CC Order To Stop Communications Outside Of the Unit

Started by BTCS1*, June 09, 2009, 01:56:10 AM

BTCS1*

Is it considered acceptable for a CC to order a cadet to stop all (CAP related) communications outside of their own unit until use of the COC and protocol is reviewed?
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BrandonKea

Quote from: IceNine on June 09, 2009, 02:01:19 AM
Sure.  Commander's prerogative

What sort of communications are we talking about here?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Absolutely.  Controlling the flow of information between units helps many commanders keep a better view of what is going on and wha
t the units obligations and liability are.  this to me applies even more in regards to cadets participating in other uni
Activities and events.  There is nothing like getting a phone call from a parent wondering where their cadet is, because they dr
opped them off for a CAP activity you know nothing about...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BTCS1*

C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

BrandonKea

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 09, 2009, 02:11:48 AM

Absolutely.  Controlling the flow of information between units helps many commanders keep a better view of what is going on and wha
t the units obligations and liability are.  this to me applies even more in regards to cadets participating in other uni
Activities and events.  There is nothing like getting a phone call from a parent wondering where their cadet is, because they dr
opped them off for a CAP activity you know nothing about...

Been there done that. WIWCadet Commander, we had a couple of cadets organize a field trip to another squadron, without CC approval. This went poorly when parents of cadets showed up to pick up their kids, and I got to tell them we didn't know where they were. That went well. I still have the LOC somewhere for that one....
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Eclipse

I'd suggest asking for clarification.

By design, everything in CAP is supposed to go through or by the unit commander an/or his staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Outside of CAC, I can't think of many good reasons for "official" communication between cadets of different units. 

ZigZag911

Quote from: RiverAux on June 09, 2009, 02:28:46 AM
Outside of CAC, I can't think of many good reasons for "official" communication between cadets of different units.

Encampment staff generally have some prep & coordination beforehand, at least upper echelons...of course, apps for E-staff need squadron CC approval, so the home unit commander would have at least general knowledge that this communication is going on.

lordmonar

With the exception of IG complains....everything going outside the squadron should go through the CC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: lordmonar on June 09, 2009, 05:48:39 AM
With the exception of IG complains....everything going outside the squadron should go through the CC.
Or at least with a courtesy copy to the CC when dealing staff section to staff section at the next higher headquarters.  Even that has problems.  We had a wing DO who thought he was a commander and gave direction directly to the squadron DO, passing the group.  I didn't know what was going on until it was nearly too late.

IceNine

^ Which is exactly the issue in a lot of cases.

He who holds the keys...

Staff officers that are the authority in their area usually earn enough respect with their commander's to do as they please, its when they forget that their power is only as strong as the commander's backing that things start to fall apart.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4