Cadet Failing Squadron Standards

Started by alexkmmll, May 04, 2011, 03:08:54 AM

alexkmmll

This cadet, we will just call him Cadet X, has been a problem for our Squadron for a while now. About two months ago, he was placed in an Element Leader position. As an E-Lead, he failed to use Chain of Command, and we recieved several complaints from Seniors about calls recieved from Cadet X. When our DCC and 1st Sgt. confronted him, his mother told them off.

After a review of the case, his E-Lead position was revoked. Over a month later, he comes to the Cadet 1st Sgt. (I joined in on the conversation due to the fact that I am on Staff). He was asking for his position back, claiming that the DCC (Who is no longer with our squadron due to what had happened earlier with this cadet) had said that in 30 days, he would be given his position back. We told him we would look into it.

While filing our last pieces of paperwork after the end of our meeting, the Squadron Commander pulled us aside. Apparently, after confronting us, he went straight to the Squadron Commander, requesting his position back. He also said he was given permission by Cadet Staff. To make things worse, we found out that in 30 days, it would be up for discussion on whether or not he was ready for his position back.

This cadet is not one that I enjoy seeing every week. He is immature, arrogant to the highest degree, selfish, and noncompliant. He is one to start rumors and brag in the squadron, and he lies to Staff and Seniors. Staff is now unsure of what to do with this cadet. Unfortunately, everytime we confront him, he pulls his parents into it.

Please help!

mclarke

Quote from: alexkmmll on May 04, 2011, 03:08:54 AM
This cadet, we will just call him Cadet X, has been a problem for our Squadron for a while now. About two months ago, he was placed in an Element Leader position. As an E-Lead, he failed to use Chain of Command, and we recieved several complaints from Seniors about calls recieved from Cadet X. When our DCC and 1st Sgt. confronted him, his mother told them off.

After a review of the case, his E-Lead position was revoked. Over a month later, he comes to the Cadet 1st Sgt. (I joined in on the conversation due to the fact that I am on Staff). He was asking for his position back, claiming that the DCC (Who is no longer with our squadron due to what had happened earlier with this cadet) had said that in 30 days, he would be given his position back. We told him we would look into it.

While filing our last pieces of paperwork after the end of our meeting, the Squadron Commander pulled us aside. Apparently, after confronting us, he went straight to the Squadron Commander, requesting his position back. He also said he was given permission by Cadet Staff. To make things worse, we found out that in 30 days, it would be up for discussion on whether or not he was ready for his position back.

This cadet is not one that I enjoy seeing every week. He is immature, arrogant to the highest degree, selfish, and noncompliant. He is one to start rumors and brag in the squadron, and he lies to Staff and Seniors. Staff is now unsure of what to do with this cadet. Unfortunately, everytime we confront him, he pulls his parents into it.

Please help!

Sounds like you also need to use your chain of command. CAPtalk has a lot of information, but these kind of situations are best handled within the squadron. That said, I will tel you what I suggest since you have posted here.

Speak with your chain of command. You said the cadet has been confronted, and one member is gone already. I would maybe pull the parent in (politely) and speak with her about the situation. This needs to be done with a minimum of the Squadron Commander and DCC. In the event this goes nowhere, you may need to 2B this cadet or go to wing and get there recommendation. I will say this however. It seems this situation is not longer in the realm of cadet staff, but instead should be in that of the Seniors. Use your chain of commander and hand the situation over to Seniors.

alexkmmll

Quote from: mclarke on May 04, 2011, 03:17:08 AM
Quote from: alexkmmll on May 04, 2011, 03:08:54 AM

Please help!

Sounds like you also need to use your chain of command. CAPtalk has a lot of information, but these kind of situations are best handled within the squadron. That said, I will tel you what I suggest since you have posted here.

Speak with your chain of command. You said the cadet has been confronted, and one member is gone already. I would maybe pull the parent in (politely) and speak with her about the situation. This needs to be done with a minimum of the Squadron Commander and DCC. In the event this goes nowhere, you may need to 2B this cadet or go to wing and get there recommendation. I will say this however. It seems this situation is not longer in the realm of cadet staff, but instead should be in that of the Seniors. Use your chain of commander and hand the situation over to Seniors.

Yes, you are completely right. Currently, we have been working with the Squadron Commander to try and get this one solved. I really wanted another opinion on it though. Right now, we're doing more to punish what he's already done than to prevent future incidents.
(By the way, Im also from WI. I'll give you a hint: We hosted Wing Conference this year.)

mclarke

One thing I saw once in the military (now this is something you could speak to your staff about) is putting someone who is a problem in charge of a lot of responsibility. However, nothing critical should be handled. Something like flag duty, something to build pride and self-confidence. You have to remember we can not "discipline" cadets, but we can redirect their focus to positive thing and self-appreciation.

My question is, has anyone thought to find out WHY he is acting out? What may be going on at home? School? Work (if he has a job)? There could be underlying issues (which none of it should be discussed here). The fact that a cadet is acting out and bragging may be from other reasons. Just a thought before you make a personal grudge or mark the cadet as a problem.

Eclipse

I might suggest posting this on Cadetstuff - that board is focused more on cadets in general from all similar organizations, and has a
large number of experienced cadets and ex-cadets who participate.

Assuming there is command imperative on the situation, it sounds like it is time for a Form 50 session with this cadet to get
some objective issues on paper and clarify the situation for all involved.  A cadet element leader is in no position to be "telling" anyone anything.

To the specifics:

Assuming by "DCC" you are referring to the Senior-Member Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC, not DCC), then is is appropriate for
mom to be addressing the issue with him, however if the DCC and 1st Sgt in this situation are both cadets, then it was inappropriate
for a parent to be "telling them off", and the senior commanders should have intervened before she was even allowed contact with
the cadets, let alone confronting them.  It is 100% unacceptable for a parent to be confrontational with other cadets.

Anything promised to this cadet by a member who is no longer with the unit is null and void, regardless.

I would suggest not "hinting" about anything, as airing laundry in forums like this is a bad idea.  General questions like this are fine,
but CAP is a small town with lots of hall monitors.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: mclarke on May 04, 2011, 03:31:00 AMYou have to remember we can not "discipline" cadets, but we can redirect their focus to positive thing and self-appreciation.

There are any number of disciplinary actions available to unit leaders for situations where they are disruptive, insubordinate, or not meeting expectations.
Correctly used and accepted, disciplinary actions can be some of the best lessons CAP teaches.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: mclarke on May 04, 2011, 03:31:00 AMYou have to remember we can not "discipline" cadets, but we can redirect their focus to positive thing and self-appreciation.

Say again over!

We most certainly can discipline our cadets. 

Quote from: mclarke on May 04, 2011, 03:31:00 AMMy question is, has anyone thought to find out WHY he is acting out? What may be going on at home? School? Work (if he has a job)? There could be underlying issues (which none of it should be discussed here). The fact that a cadet is acting out and bragging may be from other reasons. Just a thought before you make a personal grudge or mark the cadet as a problem.

I understand what you are saying.....but bottom line...the standards are standards.  If a cadet can't meet them then he will be disciplined.  Don't care if he has a bad home life or is ADHD or what ever.  I will tailor my leadership style to fit the cadet and/or situation, of course.   However, I will not lower the standards.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jks19714

Unfortunately, we can not 2b some of the parents...  ;D

I used to advise college undergrads and had more difficulties with some of the parents than their offspring.

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

sneakers

"Say again over!

We most certainly can discipline our cadets. 

I understand what you are saying.....but bottom line...the standards are standards.  If a cadet can't meet them then he will be disciplined.  Don't care if he has a bad home life or is ADHD or what ever.  I will tailor my leadership style to fit the cadet and/or situation, of course.   However, I will not lower the standards."

Thank you. I really appreciate someone who recognizes that fact.

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2011, 04:38:53 AM
Assuming by "DCC" you are referring to the Senior-Member Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC, not DCC)

slight thread jack-

but according to which reg?  CAPR 10-1 only mentions CD as deputy commander and CP as cadet programs.  And in the heading it even states that these are not to be confused with duty titles.

Also bear in mind that neither CDC nor DCC is mentioned in any regulation that I could find.

As to the OP,
keep in mind that depending on what your staff position is in your squadron, by going to the squadron commander or deputy commander for cadet directly, you are in essence just as guilty as jumping the chain of command.  At no time should cadets in a composite squadron be dealing with the Squadron Commander without the Deputy Commander for Cadets present or informed.

Also depending on your position in staff, it is well within the realm of a cadet staff to administer a CAPF 50.  Given the nature of this event, I would advise that the Deputy Commander for Cadets be present.  It will help to have the issues documented if things ever escalate beyond the squadron.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on May 13, 2011, 03:29:42 PM
Assuming by "DCC" you are referring to the Senior-Member Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC, not DCC)

slight thread jack-

but according to which reg?  CAPR 10-1 only mentions CD as deputy commander and CP as cadet programs.  And in the heading it even states that these are not to be confused with duty titles.

Also bear in mind that neither CDC nor DCC is mentioned in any regulation that I could find.

See below.  Sinn gets the nicer Christmas card from me this year!

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: jks19714 on May 04, 2011, 07:18:45 PM

I used to advise college undergrads and had more difficulties with some of the parents than their offspring.

john

I once saw a professor have a parent forceibly removed from thier office.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davidsinn

Quote from: tsrup on May 13, 2011, 03:29:42 PM

slight thread jack-

Make sure you are using the current regs. CAPR 10-1 has all the office designators CDC and CDS are listed. 10-1 was last updated in Feb.

QuoteAttachment 1 ─ Functional Address Symbols
Office symbols may be used alone (CC) or with the organization designation (CAP/CC). Some office symbols apply to specific command levels or organizations (e.g., CAP/XX for National volunteer leadership; NHQ/XX for National Headquarters; GLR/XX for Great Lakes Region; MIWG/XX for Michigan Wing; MI248/XX for Kellogg Senior Squadron; CAP-USAF/XX for Headquarters, CAP-USAF).
Commander ............................................... CC
Vice Commander ...................................... CV
Deputy Commander ................................... CD
Deputy Commander for Cadets ........... CDC
Deputy Commander for Seniors .......... CDS
Executive Director (NHQ only)................. EX
Chief of Staff ............................................. CS
Command Chief Master Sgt.....................CCC
First Sergeant ............................................. CCF
(Cadet or Composite Squadrons only)
Administration .......................................... DA
Aerospace Education ................................ AE
Cadet Programs ......................................... CP
Chaplain .................................................... HC
Communications ....................................... DC
Controller (National staff only).................. NC
Educational Programs (NHQ only)............ ED
Finance ...................................................... FM
General Counsel (NHQ only) .................... GC
Government Relations Advisor ................. GR
Health Services .......................................... HS
Historian .....................................................HO
Information Technology.............................IT
Inspector General .......................................IG
Legal Officer ..............................................JA
Logistics .....................................................LG
A/C Maintenance Officer ....................LGM
Supply Officer .....................................LGS
Transportation Officer .........................LGT
Operations ..................................................DO
Counterdrug..........................................DOC
Emergency Services ............................DOS
Homeland Security...............................DOH
Standardization/Evaluation ..................DOV
Personnel ...................................................DP
Plans and Programs ....................................XP
Professional Development ........................PD
Public Affairs .............................................PA
Public Awareness (NHQ only) ...................PM
Membership Services (NHQ only).......PMM
Safety .........................................................SE
Wing Administrator (NHQ employee) .......WA
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BillB

And what do you call a Group or Wing Director of Cadet Programs? He/she is not the Deupty Commander for cadets Programs?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on May 13, 2011, 05:06:06 PM
And what do you call a Group or Wing Director of Cadet Programs? He/she is not the Deupty Commander for cadets Programs?

At the Wing level you call them Director of Cadet Programs (CP).

At the Group Level You call them Cadet Programs Officer (CP), as Directors only exist at the Wing Level or higher.
Remember, these are office symbols, not title abbreviations.  That is where people get confused.

Wings and higher do not have Deputy Commanders, they have a single Vice Commander (VC) and a Chief of Staff(CS) since they are Headquarters Components,  not operational units.  With that said, Groups are HQ components as well, so should probably also be VC & CS, though today
they still have CD's and no CS in the official structure.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Thanks David, looks like I'll be downloading a new batch of regs soon.

So Eclipse, tell me if Im not following,

CDC= Deputy Commander of Cadets -Office symbol
DCC= Deputy Commander of Cadets -Acceptable Title abbreviation?  Or not at all?
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on May 13, 2011, 05:32:35 PM

DCC should not be used at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on May 13, 2011, 05:39:02 PM
Quote from: tsrup on May 13, 2011, 05:32:35 PM

DCC should not be used at all.

Asked and answered, Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Paramedic
hang-around.

jks19714

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 13, 2011, 04:13:14 PM
Quote from: jks19714 on May 04, 2011, 07:18:45 PM

john

I once saw a professor have a parent forcibly removed from thier office.

Been there, done that.  Also had to get a "no contact order" against a parent who did not understand that Federal Law does not permit me to discuss their offspring's college grades and wouldn't let it go.

Being new to CAP, I am still trying to figure out when to be "the bad guy" and when to let it go.  Some of the behavior I observe in terms of bearing of cadet NCOs and officers amazes me.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer