CAP History for Cadet encampment

Started by tarheel gumby, December 13, 2010, 07:22:38 PM

tarheel gumby

Has anyone taught a CAP History Class at encampment? I would like get some Ideas and feed back.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

manfredvonrichthofen

I haven't been to an encampment as staff, only as a cadet trainee. I remember being taught CAP History as three different classes. I would love to get into being senior staff at an encampment and teach CAP history. I would start with the earliest history in WWII and go on from there trying to incorporate the SMOV recipients and what they did to help with the CAP missions. I would try to stay away from who the higher chain of command was unless they were in a point of importance to the historical actions.

AdAstra

First of all, with enthusiasm!

Let's face it, to most cadets "History" probably conjures up dreaded memories of memorizing dates and the names of DWG. Boring! Over 10 years ago, I began using the title "CAP Heritage" for the many classes I've presented to both officers and cadets, as well as the display I set up once or twice a year at conferences. I emphasize that this is the legacy passed on to us from our founders, as well as all those who followed over the past 69 years.

The history section from the old Level I course used to be about the only thing we had. And I was always had to quickly explain that CAP history didn't mysteriously end in 1948, but we continue to make CAP history today. The history article in the new Foundations Course has been edited down to a couple of short paragraphs! The "Highlights of CAP History" reading from the new Officer Basic Course isn't a bad guide: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Highlights_of_CAP_and_USAF_History__ABFCBED03EC81.pdf. It's very interesting to note that this reading talks about a number of cadets who have gone on to do great things.

I'll admit that I stole a page from some successful history teachers, don a WWII-era CAP uniform when I talk about CAP Heritage, and have a lot of fun. If I'm in a particularly creative mood, I'll pick up a battered leather flight jacket from CP Base 2, muse about what stories this jacket could tell, put on the jacket and begin talking about why "I" joined CAP, what we accomplished on Coastal Patrol, and so on....

Again, do it with enthusiasm, and get your audience excited about the great things that our forebears have left for us.

Charles Wiest

flyboy53

It's too bad that there isn't a real CAP History section of any encampment or PD class. It helps cultivate an attitude of pride and respect in the organization.

One of the Air Medal-winning airmen lost at sea during the WW II CAP anti-sub campaign was from one of the squadron's in my Group. That squadron's patch reflects that proud history with red background and a small WW II CAP emblem in a prominent place.

Only a few of the older senior members are aware of that connection. When current cadets are briefed of that history, they are usually stunned and stary-eyed.

James Shaw

Quote from: tarheel gumby on December 13, 2010, 07:22:38 PM
Has anyone taught a CAP History Class at encampment? I would like get some Ideas and feed back.

Not at an incampment but have taught many history classes for CAP. I have an outline that I use that can adapted for your use. PM your email address and I will send.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current