2011 Pacific Region Staff College

Started by capmaj, November 16, 2010, 08:01:33 PM

capmaj

For advance planning purposes........................ The 2011 Pacific Region Staff College will be held from 26 March 2011 through 1 April 2011 at Nellis AFB, Nevada.

jimmydeanno

...and it's great.  So, you should go. Seriously.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AlphaSigOU

No guarantees but I'm hoping to apply for staff at the 2011 PCRSC. Got my tickets bought (all the way from Kwajalein and back); though if I don't get picked up for staff it's just a three-week vacation off the rock!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Lt Buzzbear

I was thinking about going to it, however...
I see no realistic reason for putting out an additional $200.00 minimum to stay in the base lodgings when I live less than 15minutes from Nellis. 
I mean I am aware that CAP means "come and pay", but come on......

SarDragon

Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on December 19, 2010, 07:43:46 AM
I was thinking about going to it, however...
I see no realistic reason for putting out an additional $200.00 minimum to stay in the base lodgings when I live less than 15minutes from Nellis. 
I mean I am aware that CAP means "come and pay", but come on......

I (and my sweetie) attend a local event (not CAP) here in San Diego every year, that's about 20 minutes from our house. We stay in the hotel for a couple of reasons. First, we can stay as late as we want, and not have to worry about driving home, then getting up in the morning to make the drive back into town. Second, it gives us more time to socialize and network with other participants. Last, I don't have to watch my alcohol consumption as much, and there are no DWI worries.

It's worth the extra bucks for the hotel, and boarding the fur people, to be able to have those freedoms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

When I attended, one in my Seminar lived about 5 miles away and near the end of the week he admitted it was worth staying on base anyway.

That thing was kinda like the Breakfast Club for the first couple days, in the end everyone had a blast.

I'm considering applying for staff, too.

Chappie

Staying on base might be a bit more money for locals to want to spend...but part of the experience is that which other posters have mentioned.  The networking after class time is just as vital as the training that takes place during the class hours.  Having served on staff at CCRSC and NSC it is one of those fulfilling things to see how the participants bond together during the week.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Lt Buzzbear

While it may be seen as a "bonding" experience, i really do not think that it is critical to success in CAP to stand or sit around all hours doing God only knows what in the name of "bonding, socialization, and networking".
To me it all seems like yet another way CAP is scheming people out of the hard earned money that those lucky ones that are employed may have. :(

SarDragon

Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on December 23, 2010, 07:54:12 AM
While it may be seen as a "bonding" experience, i really do not think that it is critical to success in CAP to stand or sit around all hours doing God only knows what in the name of "bonding, socialization, and networking".
To me it all seems like yet another way CAP is scheming people out of the hard earned money that those lucky ones that are employed may have. :(

Ouch.

Critical? Probably not. Beneficial? Certainly. You get to exchange ideas with peers from other units and wings, and learn useful information and skills from the movers and shakers that help make CAP successful.

Scheming people out of money? How so? Who's profiting from the activity fees? Certainly not any CAP members. The money covers overhead costs - repro, building fees (if any), coffee, donuts, etc., and whatever other costs are incurred. Billeting fees are paid to the AF. How is that scheming money from the attendees?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Well then, all I can say to that is, it sounds like you really have other issues with the entire program and maybe RSC isn't what you need anyway.

No one is holding a gun pointed at you saying "PAY THIS OR ELSE". You voluntarily send money to NHQ every year. But having been to RSC I will say that it was the longest CAP related activity I ever attended, the runner up being four days a few times, and your typical weekend SAREX plus planning.

It was also the best week I spent with people I had never met before and I'll say that the classroom time, to me, was actually preparing for the evening sessions which were a lot of fun.

So much so, that I want to go back and staff it, as opposed to organizing an SLS or CLC.

Scheming? I don't agree at all. Especially since CAP itself gets diddly from it, in fact the biggest part of it for me was billeting, followed by getting to NV from San Diego. The RSC fees itself? Pthth. Compared to what was gained from it, well, well worth it.

You get out of CAP what you put into it. Sounds like you've put in about as much as you want to get out of it.

Lt Buzzbear

Quote from: a2capt on December 23, 2010, 08:45:13 AM
Well then, all I can say to that is, it sounds like you really have other issues with the entire program and maybe RSC isn't what you need anyway.

No one is holding a gun pointed at you saying "PAY THIS OR ELSE". You voluntarily send money to NHQ every year. But having been to RSC I will say that it was the longest CAP related activity I ever attended, the runner up being four days a few times, and your typical weekend SAREX plus planning.

It was also the best week I spent with people I had never met before and I'll say that the classroom time, to me, was actually preparing for the evening sessions which were a lot of fun.

So much so, that I want to go back and staff it, as opposed to organizing an SLS or CLC.

Scheming? I don't agree at all. Especially since CAP itself gets diddly from it, in fact the biggest part of it for me was billeting, followed by getting to NV from San Diego. The RSC fees itself? Pthth. Compared to what was gained from it, well, well worth it.

You get out of CAP what you put into it. Sounds like you've put in about as much as you want to get out of it.
Well then i guess there you do have it...I have put enough time and money into CAP, cost me 2 semesters of school, and a fair amount of personal strife...in reality, looking back now, i would have never joined this ridiculous good old boys and their toy airplanes club under the mistaken belief that it was to help the kids in the program....

Eclipse

^ So then you are still a member because...

"That Others May Zoom"

Lt Buzzbear

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2010, 09:15:04 AM
because i have already paid my membership and not attending events is basically the same as paying for a hotel in the city you live in....just another monstrous waste of money!!!!

Smokey

Well then LtBuzzbear....buh bye

With your attitude I sure don't want you around any cadets to poison their attitudes or any of my fellow senior members either.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on December 23, 2010, 11:03:21 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2010, 09:15:04 AM
because i have already paid my membership and not attending events is basically the same as paying for a hotel in the city you live in....just another monstrous waste of money!!!!

I won't even address the spectacularly inaccurate statement in bold above, but...

So you paid, and are still a member.  Fine.  You clearly have no particular enthusiasm for CAP, so why are here?

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Camas

Back to topic. RSC at Nellis is worth every penny. Met some great folks; many of whom post here frequently such as Lordmanor and Jimmydeanno. One word - go.

a2capt

Four folks that I met from the other side of the country echoed the sentiment that the rumors were "this was the one to go to", and enjoyed every second of it.

Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on December 23, 2010, 08:21:52 AM
Quote from: Lt Buzzbear on December 23, 2010, 07:54:12 AM

Ouch.

Critical? Probably not. Beneficial? Certainly. You get to exchange ideas with peers from other units and wings, and learn useful information and skills from the movers and shakers that help make CAP successful.

Scheming people out of money? How so? Who's profiting from the activity fees? Certainly not any CAP members. The money covers overhead costs - repro, building fees (if any), coffee, donuts, etc., and whatever other costs are incurred. Billeting fees are paid to the AF. How is that scheming money from the attendees?

Good response.  Scheming people out of money???  For the upcoming CCRSC, the operating budget for 30+ students is $3535.00.  NHQ provides $1750.  The $75 registration fee covers all materials/supplies (printed curriculum, ceritificates, etc), 2 meals (the Monday evening orientation and the Thursday recognition banquet), gas for vehicles (transportation round-trip for those flying into nearest major airport 45 miles away and during event), billeting for key instructors and flight, awards, refreshments, and the list can go on.  It is not a for-profit venture...we try to break even and provide the students a great experience.  The on-base billeting is reasonable as well as having dining privileges at the dining hall.

My bent is that I have never wasted money attending a CAP event...it has always been an investment for me personally and professionally as well as in the lives of those with whom I attended the event with.  I have yet to attend one event during my 15 years as a member and regretted spending the time or money.  It has been mutually beneficial.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)