactive dues either.  :o >:(

Mike Johnston

CMetzger42

I've seen it ignored as well, but NHQ can't see as much as the local squadron. As far as NHQ is concerned, they just got another cadet and their expiration month changes. There are no retroactive fees because it's not even half a year. The only way it would become an issue is if the cadet were to apply for a milestone without the requisite time since their new join date.

MIKE

Quote from: CMetzger42 on July 18, 2005, 02:11:05 AM
I've seen it ignored as well, but NHQ can't see as much as the local squadron. As far as NHQ is concerned, they just got another cadet and their expiration month changes. There are no retroactive fees because it's not even half a year. The only way it would become an issue is if the cadet were to apply for a milestone without the requisite time since their new join date.

Emphasis added.

But the times I've seen it done, there had usually been a break in service of at least a whole year... Usually two or more.

Looks like NHQ isn't catching it and are pretty much treating this as a new member with an earlier joined date... Or they just don't care.  :'(
Mike Johnston

CMetzger42

Quote from: MIKE on July 18, 2005, 02:38:22 AM
But the times I've seen it done, there had usually been a break in service of at least a whole year... Usually two or more.

Looks like NHQ isn't catching it and are pretty much treating this as a new member with an earlier joined date... Or they just don't care.  :'(

It makes sense then. If the break has been over a year, there's no fees to charge, because to NHQ, they haven't been a member for over a year. Them sending in the fees just starts them over from the beginning so they change the expiration month accordingly. If they were to actually rejoin, the expiration month wouldn't change, and they'd be charged, but you can't do that with a cadet. You can with a senior, since a senior can rejoin up to 2 years after expiration, in which case they would be charged with the extra membership fees.

As I said, it's just easier for NHQ to reset them, and it only becomes an issue if they apply for a milestone, because that's the only time NHQ would see paperwork that would cause a problem. (52-1, -2, etc.)

MIKE

* BUMP *

Quote from: CAPR 39-24-2. a. Cadets not renewing within 90 days following their membership expiration date have the option of rejoining (through their unit of assignment providing they still meet the initial membership eligibility criteria), or late renewing. Late renewals will be accepted up to 180 days from the expiration date and are subject to acceptance by the unit and higher headquarters and payment of retroactive membership dues.
1) Cadets rejoining after a break in service will be credited with previous accomplishments as evidenced in their personnel files.

Looking at this again, it looks as if a cadet could possibly rejoin the unit of assignment and would not be subject to the 180 day limit for a late renewal.  This allows a cadet to rejoin the unit of assignment at any point after the 180 day limit for a late renewal... Limiting factor for retention of earned grade being the presence of a personnel file per CAPR 4-2. a. 1).
Mike Johnston