Rediscovering Maj. Gen. John F. Curry

Started by Smithsonia, July 21, 2008, 02:19:20 PM

Smithsonia

I've been saving this portion of the JF Curry story as I didn't want Captalkers to think this endeavor is a personal or squadron level thing. BUT, John Curry was a sponsor of the Black Sheep CO-162... but in a rather roundabout way.

In either 1964 or '68 the old Denver Senior wanted to get onto Lowry AFB in east Denver. They needed a sponsor. The sponsorship papers were signed by John F Curry. According to sources, John Curry called the base commander and Denver Seniors were treated ever-so-well by the Air Force. John Curry was never a squadron member but is the man that gave it, its first vital breath.

About 1986 The Black Sheep Squadron split from the Denver Senior Squadron. The Old Denver Senior Squadron folded in 1999. The only remaining vestige of the Denver Senior Sq. is The Black Sheep at Centennial Airport. As such JF Curry is the Daddy we never knew. JF Curry is an important figure in my squadron, which I dearly love and enjoy. Without the then retired, yet still prestigous and honored, Air Force leader, my squadron might never have been.

The debt we all owe Jack Curry has been the focus of this thread. I'd now like to add my personal thank you to this man. Every meeting I attend, every mission I mount, every time I put on the uniform, every time I sit among the honorable men and women of my squadron, I thank Jack Curry. I wish I'd known him. According to his daughter we would have made friends. So for all Captalkers this is a dad I never knew, the friend I never made, but the man to whom we all remain deeply in debt.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

A couple of John Curry items came up this week.
1. Buzz Aldrin's father Edward was a good friend of the General. When Buzz was in Denver, he'd stop by to see the General. Astronaut Aldrin kept up the relationship with letters and visits until the General's passing in 1973.

2. I'm organizing a CO-WG Group One event at the Curry Gravesite. In this ceremony we'll give Curry Awards for up to 20 cadets at the General's grave. We'll do this on Dec. 6th 2008. CAP DAY! I'll give a brief biography lecture about the General and take cadets to the gravesite. I'm hoping to make this a yearly event.

3. I'm going to California on Oct. 11th and take the General's daughter and only remaining first generation relative, Sheila Curry DeKalb to lunch. She is a remarkable woman and I am looking forward to meeting her in person and hear more tales from her father's career. She has mementos to share and stories to tell... so my next report on the General should be stimulating and illuminating. I'll also be going to Washington DC in November and hope to finally get my hands on the General's remaining military records. That should keep me busy for a few months.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I met Sheila "Curry" DeKalb yesterday for lunch in Southern California. She is a wonderful woman; a dear daughter of the General and with fond memories of her dad.

Maj. Gen. John Curry was in Denver, CO. when he took over command of the CAP. 1108 15th St. Denver, CO. was the first Command HQ of the CAP. (if unofficially This address was actually the Command Staff HQ for Second Air Force while they waited for facilities to be built at Lowry and Peterson) His command staff was busy building up Petersen and Lowry Field, Spokane, Sacramento, Fresno, Las Vegas, March Field, etc. These tasks were the main focus of this staff. It appears CAP was taken care of in the margins and on the quick. At this time John Curry was a 2 star (he was a one star for exactly 29 days) He was moving around so much that his uniforms and militaria couldn't keep up with him so he had to sit in a business suit for a Spokane newspaper interview about future plans for the air base. I've got more coming as soon as I get home, unpack, and do a little more research.

While working in Denver the General lived at Ft. Logan Army Post. Ft. Logan is now the site of his grave. (on the grounds of the National Cemetery) I've got some private communications between different Generals indicating their level of personal regard, degrees of personal trust, and levels of respect for one another. I've got picture of Gen. George Marshall hanging with the Curry's. I've got numerous chatty official letters between Generals Marty Scanlon, Ira Eakers, Jack Curry...  Many references to Ira Eackers. It is just a trickle of what I hope will be downpour of John Curry revelations. His Army Air Corps records are now at the Air Force Academy -- so I've got a ton more coming.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I'd modify my post above but I can't get a modify button. SO, the 1941 Second Air Force temporary Headquarters I talked about above is 1180 15th Ave. Denver. It's now a parking lot. (at least according to the Mapquest check I just did.)
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

"On Voting" John Curry didn't vote, at least as a military officer. Neither did any of his major-general comrades in Arms and big-wigs of WW2. Believing that they were to serve and not take a side politically: Eisenhower, Patton, Hap Arnold, Admiral King, Nimitz, and John Curry himself did NOT exercise this right and sacrificed their own "franchise" for clarity of duty. I understand this is common and well-known practice inside the military. However, it was news to me. Some may believe this was because of the inconvenience of moving every 2 years from assignment to assignment and complications of re-registration. Gen. Curry's daughter assures me this was by design and the subject came up during numerous elections cycles in the Curry home.

More Curry research and information soon.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Fiorello La Guardia (before he was New York City's Mayor) was a WW1 Pilot. He flew bombers, in Italy (in WW1 we were on the same side as Italy) He flew against many Imperial German dirigibles and on many other missions. He was supposedly very good in this duty. He received several decorations. He was trained in this duty by John F. Curry.

John Curry was flying in France during WW1, against Germans balloons mostly. John Curry was very good too. Eventually, Curry was shot down, although he must have landed the plane and probably didn't bail-out (no parachutes back then in planes, only in balloons oddly enough, or crashed either, because he walked away (I'm still looking for details on this one). Curry evaded the enemy and returned to his own lines.

Back to Mayor Fiorello La Guardia -- He was also the head of the Civil Defense Administration as of March 1941 (before the war) and during the first part of WW2. The Civil Defense Administration was the agency to which the original CAP was assigned. La Guardia hired his former instructor Maj. Gen. John F. Curry to head the Civil Air Patrol. I'd say both men did pretty well for themselves and the Civil Air Patrol.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Two more Curry items from the last few weeks of research:
A. Some time between '32-'35 when Jack Curry brought the Tactical Training Command from Langley to Maxwell, Claire Chennault of Flying Tiger's fame took over training command. He worked for Jack Curry for at least 2 years during this period.

Before WW2 broke out and the Army was looking for pilots Jack Curry personally recruited many of the Tigers from the Air Corps. BUT, he mostly helped set up the logistics and mechanics to keep this forward base operating. Gen. Curry did this while stationed in Denver as Commander 2nd Air Force. The references I have on this subject are sparse so I can't conclude anything about the level of friendship between Curry and Chennault or the level of commitment to this project, only that these events occurred. However I do get the feeling that Curry and Chennault had a some what prickly relationship. SEE REFERENCE HERE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Lee_Chennault

B. The Ploesti Oil Field raids of June '42-Sept. '42 went very bad. Jack Curry was sent to North Africa, just after he left CAP command to sort things out and write up the after action reports and develop plans so that things would never again go so wrong. He was successful in laying out the details in several reports that were given high marks by Gen. Hap Arnold. "Clear. clean as sunshine, and concise, Jack has it right, I think." was Arnold reply to these reports. Although it took almost another year to make things right, Ploesti became the most bombed strategic target of WW2 and was not a factor after D-Day. SEE REFERENCE HERE:
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/ploesti.htm
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

On Dec. 6th Group One of the Colorado Wing will award Curry's to Cadets and perform the first in what I hope will be an ongoing and semi-annual event at the gravesite of Gen. John Curry. Until we sort out the ceremonial issues, I am conducting this event as a small Group One exercise. I've included the invitation below for future reference and as an ongoing addition to the Curry file.

CURRY CADET PRESENTATION AND MAJ. GEN. CURRY GRAVESIDE TRIBUTE: It has been recently discovered that CAPs First National Commander, Maj. Gen. John F. Curry is buried at Ft. Logan. His remarkable biography has been significantly upgraded and substantiated by Colorado Wing Historians. As such, we will present a brief biography that places Gen. Curry at the center of the rise of American Air Power between WW1 and WW2, formation of the Air Force, Development of Air Force Facilities in Colorado, and location of the Air Force Academy in Colorado. This information is currently unknown to CAP/NHQ. Including the fact that then Col. Curry built the infirmary at Maxwell (in the 1930s) that would become CAP's headquarters (in the 1960s) This coincidence and many others will be part of the biographical review and revelation. We will introduce guests and award "Curry's", then walk to the gravesite and salute the General and his wife (Eleanor).

DESCRIPTION OF EVENT: At 09:30 hrs. on Dec. 6th 2008, CO/WG Group One will conduct a ceremony at the grave side of Maj. Gen. John Curry and his wife Eleanor. Any Group One Curry Awardee and parents are invited. This will be a one hour ceremony consisting of presentation of honored guests, some comments from Col. Phelka (and other special invitees), Gen. Curry's biography, and a gravesite salute by cadets. We will dismiss no later than 11:00 hrs.

LOCATION: Ft. Logan National Cemetery. Directions here: http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/ftlogan.asp

Follow Interstate 25 to exit, Hampden Avenue (Highway 285). Turn (west) heading toward the mountains to Sheridan Boulevard. Turn left (south) on Sheridan Boulevard. Cemetery is located two blocks south of Hampden Avenue on the left (east) side of Sheridan Boulevard. At the main West Entrance we will have officer or cadet with instructions to Pavilion A. Parking is limited. Please be on time. We don't want to leave people in the weather any longer than is necessary.

UNIFORM: Class A Dress or appropriate corporate uniform. Plan on being in the weather for up to 90 minutes. Plan on cold and possible snowy conditions. Boots, over-shoes, overcoats, mufflers, gloves - acceptable. Squadron Officers will conduct a uniform inspection of their own cadets before the ceremony. This inspection should be informal and one-on-one. This inspection is to ensure CAP compliance regarding picture posts. Please inform project officer of 39-1 non-compliant members before ceremony.

INVITEES: Col. Edward Phelka is inviting numerous dignitaries (Including former National Commander Gen. Bobick). All Group One Curry Cadets (those cadets about to be awarded their Curry Ribbon), their parents, and Group One Squadron Staff and Officers. Due to facilities: We are limited to 20-25 cadets and 30-35 guests. AS SUCH, PLEASE RSVP WITH THE NUMBERS OF EXPECTED GUESTS. RSVP: Lt. Ed O'Brien, email: ed@e-obrien.com

FUTURE PLANS: Group One is considering conducting this tribute twice a year. As such, a debrief of this event with the project officer, squadron commanders, and special invited guests can make recommendations as to this ceremony and perpetuation. PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT.

Signed:

CO. Wing Commander Col. Ed Phelka
Group One Commander Lt. Col. William Aceves
CO/WG Heritage Project Officer Lt. Ed O'Brien

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I have a wonderful picture of Maj. Gen. John Curry that I'll post one day. (Right now I have no scanner) Anyway, Curry is inspecting Air Corp troops in WW2 at Fresno Field. They are spit and shine. Their Captain looks grievously worried. Curry is striding confidently among them. Every man braced. Every eye turned upon Curry.

Curry is wearing slip-on shoes with buckles (kind of a pilgrim look, more comfortable and not by the book) his shirt and belt buckle are misaligned, his shoes are a bit dirty, his hat is a little off center and slightly cockeyed, and he has one shirt sleeve pinned as the button is missing. Remember Curry is a graduate of West Point, Curry is a former Honor Guard Leader, and knows how the uniform is to be worn.

Unless he had reason to keep you locked down with worry, Curry didn't like uniform gigs. He left that to worried Captains. He would instead take a rifle from man in the the formation and perform the manual of arms so well that no man thought him a light weight. He'd then smartly throw the rifle back to the man and say "I love that Springfield! Quite pleasing to handle, great weapon don't you agree Corporal?"

I think today we would say he exampled and displayed, "soft power."

I can not tell you if he demonstrated the manual of arms often but I can tell he often wore comfortable shoes as I have 5 pictures over a 20 year period from Captain to Maj. General in which he was shod in non-standard footwear.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

We did the first Maj. Gen. John Curry Salute and Award Ceremony at his grave on Dec. 6th at 09:30 hrs. It was attended by 8 cadets, one General (former CAP Nat/CC James Bobick) One Current WING Commander (Col Ed Phelka) and 6 Former Wing and or Region Commanders. The day was special. A December day bright and sunny and 60 degrees is rare and wonderful. I did a 20 minute Bio-Briefing of the General and then we walked to the grave. Each cadet was introduced to the General and Mrs. Curry. Each cadet saluted first the flag and then the grave. Then a row of senior CAP Officers and Cadets facing each other from opposite sides of the grave listened as Col. Phelka said to the head stone. "For your service to your Country, the Civil Air Patrol and our history, we salute you General Curry" Then Col. Phelka did an about-face looking directly at the cadets now... "and for Curry Cadets, we salute you, our future." Col. Phelka did great. The ceremony was just about right.
It wasn't perfect as this was our first run through... we'll get better, but I think we did well.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I finally got a look a John Curry Full Service Record:
Here's Maj Gen. Curry's Military Record Summary.
Curry, John Francis
Birth: New York, N.Y. 22 Apr. 1886
Education and Training: Student, Coll of City of New York 1901-04, B.S. USMA, 1908 AS Eng Sch. Aero Engineering Course 1924, AC Tactical Sch. 1928, G.S. (General Staff College) 1936.

General Staff: 1 July '36 – 22 Mar. 1938

Appointments and Promotions: Cadet USMA 16 June 1904, 2Lt. Inf, 14 Feb 1908; 1Lt. 6 June 1914; Capt. AVN. Sec. Sig. O, 16 May 1916 -30 June 1920; Maj (temp) 24 Jan. 1918-9 May 1919; Col. AS USA 10 May 1919-6 Apr. 1920; Maj. 1 July 1920; TRFD. To AS 11 Aug. 1920; Lt. Col. 1 Feb 1932; Col. (temp) 4 Mar. to June 30 1935; Col. (temp) 23 Dec. 1936; Brig. Gen. AUS 1 Oct. 1940; Maj. Gen. AUS, 27 Oct. 1940 retired disability line of duty 31 Oct. 1945.

Principle Assignments: C/S AS Second Army 1918; Chief AS Engr. Div. Dayton Ohio 1924-27; Comdt. AC Tactical School 1931-35; Mbr. WDGS 1 July 1936 to 22 Mar. 1938; CG Northwest Air Distr. (became 2nd Air Force) 1940-1 Aug. 1941; CG Rocky Mountain Tech. Trng. 1941; Head Civil Air Patrol Washington DC. Dec 1941 Trng Command Apr. 1942; CG 4th Dist. Tech Trng Command and Western Tech. Apr. 1942-
July 1944; President Evaluation Board Hq AAF MTO July 1944-Mar. 1945.

Awards and Decorations: DSM 1944; LM 1945; Mexican Border Serv. Mdl. WW1 Victory Mdl. Amer. Serv. Mdl, Amer Thea. Mdl. WW II Victory Mdl. Officer del'Etoile Noir (France) 1919.

Ratings: Comd Plt. C. Obsr, A Obsr.
Source: USAFHD Archives file number 432.01, Dec. 1940-Dec. 1941.
Declassified IAW EO12958

As you can see he had many changes in command and authority. Being that the Air Service (later Air Corps) had 250 people in the entire command when he began as a flight cadet in 1915 and finished with 2.25 million people at the end of WW2 this variety in assignments, ranks, and commands is expected.

I have a lot of material to go through -- so... more soon.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

I found a picture of Maxwell Field circa 1937. This would include the buildings, both upgraded and built during the Curry Administration 1931-35. SEE HERE:
http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/aerials/Counties/Montgomery/Montgomery_Maxwell_Air_Force_Base_1937.html

This field is about 8 times the size it was in 1931 when John Curry moved the Tactical
Training Command to Maxwell from Langley. The map is in a flexible format and you can zero in plus move it around. You'll find Maxwell to the Northeast of town. Anyone who knows Maxwell today. Locate the building that was the Infirmary - that then became the hospital -- that is now the CAP headquarters. You'll help me solve a riddle that I have posed before in this thread. I know that some, part, or all of the building was built during the Curry Administration... we're trying to figure out how much of what Curry built is CAP-HQ today. HELP would be appreciated. Enjoy this little historical tour.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

If you go here there is a lengthy history of the Air Tactical School at Maxwell:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/1450198/US-Air-Force-HistoryOfTheAirCorpsTacticalSchool

It shows how and why the transition from Langley to Maxwell occurred. It also has the build out of Maxwell in the '30s under the command of John Curry. Apparently Curry was also instrumental in developing
bombing tactics to interdict logistics and conduct penetration (which then became strategic bombing) techniques used during WW2. Curry wanted better Pursuit planes and faster long range bombers. (P-40, P-38, P-47, P-51 would help resolve this argument) Pay attention to pgs. 75-78. You'll see the basis of my conclusion that Chennault and Curry were often on different sides of several issues. Chennault wanted better doctrine defining upgraded aircraft capability in a steady progression. It seems Curry wanted aircraft capability to become reactive so to insure doctrine. This is not a small difference of opinion. During the War we'd take both the Chennault progression and the Curry reactive approaches to Air Power Superiority. Curry would initially carry the day, the early War would be Chennault's day, and post '43 Curry's reactive strategy would see it's day again. Frankly this is one of the great debates of WW2 Air Power.

It is a great piece of historical review. List of very well-known WW2 characters like Eakers, Spaatz, Chennault, etc. and when they worked with (and for) Curry. For Historians and CAP history buffs: This is a must read.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

jimmydeanno

Hi Ed,

I just sent this to your e-mail, but this is what I've got.

Picture 1: Modern Maxwell AFB with NHQ circled.  Notice the small plane on display out front.

Picture 2: 1932 Maxwell with circled location of what I believe to be the same spot based on common streets in the picture.

Hope that helps.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Smithsonia

Jimmydeanno;
It looks like the same building. Therefore I would assume that since I have the plat from circa '29 not showing this building. Then we see the building just as it is now in '37. That indeed, the CAP Headquarters was in fact built during the Curry Command '32-36.

He is also the person who recommended that Maxwell be used as the Air Tactical School HQ. It was originally suggested that it be at Bolling Washington DC Area, Staten Island, NY. and 2 other locations. John Curry assembled meteorological data from all locations and then wrote up the finished proposal for Maxwell. He then, as Assistant Commander of Langley, moved the command in late '31. Becoming the commander of the base in '32.

I talked to his daughter last night. She was unaware of Claire Chennault coming to Maxwell in '32. She said her mother and father had many people over for dinner and enjoyed the company of both officers and enlisted... he even took a personal interest in the families and I have letters of congratulation for the birth of a child to Lt. Morrow for instance. Anyway, Curry at Maxwell is a very interesting tale. This is where American Airpower was framed and proceeded into the War years. This is where the debates and arguments that would shape American Air Power for the next 13-14 years would rage and wrangle. This is the moment and the people who shaped the future of the Air Corps into The United States Air Force. Thanks to everybody for your interest.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Smithsonia on December 29, 2008, 06:47:21 PM
Jimmydeanno;
It looks like the same building. Therefore I would assume that since I have the plat from circa '29 not showing this building. Then we see the building just as it is now in '37. That indeed, the CAP Headquarters was in fact built during the Curry Command '32-36.

He is also the person who recommended that Maxwell be used as the Tactical School HQ. It was originally suggested that it be at Bolling Washington DC Area, Staten Island, NY. and 2 other locations. John Curry assembled meteorological data from all locations and then wrote up the finished proposal for Maxwell. He then, as Assistant Commander of Langley, moved the command in late '31. Becoming the commander of the base in '32.

I talked to his daughter last night. She was unaware of Claire Chennault coming to Maxwell in '32. She said her mother and father had many people over for dinner and enjoyed the company of both officers and enlisted... he even took a personal interest in the families and I have letters of congratulation for the birth of a child to Lt. Morrow for instance. Anyway, Curry at Maxwell is a very interesting tale. This is where American Airpower was framed and proceeded into the War years.

Ed,

Do you happen to have any indication of when the two wings were added to the building?  I would assume it was some time around when it was upgraded to be a hospital, but I could be grossly mistaken.  NHQ is also under renovation right now - however, my understanding is that it is an internal renovation so there shouldn't be any footprint changes.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Smithsonia

Regarding the build out of the infirmary that would become the hospital that then became the CAP NHQ -- I have a plat map showing a larger facility in '44-'45. My understanding is that the footprint we have today dates back to WW2. What the exact dates are I do not know. Anyway, Jack Curry built what is now CAP Headquarters seems both a remarkable coincidence and now confirmed.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

Jimmydeanno;
The '29 Plat map doesn't show anything at what is now CAP HQ. There were 3 or 4 hangars to the north and down the eastside in a L shape (those with the checkerboard roofs from the '37 photo)... the northern most row of buildings and the buildings directly to the south (across the street) were all there was besides some small out building. The post '29 base headquarters is now in the D shaped circle to the South a few blocks from the L there is part of the building shown below. However this building wasn't there in '29... but it is there in '37, according to the picture above.

According to Sheila Curry DeKalb (the General's daughter) they lived in what was then the Bachelor Officers Quarters on the top floor in several rooms. Her bathroom included a long row of open male type urinals... which she remembers vividly. Also there was no door on the bathroom and "business" was conducted with her mother and father coming and going. Of course, there was a locked door on Ward sized room which she thinks was 30-50 ft long and was one open room with an office, then the door to the private quarters then the bathroom to the right and towards the back (or north of the eastern most building in the row across from the northern hangars) There was no kitchen but just a hotplate and her mother had laundry done by the base staff. They ate in the Air Corps Officer's dining room or had take out from the kitchen delivered. Good stuff!

They didn't have an officers club in the beginning ('31-'32) and construction dirt was everywhere. On the top floor it was very hot in summer. This arrangement lasted a year or two until the commanders house was built. She doesn't remember anything specific about the infirmary/hospital... but does remember a base dispensary at the operations office in one of the hangars (or next to the hangars). She would go over and talk to a nurse, who befriended the then little girl and occasional wrapped an imaginary wound on her dolly. So I'm putting much of this together but I think we've got it.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

jimmydeanno

Ed,

I find this fascinating and give you a gold star for the day :)

I just picked up a random bit of trivia.  The commander's house on Maxwell, which is still there and used by the Air University Commander is called, "The Curry House."

Smithsonia

This is just too many coincidences -- probably it should make a nice Twilight Zone episode. If you remember the one where the WW1 flyer lands on modern (well modern for the 60s) SAC base... we'll do the next extension. I love it! Thanks; Jimmydeanno, a gold star for you too!
With regards;
ED OBRIEN