Integrity question

Started by Rosco P, March 28, 2014, 09:37:26 PM

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on April 04, 2014, 04:05:02 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 04, 2014, 04:03:20 AM
An admin, personnel, or test control officer could do the same or more background "damage" for their kid or friends as a CC could do in the light of day.

Agree....we discussed this before about the unwritten rule about parents proctoring their own cadet's test.

Unwritten? Heck, my squadron's testing policy actually said that a testing officer could not proctor his or her own children's tests (see attached).

We also had some checks and balances built in there to prevent testing strangeness, but they weren't 100% automatic or obvious. At one point my Deputy for Cadets, doing a periodic supervisory "once over" of the testing logs and documentation, noticed that there were some irregularities in the ways tests were being administered. 

We looked a little closer and noted that over about a 9 month period, there were over 90 tests administered (logged) to the cadets of the squadron, and of those, nearly 40 had some kind of "issue" (not on a testing night, the testing officer administered a test to his kids, the test headers were missing out of the personnel file, etc.)   The TO acted like it was "no big deal," but when I showed him what I'd found, he knew that I'd caught him trying to pull a fast one.  Cadets testing on weekends & non-meeting weeknights, etc.  Strangely, the cadets testing on "off" nights were either his kids or his son's girlfriend. Curious. (in one instance, the testing officer's son took a test and the testing officer's initials on the log were blank. The TO swore on his mother's grave claimed the alternate testing officer administered that one, but on closer examination of our sign-in sheets, the ATO was not at that meeting that night. Always sign in, folks!!)

Suffice to say, he stopped being the testing officer.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 15, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on July 15, 2014, 07:09:20 AM
15 year old Spaatz Cadet and DCC mom? That smells suspicious. Explain?
There was a point in time when one could join as a cadet as long as you were in 6th grade.  We had some cadets in the program as young as 10.  Additionally, rules have since been clarified that the 56 day wait time is between achievements AND awards, before it was just between achievements (by the letter of the reg).  Even without a CDC mom, one could earn the Spaatz Award by 15 with time like that.

The youngest Spaatz cadet in CAP history was 13.  She joined with the homeschool 6th-grade waiver and fast-promoted before the 56-day rule. 

A one-time special case we won't see again.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Back in Arkansas, we had a mom/daughter team. The mom was all about aerospace education and got her daughter in as soon as she was able to. She promoted every 2 months. Like clockwork. 100% on all her exams. I was DCC at the time, and the mom was leadership officer.

She was a nightmare, to say the least. Everything she did, she did for further glory of her agenda. She got the cadet rolls up from 12 active to around 50 within a few months. Of course, they didn't last long.

Meanwhile, daughter was a nightmare to herself. Every time she was told to do something, she begrudgingly roller her eyes an gave attitude. At 13, she has become a C/MSGT, heading for her Mitchell

I had 2 cadets heading towards the same goal at the same time. They were outstanding cadets, headed to AFROTC in the fall, so getting their Mitchell would help immensely. Since she was also a testing officer, their SDAs were always wrong. Nothing right, do it over again. Meanwhile, daughter sails through her first one with no issues at all. I still have the paper copy somewhere.

Complaints arise about how they are being treated, CC is not backing me up at all. She has made the squadron look good, and having a young, shining example of cadethood as her daughter will be a good thing. She sails through the program, 100% on everything. EVERYTHING. And her attitude was regressing as fast as she was progressing.

I ended up quitting as DCC over this. Not getting backup, having everything I tried to do overruled "for the good of the outfit". She ended up taking over, and daughter became not only the first Spaatz cadet in the unit, but the youngest in Wing history.

ES was being shoved in a closet because every weekend she had something AE related going on, and "she didn't want to burn out the cadets." My aunt fanny.

Ends up, lots of bad things happen, daughter's attitude towards everything culminated in a chewing out by me, and me getting chewed out by the CC, over a flagrant safety violation (she decided to close the hangar door because the sun was in her eyes, and didn't follow any of the posted safety protocol, jeopardizing several cadets' lives). Mom was angry that I yelled at her little angel. So I left for 6 years.

I got my revenge. Her younger daughter eventually ended up a pot head, and the nightmare one became a lesbian, last I heard, way against the parents' religious sensibilities.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

So how is the fact that she became a lesbian your revenge?  Please explain.

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2014, 05:39:09 PM

I think it has to do with the last line...karma and all that...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on July 15, 2014, 05:43:12 PM

Her fundamentally religious mother was adamantly against homosexuality, so not really MY revenge but karma biting her in the hoo ha

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 15, 2014, 05:57:45 PM

Her fundamentally religious mother was adamantly against homosexuality, so not really MY revenge but karma biting her in the hoo ha

You do know there are a number of gay people out there who are very religious, right?
As in ordained Minister religious...

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2014, 08:21:11 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 15, 2014, 05:57:45 PM

Forget it. I am sorry I even went off on the subject in the first place.

NIN

Phil, most of the ultra-fundie religious types consider homosexuality to be an abomination. Therefore you don't tend to find a lot of tremendously fundamentalist religious types who are also gay.

There's a difference between being a right wing conservative and gay ( I know plenty, some are former cadets ), and some of the more extreme religious fundamentalism.  There just isn't any comparison.

Kind of like you don't find a lot of hardcore fundamentalist Islamic types who enjoy the occasional BLT...

I have seen the parental agenda pushers, the parent joins and their little angel can do no wrong, and they basically crap on everybody else.

Over the years, however, the number parents I've seen join who have been harder on their kid, and have gone out of their way to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, is far far higher than the number of people I have seen who tried to give their kid an improper leg up.

[Edit: Words are hard. Grammar. Spelling]
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LATORRECA

This posting can be a little rough to follow, English is my second language, good luck.,

I have seen two cases one good and one bad.
  When I was a cadet in the PR wing, I saw the son of the wing commander going trough the ranks so quick, that one day he was one rank and a month later was another. He also was one of the most decorated cadets, I ever seen. Take in count this is in 1994 no computers or e service was available. Eventually he never received the spatzz because he was never able to past the test and daddy couldn't influence that. The influence of his father reflect on the cadets attitudes, the cadet was arrogant, and had no leadership ability at all and his awards multiply every wing conference, I went. He won the cadet of the year for the wing while daddy was on the seat. What an influence!
   The second case took place in a composite squadron, SC. I was the DCC at the time and a family brought their two oldest sons. One was really great while the other was out of shape. After a while their parents got involved in the program and I was very clear with them, no favoritism will take place while I'm in charge of the cadet program.
   Time pass, the one out of shape was a little immature and I had my doubts on his physical shape and ability of him passing the CPFT. So, I did not recommend him for promotion and hold it. I did a CAP Form-50 on the cadet. I explain him in front of his parents, what his short falls were and what he need it to do in order to improve. Eventually the kid got promoted and better his attitude and physical fitness. A year later, I had to stepped down due to my military commitment. Before I left the unit, I brought the father whom at the time was my ADCC and I explained him, about been fair and no favoritism could take place. It was the way to go.
  3 years later, the two cadets are spatzz recipients but they fail, struggle, and suffer whoever they learned
Ll and put a lot of hard work into the program. Eventually the mother became the CC and the program kept flourishing with several Mitchell's and Earhart's. Also, the unit has flourish not just with in its own area but also in the wing and region. Both cadets have been in the units c/CC's whoever they have their fare share of complains and issues. However, the cadets work hard and nothing was given to them.
     The program can function with parents as CC's and c/CC. The program has it flaws but what those individuals need is mentoring as soon they come in. Seniors and cadets alike.  Good luck to all.

Heavy Flying Guy

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 15, 2014, 05:29:38 PM

Back in Arkansas, we had a mom/daughter team. The mom was all about aerospace education and got her daughter in as soon as she was able to. She promoted every 2 months. Like clockwork. 100% on all her exams. I was DCC at the time, and the mom was leadership officer.

She was a nightmare, to say the least. Everything she did, she did for further glory of her agenda. She got the cadet rolls up from 12 active to around 50 within a few months. Of course, they didn't last long.

Meanwhile, daughter was a nightmare to herself. Every time she was told to do something, she begrudgingly roller her eyes an gave attitude. At 13, she has become a C/MSGT, heading for her Mitchell

I had 2 cadets heading towards the same goal at the same time. They were outstanding cadets, headed to AFROTC in the fall, so getting their Mitchell would help immensely. Since she was also a testing officer, their SDAs were always wrong. Nothing right, do it over again. Meanwhile, daughter sails through her first one with no issues at all. I still have the paper copy somewhere.

Complaints arise about how they are being treated, CC is not backing me up at all. She has made the squadron look good, and having a young, shining example of cadethood as her daughter will be a good thing. She sails through the program, 100% on everything. EVERYTHING. And her attitude was regressing as fast as she was progressing.

I ended up quitting as DCC over this. Not getting backup, having everything I tried to do overruled "for the good of the outfit". She ended up taking over, and daughter became not only the first Spaatz cadet in the unit, but the youngest in Wing history.

ES was being shoved in a closet because every weekend she had something AE related going on, and "she didn't want to burn out the cadets." My aunt fanny.

Ends up, lots of bad things happen, daughter's attitude towards everything culminated in a chewing out by me, and me getting chewed out by the CC, over a flagrant safety violation (she decided to close the hangar door because the sun was in her eyes, and didn't follow any of the posted safety protocol, jeopardizing several cadets' lives). Mom was angry that I yelled at her little angel. So I left for 6 years.

I got my revenge. Her younger daughter eventually ended up a pot head, and the nightmare one became a lesbian, last I heard, way against the parents' religious sensibilities.
This is the first time something I've posted has escalated into a talk about homosexuality and religion.
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

SarDragon

Isn't it more fun than that other topic that most threads seem to drift to?  ;) >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Which one other topic? Uniforms? Uniforms??? There, I have changed it now!!!

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

jeders

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 17, 2014, 12:13:39 PM

No, all you've done is connect the topics. This is how you change it:

I believe that whenever a parent in CAP has a child in CAP, the cadet should get an extra ribbon showing just how special they are.

>:D >:D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Garibaldi

Quote from: jeders on July 17, 2014, 01:35:14 PM

I believe that whenever a parent in CAP has a child in CAP, the cadet should get an extra ribbon showing just how special they are.

Can they put the ribbon on their ABUs when we get them? If they get a lot of "feel good" and "showing up" ribbons they can wear a bright blue sash with the ribbons and medals on them, right?

jeders

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 17, 2014, 01:45:04 PM

Can they put the ribbon on their ABUs when we get them? If they get a lot of "feel good" and "showing up" ribbons they can wear a bright blue sash with the ribbons and medals on them, right?

Absolutely.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

Quote from: jeders on July 17, 2014, 01:51:52 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 17, 2014, 01:45:04 PM

Absolutely.

You should be ashamed
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Luis R. Ramos

Am I  :-[  ?

Not!    >:D

How about you, Garibaldi or Jeders?

Are you  :-[  or  >:D ?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 17, 2014, 03:15:16 PM
Am I  :-[  ?

Not!    >:D

How about you, Garibaldi or Jeders?

Are you  :-[  or  >:D ?

You know me better than that!

lordmonar

Bahh!  A ribbon!  They should get a black shoulder cord! :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP