AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Quote from: OldGuy on November 06, 2018, 01:56:16 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on November 05, 2018, 04:34:03 PM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on November 05, 2018, 03:54:34 PM
And that's something to be proud of? 4 members for 365 days of work.

And people wonder why membership continues to dwindle.

Well, to be fair, those 4 members DID replace 15 who left....
Nope. We are growing. But thanks for joining in the negativity.

Let's bookmark this and see where your "growth" is in a year.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Paul Creed III

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 05, 2018, 02:02:17 PM
We had a $20 (around that) credit given to us by Facebook for recruiting. Lots of hits from that.

Our Group CC was also kind enough earlier this year to put forth his own recruiting campaign by boosting our posts.

You have to hit the community on social media. It's a must.

What a nice guy, that group commander. ;-)

Seriously, though, my promoting my units via a campaign that lists their FB pages and their locations, has helped to drive traffic to their pages.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

kcebnaes

Shoot! Wanna promote my Group as well?? I don't think that's in our budget! Haha!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Paul Creed III

Quote from: kcebnaes on November 06, 2018, 05:39:40 PM
Shoot! Wanna promote my Group as well?? I don't think that's in our budget! Haha!

I am running an ad that costs about $1 per day to run; not a huge audience but any is better than none. Perhaps some internal fundraising to run the ad?

hfriday

Regardless of the growth or contraction of any given unit, I'd be happy to hear more about it. How do you set that up, both technologically speaking, and without stepping on any delicate Wing PAO toes?

My senior squadron is really hurting for members, and I'd love to get four more people in the door. At the moment, it could be the difference between our continued existence and our absorption or disbandment. Anything someone has had success with, I would be receptive to considering.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: hfriday on November 06, 2018, 07:05:52 PM
Regardless of the growth or contraction of any given unit, I'd be happy to hear more about it. How do you set that up, both technologically speaking, and without stepping on any delicate Wing PAO toes?

My senior squadron is really hurting for members, and I'd love to get four more people in the door. At the moment, it could be the difference between our continued existence and our absorption or disbandment. Anything someone has had success with, I would be receptive to considering.

Create a Facebook post and boost it with whatever budget you have available. Loop your Wing PAO in (which they would have access to the page anyway so it won't be a surprise to them) and it should be easy to pull off.

OldGuy

Quote from: THRAWN on November 06, 2018, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on November 06, 2018, 01:56:16 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on November 05, 2018, 04:34:03 PM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on November 05, 2018, 03:54:34 PM
And that's something to be proud of? 4 members for 365 days of work.

And people wonder why membership continues to dwindle.

Well, to be fair, those 4 members DID replace 15 who left....
Nope. We are growing. But thanks for joining in the negativity.

Let's bookmark this and see where your "growth" is in a year.
Indeed. Let's.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2018, 12:07:48 AM
I continue to assert that placing fake job ads to try and recruit people isn't pointing the
message at the right place.  People looking for jobs aren't generally looking for volunteer
opportunities, and vice versa, not to mention the "seriously?" factor when they
click all the way through.

They are specifically identified as volunteer opportunities.  And you can specifically search for volunteer opportunities if you so choose. 
I will say that when I first started using it was fairly common for people to think they were paying jobs, but in the last quarter or so that has diminished rapidly as people have learned more about the platform and how it works. 

QuoteAnd that's something to be proud of? 4 members for 365 days of work.
Try 4 members for probably 30-60 minutes worth of work.  Thats about how long it would take to create the ad and then renew it over the course of a year, converse with potential applicants and pass info on to the recruiting folks. 
----

In my Auxiliary flotilla we have had 21 people express interest via Facebook (after excluding accidental job seekers) and 2 people have joined.  Obviously, this is not a flood of people, but for the amount of time spent on it (about an hour) is by far the most efficient recruiting program we have.  I'd say that the percentage that end up joining is significantly less than for potential recruits that have come to us after expressing an interest through the national web site, but that is what you would expect since those folks already learned more about the Aux at that site before asking for more info.

So, this obviously shouldn't replace other recruiting means, but is something that you don't want to miss out on either.  Most CAP squadrons don't need more than a handful of new members in any given year to maintain their strength and this is a good way to do that.  Other more active measures are going to need to be taken if a major recruiting drive is needed. 

TheSkyHornet

I got picked up on LinkedIn.

I switched jobs---working 2am to Noon Thursday through Sunday---to working 9-5 M-F. I finally had time.

Ended up browsing LinkedIn to see what was out there. It popped up: "Looking for volunteers." Okay, I'll check it out. I messaged the unit on Facebook. I had a reply back in an hour. I was down there a few days later visiting.

Public exposure is exposure. It's PR and recruiting.

OldGuy

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 08, 2018, 04:37:17 PM
I got picked up on LinkedIn.

I switched jobs---working 2am to Noon Thursday through Sunday---to working 9-5 M-F. I finally had time.

Ended up browsing LinkedIn to see what was out there. It popped up: "Looking for volunteers." Okay, I'll check it out. I messaged the unit on Facebook. I had a reply back in an hour. I was down there a few days later visiting.

Bingo!

NIN

Very much this.

In December, recruiting will be doing a webinar on a technique very similar to this.. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on November 09, 2018, 04:25:04 PM

Very much this.

In December, recruiting will be doing a webinar on a technique very similar to this.. :)
Two potential recruits coming Monday - a pilot and a cadet, both from FB. :)