Main Menu

CAP Movies

Started by James Shaw, February 13, 2010, 01:18:14 PM

James Shaw

I am currently working on a project that involves taking all of the vintage CAP movies and putting them on one DVD to offer through the Historical Foundation. I am new to this kind of stuff and am looking for suggestions on a decent software package for video editing. My budget is low for the software $100 or less. This is not paid for by CAP but my project. This is what will be on the DVD so far.

The Civil Air Patrol Story (now on DVD)
Accent on Youth (now on DVD)
Always Vigilant (now on DVD)
Sky Sentinels (have to accquire)
News reel video clips from WWII and others. (have to accquire)
Music and vintage radio commercials (converted from 33 and 45 rpm's.)

Suggestions on the software would be great.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

flyboy53

I know your question was about software, but how about a few other ones that I remember. Back in the 1960s, there was an Air Force 16 mm film from the AF Audiovisual Service that detailed a CAP search and rescue mission. I can't remember the title, something about A Night on some Messa. Also, there was a movie released about a decade ago called Solo Flight that featured the Utah Wing in the search of a student pilot. I also remember a episode from "This is Your Life" that detailed the resue of an Air Force pilot in Colorado and how a CAP pilot (chief warrent officer) landed  a PA-18 in extremely hazardous conditions to rescue the pilot who was trapped in the wreckage.

Spike

Go to the DVIDS website.  Call a clerk at the Audio Visual office and tell them what you are doing, they are most willing to asssit in historical activities!

I also recommend the old slideshows from 197-1985.  "The CAP Story (with music and the "non music" version).  "Senior Member Orientation" and "Cadet Program"

I have them all and would be willing to make copies for you.  PM me if you desire.

I am sorry I can not help.  I will pass your question on though!

smitjud

When all else fails, there is always "Love's Deadly Triangle: The Texas Cadet Murder".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119579/

On second thought....maybe not such a good idea.  Not CAP's best day.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

jimmydeanno

My old unit has a few VHS tapes of CAP promotional videos.  One starts with some old school footage of CAP members on horseback (in black and white) searching for a plane in a gully.  It has the token 1950s PSA announcer voice that goes with it.  Then it goes into more modern stuff about CAP.  I think it was called "Semper Vigilins" but could be mistaken.

Additionally, they have a VHS that was about Hawk Mountain.  It features a bunch of HMRS grads talking about their experiences and how "growing up in the inner city" doesn't expose you to the leadership opportunities that CAP and, more specifically, HMRS do. 

Not sure if that is the sort of thing you're trying to find, but I'm sure that a lot of units have that sort of thing kicking around...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Cowboy in the Clouds (1943)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035762/

Ranch boss Steve Kendall goes to the aid of the Civil Air Patrol, which is under fire from Amos Fowler, the richest man in the state. Steve, aided by Dorrie Bishop, his sidekick Cannonball and his cowhands battles thundering hoofs, gunfire, air attacks and a forest fire.

I've never seen it, but have read references to it over the years in my studies.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

♠SARKID♠

Seems to be lost in time.  I can't find much of anything about it except the imdb clone pages.

Major Carrales

From TCM...

QuoteWhen Civil Air Patrol pilot Glen Avery makes a forced landing on Steve Kendall's ranch, Cannonball, one of the ranch hands, suspects Avery of being a spy. Upon investigating the pilot, however, Steve and the boys discover that Avery is a member of the Civil Air Patrol, whose assignment is to involve civilians in a war defense project. Steve and the boys go to CAP headquarters to join up and there meet Capt. Hadley, who explains that Amos Fowler, the richest man in the state, has been using all his influence to oppose the project. Deciding to talk to Fowler personally, Steve proceeds to his office, but Fowler has him thrown out and then assigns his henchmen, Roy Madison and Dean, to defeat the CAP venture. Dorrie Bishop, meanwhile, one of the CAP pilots, proposes holding a series of benefit performances to raise funds to support the CAP. When the shows become an immediate success, Fowler instructs his men to use force to disrupt the performances. After Madison and Dean stop one of the shows, Steve goes to confront Fowler at his home and gets into a fight with Madison. After Steve and Madison knock each other out, Dean, who has a grudge against Madison, enters the room, shoots Madison and plants the murder weapon on Steve. When Steve is arrested for murder, Dorrie and the boys raise the bail money for his release. One day, while flying, Dorrie discovers Dean hiding in the back seat of her plane. Although he threatens her with his gun, motor trouble forces her to land in the center of a raging forest fire. After Dorrie signals for help, Steve and his men come to the rescue, arriving just in time to witness Dean signing a confession to Madison's murder. Dorrie then reveals that she is Fowler's daughter, and Fowler, grateful to the men of the CAP for rescuing his daughter, becomes a major supporter of the project.
and an intersting note from that site...
QuoteAccording to materials contained in NARS in Washington, D.C., the Office of Censorship of the Los Angeles Board of Review disapproved this picture for export because "the Western formula of exaggerated melodrama has been applied to a vital wartime organization." 

Gene Autry also, seems to have composed some of the music.

http://www.tcmuk.tv/movie_database_results.php?action=title&id=71678
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

♠SARKID♠

I wonder if there's a way to get a copy...

tarheel gumby

TCM Should be able to point you in the right direction, they seem to periodically advertise movies on DVD.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Lt. Mom

If you haven't picked up your software yet, I would be willing to contribute to the cost of it, say, $30.00, in exchange for a copy of the finished CD.  What a great idea to do this!  Let me know if you are interested.

dogboy

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2010, 10:16:01 PM
Cowboy in the Clouds (1943)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035762/

Movie not found but here's the theme song.

http://www.archive.org/details/JimmyWakleyAndTheRoughRiders-CowboyInTheClouds1943

In film school, a movie like this is called an "oater" and they were cranked out by the hundreds by the marginal studios, collectively called "Poverty Row".  Before TV, the average American went to the movies twice a week and there was a big market for unsophisticated movies like this. I'm just old enough to remember going to the movies for a whole Summer Saturday afternoon both for the air conditioning and the double feature plus a serial plus a half dozen cartoons. It cost a quarter and if you were really a criminal type, you snuck in a candy bar to avoid the movie theater's penny surcharge

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogboy link=topic=9889.msg19quote author=dogboy link=topic=9889.msg195885#msg195885 date=1275779314]
...you were really a criminal type, you snuck in a candy bar to avoid the movie theater's penny surcharge

So nothing has changed in a long time, eh?

EMT-83

... except the penny surcharge on the candy bar is now four bucks.

a2capt

..and the candy bar is four percent of the original size.