School Letters

Started by NC Hokie, April 28, 2010, 07:25:30 PM

NC Hokie

I'm in the process of putting together recruiting packets to be mailed to the local private school administrations, explaining the cadet program as well as CAP's external aerospace opportunities.  Since I don't like to reinvent the wheel (especially if there's a really effective one out there), I'd be interested in seeing what anyone else has come up with in this area.  Sample letters, resources, suggestions...what have you?

For the record, my plan is to include the following documents along with a brief letter of introduction:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Todays_Cadets_2009_Layout_1_3A50C4A38A06F.pdf
http://www.capmembers.com/aerospace_education/join_as_aem.cfm
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

RiverAux

My first thought was that this was going to be a proposal for putting school letters on CAP uniforms....  ;)
But, what you suggest is a much better idea.

I'd probably not go too much beyond those items.  I'm assuming that you're sending them letters primarily to suggest an in-person meeting to discuss possible recruiting and AE events at the school?  Thats great. 

To tell the truth I've had good success just sending emails to the administration with links to appropriate documents and web sites.  I think I got better response since all they had to do was click reply.  With a letter you're leaving them the "burden" of instigating a call, email, or letter and many might just let your letter get covered up with the stacks of other paperwork they're dealing with.

Pylon

I used the attached letter in 2005 in a mailing to teachers, encouraging them to share an upcoming squadron open house flyer with their students (and also encouraging them to attend).

I've also found the "Investing in America's Youth" booklet the most helpful publication/tool to "sell" the benefits of the cadet program to outsiders: educators, school administrators, potential grant makers or donors, elected officials.  I try to include one whenever I need to sell the benefits of the CP.

At one time, I made a speadsheet of every principal and guidance counselor in the 5 school districts that fell within my squadron's catchment area (including their name, title, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail when available), but never got the intended mailing and e-mail campaign together in time for the open house push that year.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP