Need clarification on what counts as volunteer hours

Started by xray328, June 04, 2016, 01:50:31 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: xray328 on June 04, 2016, 05:54:43 PM
In the past, squadrons have given "community service hours" for various things. Not that these would count for the community service ribbon but a lot of times kids need proof of just "community service." Maybe that's the difference and part of the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure.....CAP time.....all of CAP time counts toward the presidential Volunteer service award.    So if school X says that working the trash pick up at the air show counts....then by all means type up the "Johnny did  six hours of volunteer service letter".

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

xray328

Great, thanks for that clarification. 

xray328

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2016, 06:01:21 PM
Quote from: xray328 on June 04, 2016, 05:54:43 PM
In the past, squadrons have given "community service hours" for various things. Not that these would count for the community service ribbon but a lot of times kids need proof of just "community service." Maybe that's the difference and part of the confusion.

Sure.....CAP time.....all of CAP time counts toward the presidential Volunteer service award.    So if school X says that working the trash pick up at the air show counts....then by all means type up the "Johnny did  six hours of volunteer service letter".

I see there's a lot of posts regarding the PVS award.  For those that participate, how are you counting the hours? If it's really "all CAP time" are you including meetings in that?  16 hours a day for encampments?  Are you including NCSA or NESA time?

lordmonar

Yes.  All hours spent actually on CAP. 

Eclipse

The PVSA is a huge waste of time - seriously, don't bother.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2016, 07:14:55 PM
The PVSA is a huge waste of time - seriously, don't bother.
Just have the cadets prepare the paperwork for the Commander's signature, and count the time wasted with doing so as hours!

stitchmom

Quote from: xray328 on June 04, 2016, 05:18:47 PM
How else are we going to encourage 12 year olds to volunteer if we're not supporting them? 

Scout masters are a gem of info as far as organizations that have it "set up" for teens to volunteer.   They may even have something planned in the future you can have your teen show up for.

Check with church youth groups or women's groups if they have a schedule time at the Ronald McDonald house or nursing home.

TheSkyHornet

As an inverse to Shaun's question:

What's the norm for considering CAP service to be volunteer service for external entities?

I've been approached by several cadets asking me if I would sign off their CAP hours as volunteer service time. They factored in the weekly meeting and other weekend activities (very nicely tracked I might add) as "volunteer time." I spoke with my chain of command on this matter, as I had never considered being asked if CAP counts as volunteer time while I had previously often considered what I would constitute as volunteer service toward their Community Service Ribbon in CAP.

So the consensus of the higher-ups was that all CAP time counts as volunteer service hours for outside organizations (youth clubs, school, etc.). I was a bit hesitant on saying PT and the weekly meeting constitutes as volunteer service to the community; but a good point was brought up: this is training so they can continue to participate in CAP and volunteer in the other events we have as a unit, which benefits the community, so it counts. Fair enough. Besides, at the end of the day, if CC says count it, I count it.

But I'm just wondering what the general norm is on the subject.

Eclipse

Cadets, on the whole, are being served.  I'd entertain the idea of specific projects or activities
counting - things with tangible community benefit like the highway cleanup, etc., but regular meetings
and similar activities?  No.

Any more then I'd allow my kids to use their BSA meetings as community service, even if the school would
accept it.  The river cleanup overnight they just did?  Maybe, but just the working hours.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I would never count time served in a CAP activity as volunteer time since that time is already counting for their membership in CAP. Or am I mistaken? Is it not one of CAP requirements for membership active participation? Whatever the unit defines as active participation.

Anything outside of these hours, I count as volunteer time.

A partial list of what I would consider:

Reading at the library to children, or elderly.
Putting books away at the library if not paid.
Helping at the Community Center.
Rebuilding a trail at a national park.
Helping clean a city, county, or national park.
Assisting with English children of non-native English speakers.
Assisting with English non-native English speakers.
Assisting with hospital patients.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

It really depends. For cadets, I would count any service that contributes to the community, participation in actual missions, or staff work beyond their normal membership and progression in the Cadet Programs. You see, there are things that are expected of a CAP cadet to be a CAP cadet. There are others that go above and beyond and could be counted, depending on the circumstances.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 06, 2016, 04:13:38 PM
It really depends. For cadets, I would count any service that contributes to the community, participation in actual missions, or staff work beyond their normal membership and progression in the Cadet Programs. You see, there are things that are expected of a CAP cadet to be a CAP cadet. There are others that go above and beyond and could be counted, depending on the circumstances.

That's my stance as well. I, personally, don't favor the idea of a cadet being able to say "my time here at the squadron is community service for my school requirement." I think that's a cop-out. I'd like to see more community involvement as opposed to attending a meeting.

I'm finding some parents are trying to use CAP as an hourly count for those cadets trying to get into service academies. That's great and all, but one's meeting attendance doesn't impress me. I already expect that of every member.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 06, 2016, 04:30:20 PMI'm finding some parents are trying to use CAP as an hourly count for those cadets trying to get into service academies.

wow - I could see that back-firing spectacularly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Participating in/support of "Honor Flight" would certainly count.   Assisting at the "Meet and Greets" (serving the meal), the departure and arrival of the Flights ... writing letters for the "Mail Call" ... check out a local hub near you.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Ned

FWIW, about 30 years ago I represented a friend (and fellow CAP member) on a DUI.  I was able to convince the judge to waive the jail and fines provided that my friend volunteered 100 hours to "working with a charitable youth group."

My friend was not scheduled to work encampment that year, but I made sure he went to clock "extra" CAP hours to qualify.

I thought it was a good dispo.

(And yes, he went to the mandated alcohol class, had his license restricted for a time, etc.  Did him a world of good.  He continues to live a sober and productive life today.)

AirAux

My Cadets are helping at the local Church to pack lunches for the school age children that usually get free lunch at school.  they wear a uniform if they want.  Good recruiting and visibility.  Good volunteer times!!

arajca

While not being specific, I will tell any commanders to make sure the are consistent in what they count for this. If helping at a animal shelter counts for one cadet, it should also count for other cadets.

kwe1009

Quote from: arajca on June 08, 2016, 04:08:40 AM
While not being specific, I will tell any commanders to make sure the are consistent in what they count for this. If helping at a animal shelter counts for one cadet, it should also count for other cadets.

^^^^^^  The most important aspect!

Here is the policy that I followed:

1. Activity sponsored by CAP (squadron, group, wing, etc.) - Doesn't count toward Community Service Ribbon
2. Activity not sponsored by CAP - Counts toward Community Service Ribbon

As far as "double dipping," I'm really not that overly concerned about it.  If a cadet wants to count his volunteer hours for the Community Service Ribbon and then submit the same hours for the President's Award or anything else I really don't see a problem with it.  Them getting recognized by different organizations for doing one thing is nothing new and happens all the time. 

Storm Chaser

I don't think double dipping is an issue. But I do have an issue when the community service is required by their membership or participation in another program or organization, and it's then used for additional recognition in CAP. It's not different from a cadet getting credit for volunteer or community service for attending CAP weekly meetings, which is required as part of their membership in CAP.