Main Menu

CAP Foot Drill

Started by sardak, March 26, 2011, 05:34:15 AM

sardak

This is an article that appeared on the front page of the Maryville [Missouri] Daily Forum, Tuesday Evening, March 31, 1942.

CAP Foot Drill Tonight

When the Civil Air Patrol meets tonight at 7:30 o'clock at the armory it is urgent that all members attend, it was announced today by Capt. E. G. Schultz, group commander.
He said that the aerial missions planned for the CAP are being held up until the preliminary foot drill is completed and he hopes that with full attendance the foot drills can be completed in two weeks.
In a couple of weeks the outfit will be uniformed, according to Capt. Schultz

What if we tried that today? No flying until we learn to drill. And no uniforms, either.

Also on the front page of the same edition:

Civilian Defense Rally Will Be Held In Maryville Monday Night

In a rally to disseminate further information and generate greater enthusiasm in the Civilian Defense program a dinner-meeting has been planned for next Monday night in Maryville.
The article is seven paragraphs long. Tickets to the dinner were being sold for 50 cents.

Mike

Eclipse

We would have 2/3rd's the members and 1/2 the pilots and be better for it.

My favorite quote of 2010, and possibly my all time favorite CAP comment:

"I don't read regs, I read FARs..."

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2011, 06:02:45 AM
We would have 2/3rd's the members and 1/2 the pilots and be better for it.

My favorite quote of 2010, and possibly my all time favorite CAP comment:

"I don't read regs, I read FARs..."

Apparently I'm not alone in what I'm starting to think: we need to shrink in order to grow.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

BillB

Does anyone know what the percentage of Senior members were former cadets? They would know "foot drill".  It would be interesting to see how much membership would drop if drill was required for Seniors before they could fly or wear the uniform. But it todays "non-USAF Auxiliary", D&C is not needed by Senior members other than a 1/2 day class for those rare times a Senior needs the knowledge.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jimmydeanno

Quote from: BillB on March 26, 2011, 09:51:47 AM
Does anyone know what the percentage of Senior members were former cadets? They would know "foot drill".  It would be interesting to see how much membership would drop if drill was required for Seniors before they could fly or wear the uniform. But it todays "non-USAF Auxiliary", D&C is not needed by Senior members other than a 1/2 day class for those rare times a Senior needs the knowledge.

Bill,  it's not even something that the overwhelming majority of military personnel need to know.  Other than marching in the parade for BMT graduation or ROTC, I can't tell you the last time I saw an actual marching formation on an Air Force base.  I think that the practical need for drill left when the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression, whatever you feel like calling it) was won.

Seems to be only training purposes and formal events, now.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

The primary reason that drill is necessary is not the drilling, it is the attention to detail, requirement to actually listen and pay attention, and
the release of ego and self into a larger whole.  It is the acknowledgement that at times one must simply obey instructions without question or filter.

Something all of our seniors would benefit from and many sorely need.

Walking is easy.  Marching in step is harder, drill is harder still.

It is something 12 year olds can do with perfection that many captains of industry cannot, which embarrasses them and blocks their interest.

My best friends in CAP are seniors who could not drill with a fully charged Makita in both hands, but will try for the sheer fun of trying, and
are comfortable enough with their place in the Grande Scheme that they know that trying and failing actually raises the respect of their peers
vs. not trying at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

I'm not thinking of Seniors taking drill to become a drill team, but rather learn HOW to drill, what each command means etc. So when they get an award they can march to the platform salute and do an about face correctly. Anything a cadet can do, a Senior should also be able to do. (but in most cases can't)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104