Did anyone else chuckle when you read this?

Started by Stonewall, January 27, 2009, 08:39:20 PM

Stonewall

I know Safety is no laughing matter, but I'm sorry, I laughed a little...

From the Sentinel Safety Newsletter:
Bodily Injury
*Cadet did a back flip off pool edge and struck pool edge with front teeth
*Cadet injured finger trying to catch a football
*Senior member injured by falling crowbar
*Cadet injured shoulder doing push-ups
*Cadet sitting outside during ground team training, leaned forward and received foreign object in nostril

That's why cadets shouldn't be "sitting outside" during ground team training.  He should have been doing flutter kicks, push-ups or reciting the Rescue Creed or something  :P
Serving since 1987.

swamprat86

JoeTomasone

I don't read the Sentinel - gives me too many ideas.    >:D

I actually laughed out loud at that one.  I mean c'mon you don't see that object there?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

swamprat86

I want to know what the "object" was.  Was it possibly self-inflicted?

RiverAux

I had seen it and thought of bringing it up here, but couldn't come up with a worthy enough punchline. 

alamrcn

Did anyone else GROAN when you read...

QuoteBodily Injury

YOWEEE!!! I'd much rather get hit by that falling crow bar. And BTW, did it say "ACME" on it?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JROB

Im glad im not the only one who thought that it was funny
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

RiverAux

I don't think the injury was that funny, but the way they wrote it up certainly was. 

jb512

Quote from: RiverAux on January 27, 2009, 11:05:43 PM
I don't think the injury was that funny, but the way they wrote it up certainly was. 

I'd certainly point and laugh at you if you had a foreign object in your nostril.

JROB

Quote from: RiverAux on January 27, 2009, 11:05:43 PM
I thought the way it was written was funny
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

BuckeyeDEJ

Bodily Injury
*Cadet injured finger trying to catch a football
*Senior member injured by falling crowbar
*Cadet injured shoulder doing push-ups
*Cadet sitting outside during ground team training, leaned forward and received foreign object in nostril[/color]

How does a cadet injure himself doing push-ups? How?

Don't get me wrong. I have sympathy for the affected in the backflip and nose incidents, and hope they learned an unfortunate lesson in using common sense. In the case of the football, accidents happen sometimes. And for the crowbar? Bet it's from Acme.

But injuring a shoulder doing push-ups? That's incredible.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

Why would that be so crazy?  You're asking muscles to do something and sometimes things go wrong. 

Al Sayre

Quote from: swamprat86 on January 27, 2009, 09:31:20 PM
I want to know what the "object" was.  Was it possibly self-inflicted?

Dollar says it was a finger... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's hilarious.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: alamrcn on January 27, 2009, 10:25:41 PM
Did anyone else GROAN when you read...

QuoteBodily Injury

YOWEEE!!! I'd much rather get hit by that falling crow bar. And BTW, did it say "ACME" on it?

The pool incident got a roomful of groans when it was read at our safety meeting.

I guess they forgot to mention the other poor soul got out of the way of the ACME anvil only to get hit by the crow bar

Eclipse

Cadet: "Last night I had a great idea for an activity, but this morning I can't seem to put my finger on it..."

"That Others May Zoom"

tarheel gumby

:D >:D :D >:D :D >:D
Those write ups always crack me up.......now that being said I have a child that once went to a Dr's office for an object in one nostril and was back 5 minutes later for a sticker up the other.  ;D He got the sticker at the Dr's Office.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

♠SARKID♠

Quote*Cadet sitting outside during ground team training, leaned forward and received foreign object in nostril

RedFox24

Not very PC of NHQ, shouldn't they have said "international" object instead of "foreign"?
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

NIN

Remember, commanders, wrap your troopies in foam rubber, lest they bump into fixed object or one another in the course of their duties.

I had a kid trip over his own feet enroute to formation once. Only injury my unit had in years.  That year at the wing conference it was: "The following squadrons come up front to receive your safety awards.. well, ok, to make this easier, all commanders come up front...wait one second, Concord Squadron.."

What was I supposed to do to mitigate this accident? "Instructed cadet on the use of both left feet.."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversationsâ„¢
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

stratoflyer

Ah, it never ends. Safety...safety.... :-\

Honestly, tell someone not to push that red button and what are they gonna do?

Keep drilling safety into us and someone will say, "Uh, this is still safe, right? Sure it is."

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

Gotta say, when the safety briefing for my unit was held last night, everyone was laughing.

Not that it's funny, but at the same time, it is.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RADIOMAN015

I always read the "Sentinel" and although accidents/injuries are not funny at any time BUT especially IF you are the one it happens to -- one does have to wonder how some of these do occur.  A few months ago there was one in there about "senior member bit by dog on thigh", which go me wondering was it another member's dog OR were they on a mission and wandered into some "mad dog's" protected territory ???  Perhaps the corrective recommendation should be to watch a few episodes of "Dog Whisper" ;D
RM

Gunner C

Quote from: RedFox24 on January 30, 2009, 01:16:12 AM
Not very PC of NHQ, shouldn't they have said "international" object instead of "foreign"?
;D ;D

TEAM SURGE

I wonder what the foreign object was haha.  :D
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Major Lord

In my experience, most cadet's nasal injururies are what we EMT types call "digitally enhanced". If the safety report does not give us more specific information, how are we supposed to have our team of MBA's and safety Nazis write a plan for ameliorization?
I see the likely list of injury causing foreign objects in this case as; 1) Finger, 2) L-per antenna element, 3) rocket launching rod, 4) finger.

My personal favorite safety report was one concerning a cadet who received a laceration on his thumb requiring sutures while taking a written exam....Maybe some cadet squadrons do things a little differently..

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: RedFox24 on January 30, 2009, 01:16:12 AM
I think you mean "undocumented".
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

tarheel gumby

;D Careful now we don't want to get CBP or DHS upset ;D
And by the way I did get a small chuckle..... but the is because it reminded me of my youngest son when he was a toddler
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

TEAM SURGE

I just went back when I read this...it truely is amazingly funny. I am not going to lie. I just wish I could have been there! To see it all happen.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

alamrcn

I don't know why I even want to know, but would a finger really be a "foreign" object? Assuming that the term was not misused, it then probably was not his/her OWN finger... However, perhaps they were utilizing the buddy system?

Because of this Safety report, I'm now going to be a little more alert when pulling out my nose hairs with my Gerber multi-tool.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Stonewall

Quote from: alamrcn on February 24, 2009, 03:18:54 PM
Because of this Safety report, I'm now going to be a little more alert when pulling out my nose hairs with my Gerber multi-tool.

*Gatorade now on my keyboard*

Why?  Because I've done that.  Someone told me I needed to check "myself".  Pulled out the old multi-tool for some manscaping.  Hurt like no one's busines, but now I'll have to remember this Sentinel report.
Serving since 1987.

chiles

I don't know why I even want to know, but would a finger really be a "foreign" object? Assuming that the term was not misused, it then probably was not his/her OWN finger... However, perhaps they were utilizing the buddy system?

In my medical career, we have always considered a nobject that's not supposed to be in a body cavity a "foreign object". I'm sure we can all agree that there are some places even your own finger should never be!
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: chiles on February 24, 2009, 04:46:53 PM

In my medical career, we have always considered a nobject that's not supposed to be in a body cavity a "foreign object". I'm sure we can all agree that there are some places even your own finger should never be!

:P :D
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Nolan Teel

Thats it, no more sitting outside for Cadets!

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

maverik

with parents these days they aint a bad idear (gotta love my southern roots) heck this day an' age if you sneeze parents think you have small pox I think everybody needs to be like my parents they always tell me "do what you want but I'm not taking your (insert term for a donkey here) to the ER  AGAIN
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Rob Sherlin

Now I'm really wondering what the object was and how it ended up in the cadets nostril. Either someone needs to teach this cadet the proper way to drink, or not to sit down face first.

He He He.......Good thing it didn't involve rocketry!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on March 16, 2009, 10:56:58 PM
  Now I'm really wondering what the object was and how it ended up in the cadets nostril. Either someone needs to teach this cadet the proper way to drink, or not to sit down face first.

I got a branch in my nose once on a training day, but I was walking through the woods and the person in front of me let go of a branch he was holding. It doesn't sound like this was the case though. If it was a cadet I can't imagine it was do to improper hair removal from the nasal passages.

Rob Sherlin

To have something go in your nose when you're just sitting there........Something would either have to fly in there, or you'd have to put it there.......Makes me wonder.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Fifinella

Quote from: Stonewall on February 24, 2009, 03:49:06 PM

*Gatorade now on my keyboard*

Why?  Because I've done that.  Someone told me I needed to check "myself".  Pulled out the old multi-tool for some manscaping.  Hurt like no one's busines, but now I'll have to remember this Sentinel report.
OUCH. :o  Flashback to Encampment: Cadet X with an earplug so far into the ear canal he couldn't retrieve it.  Did a precision extraction with my Leatherman... What do you call it if you remove a foreign object by inserting another foreign object?
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

pixelwonk

Quote from: Fifinella on March 16, 2009, 11:53:13 PM
What do you call it if you remove a foreign object by inserting another foreign object?
WIN!

tarheel gumby

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on March 16, 2009, 10:56:58 PMHe He He.......Good thing it didn't involve rocketry!
Ouch! ;D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: tarheel gumby on March 18, 2009, 01:53:40 AM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on March 16, 2009, 10:56:58 PMHe He He.......Good thing it didn't involve rocketry!
Ouch! ;D
There's a Bob Uecker quote from "Major League" along those lines, regarding a home-run ball that an outfielder couldn't reach, even "if he had a rocket up his" certain orificial area.

You owe me a keyboard. Coffee all over the place on that one.

flyerthom

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on February 22, 2009, 11:22:48 PM
I wonder what the foreign object was haha.  :D

Probably trying to disimpact a mosquito he inhaled. If it was back East they paint roundels on them and make them be equipped with Mode C transponders.
TC