How many "Saves" did your wing make last year?

Started by simon, March 26, 2011, 10:39:32 PM

simon

Perhaps someone can point me to where all this statistic performance information is published, if it is actually published.

It would be nice to look up the hours logged on various aircraft over the year, what this was broken up into (CD, SAR missions, training missions, self funded, transport, other etc.) and the number of non distress finds, actual finds. I am particularly interested to see how many finds in the various wings.

People outside CAP have asked me on occasion about how much activity our wing has and I do not really have an answer.

Flying Pig

Its listed in WIMRS.  But I dont know how you would get the grand total of hours per category.  Im not to well versed in the system.

CA currently has 33 finds and 1 saves Credited by AFRCC

simon

Quote33 finds and 1 saves

Is that for 2010?

What defines a "Find"?

RiverAux

You found the object of the search but no lives were saved because of it.  Generally it means that you found a non-distress ELT or a crashed aircraft in which no one survived. 

ol'fido

Wasn't all that info in the Annual Report to Congress?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

simon

QuoteGenerally it means that you found a non-distress ELT or a crashed aircraft in which no one survived.

Out of the 33 in CAWG, it would be interesting to know how many are in each of the two categories.

SarDragon

Quote from: simon on March 27, 2011, 06:07:14 AM
QuoteGenerally it means that you found a non-distress ELT or a crashed aircraft in which no one survived.

Out of the 33 in CAWG, it would be interesting to know how many are in each of the two categories.

Many more of the former than the latter. I don't know the exact date range for those figures, so I can't accurately say how many of either.

In CY 2010, CAWG had 60 non-distress finds, according to the PAs. I don't have distress find or save numbers available.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

simon

I went to the National website and under the reports page there are some stats in the Legislative Days newsletters for each wing on the annual performance.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/cap_reports/

In 2010, the CAWG newsletter reports 136 SAR missions, including 91 finds and 3 saves (Does this mean the other 42 were missions that did not result in finding the target?), 24 CD and 15 for the state.

I see now that the definition of "find" has been debated in other threads.

451 aircrew also, I noted.

lordmonar

Also note...that saves may be creditied to soties that do not involve a "find".  Blood/tissue flights can be catagoriesed as saves.....but I don't think we do a lot of these anymore.

Anyone flown a tissue transfer flight lately?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

wuzafuzz

I believe this was shared in other threads, but in answer to the OP:
Last year COWG had 4 saves (not finds) in about a month.  I don't know how the rest of the year shaped up; there were other finds during the year but 4 saves in that short a time made for a banner month. 

Check out the top two videos on the COWG web site:
http://coloradowingcap.org/ColoradoWingCAP/MediaAndPublicInformation/tabid/58/Default.aspx
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

Quote from: simon on March 27, 2011, 04:54:30 PM
I went to the National website and under the reports page there are some stats in the Legislative Days newsletters for each wing on the annual performance.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/cap_reports/

In 2010, the CAWG newsletter reports 136 SAR missions, including 91 finds and 3 saves (Does this mean the other 42 were missions that did not result in finding the target?), 24 CD and 15 for the state.

I see now that the definition of "find" has been debated in other threads.

451 aircrew also, I noted.

Yes. There have been instances where some other agency got there first, and we didn't get a find. There are also instances where the signal ceased before it was located.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

..and there are instances of awards being granted on wrecks that were a week old and the pilot walked away and called the FAA, the NTSB and law enforcement days ago. So like all data, take it with a grain of salt.

RiverAux

Quote from: a2capt on March 27, 2011, 09:56:44 PM
..and there are instances of awards being granted on wrecks that were a week old and the pilot walked away and called the FAA, the NTSB and law enforcement days ago. So like all data, take it with a grain of salt.
It wouldn't be the crews fault that someone forget to call off the CAP search.  They still found the target.