Main Menu

EMT Cadets?

Started by CAPAirman, August 25, 2010, 06:57:23 AM

CAPAirman

I was wondering as a cadet can I get a EMT certification so I can be the squadron "medic" (BTW I am 16 yrs old)
C/AB C. Reynolds
Squadron 31
Group 3
CAWG
PCR

SarDragon

No. CAP members don't do "medic" stuff, adults or cadets. Sorry.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JayT

Quote from: CAPAirman on August 25, 2010, 06:57:23 AM
I was wondering as a cadet can I get a EMT certification so I can be the squadron "medic" (BTW I am 16 yrs old)

You're gonna get your heart broken if you go through EMT training to become a 'CAP Medic.' Do you want to be an EMT? Depending on your state, you may be able to qualify as a Certified First Responder/Emergency Medical Responder at age sixteen.

In CAP, medical care is not covered by any of CAP's insurance.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CadetProgramGuy

National registry criteria can be found on the www.nremt.org website.  This will inform you on the prerequsites to become an EMT or Paramedic.

Most states it is 18 for EMT-B and High School Graduate for Paramedic.

ltdaubach

I would encouage you to go and get your EMT.  Just because you don't do much "medic" things with CAP, that doesn't mean that you can't use your training.  When you have that qualification and someone is in need of medical assistance, you have a duty to help.  You do have to be a certain age to be an EMT or paramedic and I would advise you to check with your state and the NREMT regulations at the website that was listed above.

DC

No, but once you are old enough you can be a CAP Cadet who happens to have an EMT certification. You cannot act in a 'medic' capacity or treat anyone except in an emergency situation.

In the mean time, if you are interested in medicine I encourage you to check out getting Medical First Responder, or at least Advanced First Aid training. It's an excellent skill set to have, and unlike GTM training is applicable in everyday life.

Krapenhoeffer

Yeah, pretty much every state has a requirement of 18 for EMT-B.

However, most states allow for EMR-FR (First Responder) training to be done at 16. You might want to go look into volunteer EMS units in your area, and see if you could join them.

Just because CAPR forbids you from providing routine care while in CAP uniform, doesn't mean that you can't be part of an EMS squad.

And besides, aviator shirts with BluDU pants just look awesome.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Major Lord

Aside from the new piece of "flare" you get to wear on your uniform as an EMT ( Which, I grant you, to a cadet is as precious as life) EMT certification is most appropriate for people going into working EMS, but not a bad thing for anyone to have in their skill set ( I have EMT and a bit more, and have worked in the 911 system, in disasters, and in the third world ) Many of the skills are somewhat less transferable than you might think. Learning how to use a suction catheter or a Hare traction splint are things that you are not called upon to use in regular life too often. You might check out Wilderness First Aid Training, which applies to everyone from Basic First Aid People to MD's, and focuses on self-reliant medical treatment, as opposed to pre-hospital care. Hang out with wilderness medical people who will teach you cool stuff you are not supposed to know about......

I hope no one in CAP sold you on the idea that you could be a "medic" in CAP. There is no such animal. Many CAP people feel so strongly about the issue that they "cross dress" ( work for another SAR agency that actually encourages medical training ) on the side. Please believe me when I tell you that the doors to the castle of allowing CAP people to function medically have been assaulted for years, but never breached.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Jerry Jacobs

I got my Emergency Medical Responder at the age of 17, I strongly encourage you to pursue the training as it teaches some valuable patient assessment skills

SJFedor

There's plenty of things you should be doing, like progressing in the cadet program and getting the most you can out of it, before you should even think to start adding additional "special" titles like squadron medic, etc.

And to answer your question, no. You must be 18 to obtain an EMT-B certification in California. You owe me 20min of my life for searching through the CA EMSA website.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Or you could have just Googled "mimimum age for EMT in California" which gave me the answer in 15 seconds.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2010, 02:18:22 AM
Or you could have just Googled "mimimum age for EMT in California" which gave me the answer in 15 seconds.

True. But it was also mildly educational to see how CA governs their EMT's compared to the states i'm licensed in.

He still owes me.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

CAPAirman

Quote from: SJFedor on October 11, 2010, 02:30:26 AM

True. But it was also mildly educational to see how CA governs their EMT's compared to the states i'm licensed in.

He still owes me.
Owe you what? Time. You searched for your answer on your time. And trust me I'm trying to enjoy the program, but it doesn't help when I pass all my promotion tests 3 months ago and they haven't given my promotion to airman.
C/AB C. Reynolds
Squadron 31
Group 3
CAWG
PCR

DakRadz

Isn't it really your answer? Since he was looking because of a question you asked.. I think it was more of a joke anyway, lighten up. Unless you can explain how exactly you can pay time back :o (plus interest!)- do tell, because I owe a lot of time to several NCOs.. >:D

SJFedor

Quote from: CAPAirman on October 11, 2010, 04:51:53 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on October 11, 2010, 02:30:26 AM

He still owes me.
Owe you what? Time. You searched for your answer on your time. And trust me I'm trying to enjoy the program, but it doesn't help when I pass all my promotion tests 3 months ago and they haven't given my promotion to airman.

It's called a sense of humor; invest in one, it'll come in handy later in life.

...Especially if you're looking to go into EMS....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

HGjunkie

And trust me I'm trying to enjoy the program, but it doesn't help when I pass all my promotion tests 3 months ago and they haven't given my promotion to airman.
Care to elaborate?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAPAirman

I do have a sense of humor, I was trying to make a joke as well, if i offended you I'm sorry. But I don't plan to go EMS. I do plan to go to West Point after I graduate high School and after 10 years maybe be a police officer.
C/AB C. Reynolds
Squadron 31
Group 3
CAWG
PCR

CAPAirman

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 11, 2010, 09:33:43 AM
And trust me I'm trying to enjoy the program, but it doesn't help when I pass all my promotion tests 3 months ago and they haven't given my promotion to airman.
Care to elaborate?

What do you need to know?
C/AB C. Reynolds
Squadron 31
Group 3
CAWG
PCR

CAPAirman

Quote from: DakRadz on October 11, 2010, 04:55:11 AM
Isn't it really your answer? Since he was looking because of a question you asked.. I think it was more of a joke anyway, lighten up. Unless you can explain how exactly you can pay time back :o (plus interest!)- do tell, because I owe a lot of time to several NCOs.. >:D

How about shining their boots?!
C/AB C. Reynolds
Squadron 31
Group 3
CAWG
PCR

DakRadz

Quote from: CAPAirman on October 11, 2010, 02:33:03 PM
I do have a sense of humor, I was trying to make a joke as well, if i offended you I'm sorry. But I don't plan to go EMS. I do plan to go to West Point after I graduate high School and after 10 years maybe be a police officer.
If you want to go to an Academy, you'd better have a great sense of humor and a plethora of other sanity techniques. I've had an AD CAPT (he was Army, for those who couldn't tell, so yes, this is all capitalized) tell me he was positive that the prisoners across from West Point ate better than the cadets- thing is, I believe him... ??? ;D

Quote from: CAPAirman on October 11, 2010, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on October 11, 2010, 04:55:11 AM

How about shining their boots?!

Capt Fedor, I think he just volunteered for you to airmail him your boots ;)
What you said brings back sooo many memories... Hilarious, Sergeant-scathing memories.