Main Menu

What Is This?

Started by Archer, March 08, 2014, 03:46:08 AM

Archer

http://imgur.com/mL8IaS7

I saw it. On the internet. I believe that's a CAP member at a squadron change of command. Can someone explain this, please?

LSThiker

That looks like a person giving a talk (probably on the history of CAP) in a historical CAP uniform from WWII-era time period.

Panache

We're not getting ABU's, but apparently we're going back to Khakis!   :clap:

(Hey, a guy can hope...)

vento

Quote from: Panache on March 08, 2014, 04:08:38 AM
We're not getting ABU's, but apparently we're going back to Khakis!   :clap:

(Hey, a guy can hope...)

This is the pink and green uniform, not even close to Khakis.  >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

There are also CAP Re-enactor groups (I know of one on Facebook).  This gentleman could belong to one of them.

He certainly looks sharp in his pinks and greens.  I would sell both my AF-style uniforms and my G/W to be allowed to wear that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

rugger1869

Quote from: CyBorg on March 08, 2014, 05:50:34 AM
There are also CAP Re-enactor groups (I know of one on Facebook).  This gentleman could belong to one of them.

He certainly looks sharp in his pinks and greens.  I would sell both my AF-style uniforms and my G/W to be allowed to wear that.

I agree.. pinks and greens are by far the best and distinctive!

Archer

There's a clear need for a better corporate service dress equivalent, any particular reason this would be a poor suggestion?

SarDragon

Quote from: Archer on March 08, 2014, 09:12:20 AM
There's a clear need for a better corporate service dress equivalent, any particular reason this would be a poor suggestion?

Availability. Because of economy of scale issues, I'm guessing that this uniform would cost half again as much as the regular Air Force uniform.

We currently have 34253 senior members (as of 28 Feb 2014). Not everyone is going to buy one of these new uniforms. We'll guess half, and round to 17,500.

11 male coat sizes (32-52), times 3 (S, R, L) gives us 33 guys sizes. Let's add the same numbers for gal's sizes. That's 66 sizes. We'll assume 80% guys, and 20% gals. Crunching the numbers, we get 425 male uniforms in each size, and 107 female uniforms in each size. That's not hardly worth doing the setup.

Then how do you figure out how many more for new acquisitions each year? Who gets  to stock them? I'm sure there are other Qs I can't come up with at 0145.

Bottom line, as kool as you think this uniform is, it's not practical.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

rugger1869

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=105&cat=OFFICERS+UNIFORMS

$95.00 for just a shirt.

However, I'd think that if a place that was already producing this stuff for re-enactors had a sudden inject of 35000 customers the price would drop to a reasonable level per contract.

SarDragon

The Army khaki stuff is $335 for the package deal. Add accessories, and it's well over $400. There's another package deal that might be pink & greens (no pic) for $425. Add accessories, and it's over $500. Currently available sizes seem to be for the larger folks, leaving our younger, smaller members wanting.

Since this uniform seems to be popular with the reenactors, I see another problem - how do we maintain a difference between the real members, and the "fake" folks?

I see ideas, but no plan.

Time for bed. See y'all in the morning.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Archer on March 08, 2014, 09:12:20 AM

Because it's green? In all seriousness, SarDragon hit the nail on the head.

Walkman

I agree with all the logic posted above, but I have to admit that it is one dang sharp uniform. All practicalities aside, I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

We went to a WWII re-enactment event a couple of years ago (photos here), and it was a ton of fun. My wife & I have thought about taking up that hobby, and I would love to get that uniform.

Panache

Quote from: Walkman on March 08, 2014, 03:02:36 PM
I agree with all the logic posted above, but I have to admit that it is one dang sharp uniform. All practicalities aside, I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

Yeah.  Financial realities aside, it's stylin'.  I too would wear it in a heartbeat.

SunDog

Quote from: rugger1869 on March 08, 2014, 09:57:02 AM
http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=105&cat=OFFICERS+UNIFORMS

$95.00 for just a shirt.

However, I'd think that if a place that was already producing this stuff for re-enactors had a sudden inject of 35000 customers the price would drop to a reasonable level per contract.

Sharp duds, and while I'd probably give it a pass, I'd have no issue with it. But I think the potential CAP market is smaller than the official SM count - remember, a lot of folks aren't participating, just renewing annually. Other folks get by on the polo shirt, a rare wear of the blazer, and a flight suit.

Shuman 14

What you're missing is that re-enactors pay for clothing that match the period (ie Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc.) and the periods production methods.

For example, a Confederate Officer's coat, made out of polyester blend wool on a modern loom would turn a re-enactors stomach. They want home-spun wool, hand sown for a "realistic" look.

There are current police and security uniforms made in Khaki color: http://www.elbeco.com/Products.aspx?id=5462

These are California Highway Patrol shirts. To modify for a "proposed" CAP khaki corporate uniform, simply remove the the tab with eyelets (for the badge) and unstitch the epaulets so rank shoulder slides can be attached.

I would bet that it wouldn't cost much more than a USAF blue shirt or a commercial white aviators shirt.

CHP uses matching khaki trousers. If CAP was to use them for a "proposed" corporate uniform, just order them without the piping that CHP uses.

Again, not much more than USAF blue trousers and equal in price to a quality pair of grey uniform trousers. (Yes you can get cheaper junky looking grey trousers but that's a personal choice to be a cheapskate and look shabby. )

The expense would come in finding a service coat/jacket/blouse in matching khaki. Haven't been able to find that but if you have the matching khaki cloth for shirts and trousers and a loom pattern for an existing service coat, it wouldn't be too hard or too expensive to get it made.

As I outlined in another thread, use the USAF blue flight cap and combination cap, blue tie, and blue belt to show CAP's link to Ma Blue.

Pin on rank on the coat epaulets for officers, USAF blue sleeve rank for NCOs, old style CAP blue rank slides for shirts, ditch the U.S. cutouts for C.A.P. cutouts (circle C.A.P. cutouts for NCOs) and blue nametags for everyone. Authorize military awards and badges on it too.

You have a uniform for everyone: fit, thin, fat and/or fuzzy and maybe cadets too.

Then ditch BDUs for BBDUs for everyone.

And guess what, you'd have uniformity across CAP and a professional uniform that is martial but not military that links to CAP's past in the USAAC, USAAF, and USAF and cannot be confused for a current USAF officer or NCO.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Still on a khaki kick I see.  You do realize that it is not cost effective right and this has been pointed out to you on multiple occasions...

jeders

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 10, 2014, 04:07:32 AM
Still on a khaki kick I see.  You do realize that it is not cost effective right and this has been pointed out to you on multiple occasions...

That's the thing about people whose only participation in a program is through an internet forum, they don't really care about the rubber meeting the road or what that costs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Offutteer

Who does Texas A&M use to get their uniforms?  Aren't they the same pink and green?

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on March 08, 2014, 03:02:36 PM
We went to a WWII re-enactment event a couple of years ago (photos here), and it was a ton of fun. My wife & I have thought about taking up that hobby, and I would love to get that uniform.

I prefer comic con. The Star Fleet ABUs are fantastic nerd chick magnets.

Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 10, 2014, 04:07:32 AM

The advantage of the khaki dickies is the CERT I belong to look really sharp in them regardless if you are 18 or 81 years young or if you wear "S" or "XXXL". JMHO, YMMV   8)