Question about Specialty Track rating

Started by flyguy06, March 30, 2006, 07:32:18 AM

flyguy06

I have a question about professional development I am not trying to bash my squadron or any of its members but I havent been able to find the answers and thought I would ask here.
I have been in CAP for a while now. Over 15 years as both cadet and senior. I have been very active with Cadet Programs and that is my specialty track. However, I was looking at the STR and I am still listed as having a Technician rating. I know I meet the quals to have a Masters rating. But it was never annotated. How do I get this correcetd? I realy dont want to have to go to Senior and then a few years then go to MAster when I know that I qualify for the master rating now.

I heard that the Commander is supposed to do something on the STR in red ink but I am not sure exactly what it is. Can anyone gve me guidence. Thanks.

Before you guys say it.I probably have typos. I type fast and dont have a lot of time to check it. Sorry.

AlphaSigOU

Specialty track ratings can now be annotated and approved online on eServices. Check with your personnel officer; he or she can request the rating and also get it backdated; once that's done, the commander can approve it online.

You've already taken the online tests for CP Senior and Master ratings?

Hope this helps.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

capchiro

Flyguy,

CAPP 216, available on the national website lays it all out.  Unfortunately there are time requirements, along with open book tests and activities that one must do to progress through the track levels.  In the old days, the CO could make changes in red ink on the STR and send it in to National and it would be changed.  I am not sure that is still valid, unless you have completed all of the current requirements.  It sounds like you have put a lot of time and effort into assisting with your squadron and the cadet program, unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it was documented.  You might talk to your CO and see if he can do anything, otherwise, you can call National and speak to them about it.  Good luck.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

flyguy06

I'm screwed then. We dont have a Personnel officer. We only have 5 active senior members. My commander is not computer literate. One of our former members used to do everything n MIMS for him. Thats why I hate MIMS. Everyone in CAP isnt up to speed on computers. We have a lot of older 70 yer old and plus members.
Yeah, it wasnt documented like it should have been. Like I said we have a person thats supposed to be the personnel officer but he never comes to meetings

Pylon

The Regs still provide for the commander changing information on the PDR (Professional Development Report) that he or she receives regularly and sending it back to NHQ.  If you do indeed qualify and did meet all the requirements, and your commander signs off, have the PDR annotated with the appropriate rating in red ink and returned to NHQ.

Wait a week or two and check E-Services to see if it's been updated.  My guess is that it will be. 

Unfortunately, in the constant fire-drill of keeping a well-oiled unit running, many senior members' professional development is left by the wayside.  It's an unfortunate situation, because much of PD is building up time served in a position or capacity.  If that time isn't properly tracked, it can be a pain for a senior member with lots of experience and knowledge to be rated at the appropriate level in their specialty.  PD is something we as an organization need to work on a bit more.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

biZarre

Flyguy,
There is no need to involve computers here if you do want to.  Writing changes (ie "Cadet Programs - Senior") on the PDR (formerly STR) and mailing them to NHQ is still a viable process.   (and I have had success faxing it to Natl to speed up the process)  The PDR is still sent to the squadron every other month, and you can also print one out of CAPWATCH if your so inclined. 

I would try to take the initiative and ask the commander if they would be willing to sign off on the PDR, and then I would take care of getting it to Natl.

Keep in mind the cadet programs Master Rating requires among other items, completion of Level III.  In order to complete Level III, you must have a senior rating in a specialty track.  The CP Senior rating requires that you have (among other items) Level II complete. 

The Senior Training program is laid out to be done in a specific order, and requires things to be done in a certain way. 

Hope this helps.
Doug Kilian, Lt Col, CAP
Director of Cadet Programs
Minnesota Wing

flyguy06

Thanks, that helps a lot. Yea, I got Level II in 2001. I have been too numerous CLC's and SLS's and Wing Conferences sinc then. I have been Dep for Cadets since 1992 and will be Squadron Air Ops when in addition to CP Officer when I return. I believe getting the Senior rating wil be the last thing I need to to do to get Level III. Thanks again

flyguy06

Well, I just finished reading CAPP 216 online and wow........how things have changed. I guess I will have to settle with the Senior rating because I dont have the Chuck Yeager award. I hadnt really planned on getting it, but I guess I have to now.

You guys have to forgive my ignorance. My Squadron is still operating onold manuals and although I have been in CAP for a while a lot of this stuff seems new to me. I will work it out though

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 30, 2006, 03:43:06 PM
Well, I just finished reading CAPP 216 online and wow........how things have changed. I guess I will have to settle with the Senior rating because I dont have the Chuck Yeager award. I hadnt really planned on getting it, but I guess I have to now.

You guys have to forgive my ignorance. My Squadron is still operating onold manuals and although I have been in CAP for a while a lot of this stuff seems new to me. I will work it out though

Make sure you take the TLC (Training Leaders of Cadets) seminar before you get your Senior rating, as well.   ;)

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on March 30, 2006, 05:04:52 PM
Make sure you take the TLC (Training Leaders of Cadets) seminar before you get your Senior rating, as well.   ;)

I did TLC this past weekend... And it is already recorded on e-Services.  ;D  I took the test for my senior rating in CP yesterday also 'cause I had some time to kill.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on March 30, 2006, 05:28:53 PM
I did TLC this past weekend... And it is already recorded on e-Services.  ;D  I took the test for my senior rating in CP yesterday also 'cause I had some time to kill.

My unit keeps talking about it.   I've offered to help, but I think if I ever want to see it come to fruition, I'm going to have to volunteer to run it.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time in my schedule.

MIKE

Quote from: shorning on March 30, 2006, 06:03:49 PM

My unit keeps talking about it.   I've offered to help, but I think if I ever want to see it come to fruition, I'm going to have to volunteer to run it.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time in my schedule.

Yeah, I know what you mean... Since I went to the NER one, I'm basically volunteered by default to help instruct one for MAWG.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: shorning on March 30, 2006, 06:03:49 PM

Well, if you can't just seem to run one there in HIWG on your time schedule, our very own Capt Dan Brodsky will be directing a TLC in May here in New York.  Perhaps you could use a diversion?   ;)

SER Safety

I'm screwed then. We dont have a Personnel officer. We only have 5 active senior members. My commander is not computer literate. One of our former members used to do everything n MIMS for him. Thats why I hate MIMS. Everyone in CAP isnt up to speed on computers. We have a lot of older 70 yer old and plus members.
Yeah, it wasnt documented like it should have been. Like I said we have a person thats supposed to be the personnel officer but he never comes to meetings

you are not you also have your Group Staff and your wing staff they are all there for you, just talk to them
Ernie Manzano, Major
SER
Director of Safety

SER Safety

Quote from: SER Safety on April 05, 2006, 05:39:47 PM

you are not you also have your Group Staff and your wing staff they are all there for you, just talk to them
Ernie Manzano, Major
SER
Director of Safety

pixelwonk

:o delete me.

ande.boyer

... I guess I will have to settle with the Senior rating because I dont have the Chuck Yeager award...

The Yeager test is a piece of cake for a CP pro.  The last time I even picked up the AE book was to study up for the 1998 National Cadet Competition.  I rejoined CAP at the first of the year and just for the hell of it took the Yeager test and scored a 83 on it. 

SarDragon

Quote from: ande.boyer on April 05, 2006, 11:44:20 PM
... I guess I will have to settle with the Senior rating because I dont have the Chuck Yeager award...

The Yeager test is a piece of cake for a CP pro.  The last time I even picked up the AE book was to study up for the 1998 National Cadet Competition.  I rejoined CAP at the first of the year and just for the hell of it took the Yeager test and scored a 83 on it. 

Also, it's an open book test. It does help to take a look at the book to know where things are before taking the test, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nick

Heck, even I passed it (closed book) without touching an aerospace book for at least 5 years... and I'm no smart guy. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: mclarty on April 06, 2006, 04:10:33 AM
Heck, even I passed it (closed book) without touching an aerospace book for at least 5 years... and I'm no smart guy. :)

Got ya beat, Mac... took the Yeager test 'cold' and passed it, considering I've had a break from CAP for 17 years  ;D

Hardest part is getting the Wing DAE to post the info to eServices! Still waiting on the certificate (that and 50 cents will buy me a cup o' coffee...  :D)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040