Main Menu

2012 NERSC

Started by Angus, September 11, 2012, 01:46:10 PM

Angus

Anyone here going to RSC at McGuire this year? 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

capmaj

Try PCR Staff College in April.

Angus

Already signed up for North East.  Plus the time of Pacific Region's I can't get from work.  Someone else has that time booked already.  Why does NERSC get such a bad wrap? 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

jimmydeanno

It's not that NERSC has a bad reputation, it's that PCRSC has a really good one.  The PCRSC is held at Nellis, which, for people taking vacation time to attend is more appealing than northern New Jersey.  NERSC is just fine and they do a good job with it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Angus

For me outside of any RSC excursions there isn't much out in Nevada.  I'm not a big gambler so Reno and Vegas don't appeal to me that much.  Maybe go and catch a show but thats about it. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

You can't find anything to do in the "Happiest Place On Earth"?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

You probably won't have time to go "catch a show" anyway. Unless you go a day or two early/later. The schedule is pretty booked up.

Angus

Oh I would have only done it before or after any way.  Even if there was free time I wouldn't want to drive over an hour to watch a show to only drive another hour to go to bed and be back up for class the next day.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

PHall

For some people, the buffets are reason enough to go to Vegas. ;)

rmutchler

I went to NCR at Offutt this year.  Great instructors.

Larry Mangum

I attended NERSC back in 1999 and it was one of  the best PD activities I have attended for Seniors.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on September 12, 2012, 12:24:22 AM
For some people, the buffets are reason enough to go to Vegas. ;)

Yeah drive or fly 2000 miles for a buffet, money well spent!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Angus

Just got my packet sounds like both more fun and work than I originally thought.  It's sounding even better the more I read the packet.  I was wondering would bringing a printer be benifitial in addition to my laptop?  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RogueLeader

Quote from: Angus on September 25, 2012, 06:45:31 PM
Just got my packet sounds like both more fun and work than I originally thought.  It's sounding even better the more I read the packet.  I was wondering would bringing a printer be beneficial in addition to my laptop?  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Printer: YES!
Having your own access to internet may be of great value as well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Angus

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 25, 2012, 07:12:32 PM
Just got my packet sounds like both more fun and work than I originally thought.  It's sounding even better the more I read the packet.  I was wondering would bringing a printer be beneficial in addition to my laptop?  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

How good is the reception at the McGuire area?  I've got a Verizon 4GLTE Mifi I can use to connect to the internet. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

MSG Mac

Check with the staff to see if the NCO school has WiFi an dif it's available to CAP first.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

Quote from: Angus on September 25, 2012, 08:02:20 PM

How good is the reception at the McGuire area?  I've got a Verizon 4GLTE Mifi I can use to connect to the internet.

Couldn't tell you.  I was at RMRSC this summer at Peterson AFB.  It may be beneficial to have your own network in case your seminar room doesn't have access, or the facility net is not allowed to you.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Angus

I'll have to email my friend who lives down in the Jersey area.  also have to arrange meeting up with her any way while I'm in the area.  Luckily knowing it would be a crazy schedule the plan is to meet up before the school starts.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Huey Driver

As long as you're around the airfield part of JB MDL, the service is pretty decent. Just don't try to get service around the ranges of Dix. Most classrooms and auditoriums have full services too. I'm not sure about where you'll be lodging, but most of the dorms are pretty dead to all services. Many of the dorms have Wifi though, and some with a dedicated room(s)/lounges for Wifi. Most Wifis don't require passwords either.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

NIN

Quote from: Larry Mangum on September 12, 2012, 01:58:17 AM
I attended NERSC back in 1999 and it was one of  the best PD activities I have attended for Seniors.

I went in 2004. I said "Why do you wait until people are Majors to require this? Should be for 1st Lts.."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Angus

Quote from: JerseyCadet on September 27, 2012, 02:56:32 AM

As long as you're around the airfield part of JB MDL, the service is pretty decent. Just don't try to get service around the ranges of Dix. Most classrooms and auditoriums have full services too. I'm not sure about where you'll be lodging, but most of the dorms are pretty dead to all services. Many of the dorms have Wifi though, and some with a dedicated room(s)/lounges for Wifi. Most Wifis don't require passwords either.

Thanks.  We'll be staying at the Inn on base so that should be pretty decent (I hope). 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030