CAP Use of Seaplanes

Started by oreilly19382, October 14, 2011, 05:41:28 PM

oreilly19382

To All:

I'm the Historian for the Coastal Charleston Squadron (SC-056 and PB #8).  I decided that for my Master level I'll going to attempt to gather information (as complete as possible) on CAP's use of seaplanes through its history.  My first goal is to produce a complete roster of seaplane tail numbers and types used since 1942.

If anyone can give me guidance or speciic information I'd be very appreciative.  I will contact the WA and AK wing as I think they have current inventory but I wonder who else uses seaplanes.  Except for specific types this may be hard as standard wheel types (C-206) can also be equipped with floats and that is not searchable in the FAA or other databases.

Thanks

Phil O'Reilly, Capt

RiverAux

Oh wow, not to be discouraging, but I think you're going to have a hard time making a masters out of that particular topic given the weakness of CAP records in relation to most topics.  I'd strongly encourage you to broaden it out to include all CAP aerial operations in coastal waters.  Of course, the WWII aspect is fairly well covered already, but there is a lot of new territory that could be covered since then. 

Larry Mangum

Washington does not have seaplanes. Alaska is the only wing I am aware of that has planes on floats.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

BillB

During World War II all seaplanes were privately owned. Since the War, there have been several instances when CAP membamphibianers flew their own seaplanes on SAR missions. I took part in a few along Florida's west coast myself in my Lake amphibian. One was for a missing aircraft, but all others (3 or 4) were for mising boaters.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Ed Bos

Alaska has several aircraft on amphibs & floats year-round, and several that transition from floats to skis depending on the season.

PM me for contact information and the right folks to discuss this with.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

ol'fido

There are several photos of CAP Sikorsky S-39s from the WW2 era floating about.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

now if only we could get ahold of some Catalina PBY-5's  >:D
No longer active on CAP talk

flyboy53

Quote from: oreilly19382 on October 14, 2011, 05:41:28 PM
To All:

I'm the Historian for the Coastal Charleston Squadron (SC-056 and PB #8).  I decided that for my Master level I'll going to attempt to gather information (as complete as possible) on CAP's use of seaplanes through its history.  My first goal is to produce a complete roster of seaplane tail numbers and types used since 1942.

If anyone can give me guidance or speciic information I'd be very appreciative.  I will contact the WA and AK wing as I think they have current inventory but I wonder who else uses seaplanes.  Except for specific types this may be hard as standard wheel types (C-206) can also be equipped with floats and that is not searchable in the FAA or other databases.

Thanks

Phil O'Reilly, Capt

Start with the common stuff as a guide. Generally there were S-39 seaplanes assigned to the Coastal Patrol bases...I'm pretty sure at least one for each base. You can find references to them in Maine to Mexico and the Flying Minutemen books. I would check with the National Historian to see what records exist for each of those bases in order to track the tail numbers.

Remember that the one most confirmed sub kill was with a seaplane (I believe it to be a Grumman) and the mission that resulted with the first two Air Medals also involved a seaplane. That specific aircraft, by the way, is at the New England Air & Space Museum.

I would check with wings like California, Florida, Puerto Rico and Alaska to see what amphibs or seaplanes were ever in their inventories (even member-owned). I remember an Alaskan Wing amphib back in the late 70s and they converted one or more of their 206s and Beavers to floats over the years.

Hope this helps....

EMT-83

Quote from: flyboy1 on October 15, 2011, 03:11:32 AMRemember that the one most confirmed sub kill was with a seaplane (I believe it to be a Grumman) and the mission that resulted with the first two Air Medals also involved a seaplane. That specific aircraft, by the way, is at the New England Air & Space Museum.

I'll be there next weekend if you want any photos.

flyboy53

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 15, 2011, 04:48:31 PM
Quote from: flyboy1 on October 15, 2011, 03:11:32 AMRemember that the one most confirmed sub kill was with a seaplane (I believe it to be a Grumman) and the mission that resulted with the first two Air Medals also involved a seaplane. That specific aircraft, by the way, is at the New England Air & Space Museum.

I'll be there next weekend if you want any photos.

Just clarifying...that seaplane is the Sikorsky S-39 that was involved in the rescue. Another interesting part of that aircraft's history is that that it crashed into the side of a mountain in Alaska sometime after the war, where it was recovered years later and re-built.

The museum also has a Stinson that is marked as a Costal Patrol aircraft, complete with bomb in shackles underneath.

I don't have to tell you how exciting it is to come upon such a display when you don't expect it.

By the way, I'd be interested in this product when you complete it. I personally think it would be pretty interesting.

Jtedwards0110

I'd be interested to see what you gather as well, I'm just starting out as my unit's historian. Looks like you have an interesting topic, look forward to seeing it completed!
T. Edwards
2d Lt, USAF Auxiliary
NC Wing, CAP

jimmydeanno

FYI,  there is a painting at NHQ of a seaplane dropping a bomb on a uboat that is surfacing.  Tail number is NC2867.  Not sure if its accurate, but might help.

Also, there is a book by J.B. Colby written in the 50s called "This is Your Civil Air Patrol."  It has a section called "Typical CAP Aircraft" with some pictures.  One is a CAP seaplane.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill