Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

davidsinn

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 05, 2012, 09:50:20 PM
http://bit.ly/wwwkAJ

Actually it was a legitimate question since not all wings even post the information he needs.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Maverick925

Quote from: davidsinn on March 05, 2012, 10:09:44 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 05, 2012, 09:50:20 PM
http://bit.ly/wwwkAJ

Actually it was a legitimate question since not all wings even post the information he needs.

My wing happens to not have any wing staff listing posted, aside from the Wing Commander's biography.

a2capt

You didn't look very hard.. :)  I'm looking right at a list of 6 plus a head.

Extremepredjudice

His profile says he is from PA? My bad if you didn't need PAWG IG info.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Maverick925

I live in PA, but am a member of a wing in a neighboring state.  I left PAWG a couple years ago due to personality conflicts with those in power, and not wanting to risk saying something to put my CAP career under the microscope or make my life hell, I transferred to a squadron in a neighboring state.

lordmonar

Well.......remember that at the end of the day it is just CAP.

If you are that fearful of your leadership....maybe it is time to move on.

Because you can't fix things with out making waves.....so either you put up with the BS, ignore the BS and deal with the fall out, or fight the BS and deal with the fall out.

Once people start saying the "don't want to risk their CAP career".....I think maybe you have gotten too involved in CAP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: lordmonar on March 06, 2012, 05:09:14 AM
Once people start saying the "don't want to risk their CAP career".....I think maybe you have gotten too involved in CAP.

Not wanting to see something ended that you have invested a lot of time, money, and effort in is pretty normal, actually.

Maverick925

I call it my CAP career, as I have been involved with the program since 1998, have invested a lot of time, money, and effort into it.  Also, due to health issues (namely back injuries from high school and college, not to mention my weight), I can never join the actual military, so CAP is as close as I can get.  So I take CAP very seriously.  When I was a cadet, I took it even more seriously.  The stereotypical dream cadet you think of, that's what I aspired to....when I wasn't doing homework, odds are I was working on something for CAP.  For the first few years I was a member, the only times I missed meetings were on the Jewish High Holidays.  Hanging out with friends always turned into a CAP activity as at one time, all my friends were in my squadron (we all joined within a few weeks of eachother).  Maybe I do take CAP too seriously, but if I am going to do something, I'm going to do it well and give it my all.

Nearly Dark Side

CAP is a volunteer organization and therefore it is something for members to devote a chosen amount of time too. That being said we are required to obey our superiors, but we also have an obligation to inform them if we think that their judgement is misplaced. If you have asked him if he typed too many 0's then I would question the other members who missed the SDD and decide upon a course of action as a group because a group of people who know each other and the commander in question will come to a more sound decision than 20 people on the internet who even with their vast knowledge are not personally involved in this situation and do not know the disposition of the commander. I think that the idea of sending the email to Wing should be a last effort when all attempts to make the commander see reason have failed because skipping the chain of command is a serious action and should be treated as such. Best of luck to you.

Maverick925

Due to some misunderstandings, I have asked that this thread be removed.  I have been offered some alternatives by my squadron commander:

1) That you had no less than 5 other dates to attend another Sqdn SDD as make up.  (not doable for me due to transportation issues)
2) Or that our Sqdn had another date to make it up  (I will be in Las Vegas on a trip I booked well before SDD was announced)
3) Or that the essay requirement was dropped to 1000 words  (this is still a lot of research)
4) Or that YOU could have made up your own make up  (This would require at least 8 hours of work online, plus putting them into a curriculum)

I have not decided what I will do yet.  I'm thinking that either quitting or transferring are my best options at this point due to what I perceive as irreparable damage to working relationships.

davidsinn

Quote from: Maverick925 on March 11, 2012, 01:00:41 AM
Due to some misunderstandings, I have asked that this thread be removed.  I have been offered some alternatives by my squadron commander:

1) That you had no less than 5 other dates to attend another Sqdn SDD as make up.  (not doable for me due to transportation issues)
2) Or that our Sqdn had another date to make it up  (I will be in Las Vegas on a trip I booked well before SDD was announced)
3) Or that the essay requirement was dropped to 1000 words  (this is still a lot of research)
4) Or that YOU could have made up your own make up  (This would require at least 8 hours of work online, plus putting them into a curriculum)

I have not decided what I will do yet.  I'm thinking that either quitting or transferring are my best options at this point due to what I perceive as irreparable damage to working relationships.

Your commander is clueless. There is no requirement that anybody actually attend the safety day. There is no requirement that it be made up if you missed it. At this point I would contact higher command or the IG because this is completely, off the wall, nuts.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

It's turned into a massive headbutting power trip. Which is.. sadly what I figured it would be. OTOH, 1,000 words? that was probably spent here in the thread. So..

There's been 5 SDD's so far for that unit, this year? Wow. I hope NHQ doesn't catch wind of that and start requiring it because some unit in a small state can do it.

But yes, the requirement is that the unit have the 'event', and that members maintain safety briefing currency by either being logged at the  min. monthly required meeting, or using the online quiz/course system.

The unit command can't withhold entering you.

Guess what? Go online and take a safety course, you're current. When they try to revoke it, one, they can't. So they try to call someone to do it, and when they have to explain the reason, you might actually be able to hear the laughing from the other end of the conversation.

Maverick925

The various SDD's are for the other squadrons within the Wing.  I don't drive, so getting to another location is not possible.  As is, I commute via mass transit to squadron meetings.

Extremepredjudice

There isn't a reason you need to go to another squadron.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Maverick925

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 11, 2012, 02:57:42 AM

Not for this, now.  But I don't see how my CO and I can continue working together.  Too much damage has been done.  It might be time for me to take some significant time off from CAP.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Maverick925 on March 05, 2012, 02:26:00 AMIt was also sent to all the other cadets and seniors who, for whatever reason were not in attendance last week.  The assignment is to answer six very detailed and involved questions, in a minimum of 3500 words.  double spaced.  This works out to 14-16 pages. 

Like most things in CAP if you put six sentenances on a page and half they would likely accept it. What did the other people do?

I would not sweat it. I have seen other Squadron Commanders give out assignments like that and never followed up on them.

Stay safe!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Maverick925 on March 11, 2012, 03:29:30 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 11, 2012, 02:57:42 AM

Not for this, now.  But I don't see how my CO and I can continue working together.  Too much damage has been done.  It might be time for me to take some significant time off from CAP.

Ask the Squadron Commander to have a chat and see what is up? Some Squadron Commanders especially in their first year or last year in Command get a little (sometimes a lot) silly.

bflynn

Quote from: lordmonar on March 06, 2012, 05:09:14 AM
Well.......remember that at the end of the day it is just CAP.

If you are that fearful of your leadership....maybe it is time to move on.

Because you can't fix things with out making waves.....so either you put up with the BS, ignore the BS and deal with the fall out, or fight the BS and deal with the fall out.

With respect, I think that if a volunteer member fears his organization, it isn't the member's fault.  You can't blame the victim when those above him are abusing power, which is the only legitimate fear a volunteer has.