Main Menu

Bad News for CAPTalk

Started by JeffDG, January 24, 2016, 10:07:17 PM

THRAWN

"In recognition of your presentation of the Self Medal of Valor"....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pace on January 28, 2016, 06:31:22 PM
The back should read, "The owner of this coin is entitled to wear the SMoV for any of the following actions: directing traffic, stubbing a toe, entertaining 'he who shall not be named', etc."

That's deep. Might be hard to fit it all.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Pace on January 28, 2016, 06:31:22 PM
The back should read, "The owner of this coin is entitled to wear the SMoV for any of the following actions: directing traffic, stubbing a toe, entertaining 'he who shall not be named', etc."

I think "Get Out of CAP Free" is more appropriate.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

FW

It's hard to believe 10 years has gone by since this "mishigash" transpired.  At least we can laugh about it now...

NIN

Quote from: FW on January 29, 2016, 03:11:10 AM
It's hard to believe 10 years has gone by since this "mishigash" transpired.  At least we can laugh about it now...

And its hard to believe that it was 8-9 years before that we were warned "This guy is trouble, watch out!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on January 29, 2016, 03:33:19 AM
Quote from: FW on January 29, 2016, 03:11:10 AM

And its hard to believe that it was 8-9 years before that we were warned "This guy is trouble, watch out!"

I find it hard to believe that he's still drawing his retirement from the FDLE and he's not in Leavenworth.

FW

^ I don't think violating our Core Values warrant a stay-cation at Leavenworth or disqualification of retirement benefits, however it does make for good satire once in a while...  ;D

PHall

Quote from: FW on January 29, 2016, 01:59:32 PM
^ I don't think violating our Core Values warrant a stay-cation at Leavenworth or disqualification of retirement benefits, however it does make for good satire once in a while...  ;D

I'm talking about the multiple counts of test compromise that he somehow never was charged with.

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2016, 03:51:55 PM

I'm talking about the multiple counts of test compromise that he somehow never was charged with.

That would probably be covered by 18 USC § 1001 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001):
Quote(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.

That would cover it because I would expect that if the test were administered by the USAF, that would be a "matter withing the jurisdiction of the executive...branch of the Government of the United States"

For reference, this is the same law under which Martha Stewart was given a vacation at the taxpayer's expense.

Chappie

It was a dark/troubling chapter in our history.  Glad that is all behind us.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

THRAWN

And those uniforms he picked! Ugh!

Just had to keep us on track with what's important. Can we not barracks lawyer the Hades out of why/if he should be making big rocks into little ones?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MSG Mac

The guy who took that flak was the guy who took the test.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LSThiker

Why even discuss this guy anymore?  Does he even deserve the time and effort even spent "talking" about him?  Let him be forgotten for good.

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 29, 2016, 06:40:01 PM

The guy who took that flak was the guy who took the test.

AFAIK Mr Hayden was never even charged for that. The Air Force did nothing to him,

FW

^ I understand there was never any proof the AFDL exams were compromised.  No proof, no charges, no legal implications.  Yes, I know what was said back then, and what probably occurred, however nothing more could be done.  In fact, the AF investigated the matter, and determined the BoG overstepped their bounds.  But, that's another story... >:D

Luis R. Ramos

If that guy knew some members still discuss him, he would be laughing and enjoying himself!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 29, 2016, 09:51:57 PM
If that guy knew some members still discuss him, he would be laughing and enjoying himself!

Yeah, we still talk about him. He's a great example of what not to do!
Makes a great case study for ethics classes too!

ALORD

I have been in CAP 15 years in February. During that time, I have seen senior members who were embezzlers, professional con-artists, military impersonators, and various forms of sexual deviants. More interesting to me is the number of people who describe a Senior Member in their circle and they sound like they are checking the list right off the DSM, for personality disorders, like covert narcissism, borderline personality disorders, and varying degrees of sociopathy ( Psychopaths). The most interesting, and I believe the most common, is the so-called "Industrial Psychopath" ( Note that these disorders are all part of a triad, and some may be co-morbid with  others. Psychopaths, for instance, are all Narcissists, but all Narcissists are not psychopaths. Here is a self-scoring test intended to be interpreted by professionals, but think of some of your Squadron members or co-workers and see how much applies:

1. Glibness and superficial charm
– smooth-talking, engaging and slick.

2. Grandiose self-worth
– greatly inflated idea of one's abilities and self-esteem, arrogance and a sense of superiority.

3. Pathological lying
– shrewd, crafty, sly and clever when moderate; deceptive, deceitful, underhanded and unscrupulous when high.

4. Cunning/manipulative
– uses deceit and deception to cheat others for personal gain.

5. Lack of remorse or guilt
- no feelings or concern for losses, pain and suffering of others, coldhearted and unempathic.

6. Shallow affect / emotional poverty
– limited range or depth of feelings; interpersonal coldness.

7. Callous/lack of empathy
– a lack of feelings toward others; cold, contemptuous and inconsiderate.

8. Fails to accept responsibility for own actions
– denial of responsibility and an attempt to manipulate others through this.

9. Needs stimulation/prone to boredom
– an excessive need for new, exciting stimulation and risk-taking.

10. Parasitic lifestyle
– Intentional, manipulative, selfish and exploitative financial dependence on others.

11. Poor behavioral controls
– expressions of negative feelings, verbal abuse and inappropriate expressions of anger.

12. No realistic long-term goals
– inability or constant failure to develop and accomplish long-term plans.

13. Impulsiveness
– behaviors lacking reflection or planning and done without considering consequences.

14. Irresponsible
– repeated failure to fulfill or honor commitments and obligations.

15. Juvenile delinquency
– criminal behavioral problems between the ages of 13-18.

16. Early behavior problems
– a variety of dysfunctional and unacceptable behaviors before age thirteen.

17. Revocation of Conditional Release
– Violating probation or other conditional release because of technicalities.

18. Promiscuity
– brief, superficial relations, numerous affairs and an indiscriminate choice of sexual partners.

19. Many short-term marital relationships
– lack of commitment to a long-term relationship.

20. Criminal versatility
– diversity of criminal offenses, whether or not the individual has been arrested or convicted.

Many of these line-items will not be apparent on first meeting the member. Indeed, it can take quite some time before people start comparing notes and realize that there is a charming, ingratiating monster in their midst. My own squadron has had at least two that I know of. Many people who personally know psychopaths will recognize one in seconds. They are monsters in human form.  I have worked with them enough to develop a sense of danger when meeting them ( They scare the bejeepers out of me! )

So my question is, why as an institution, does CAP seem to attract so many members within the triad of personality disorders? In some cases, being a psychopath is highly rewarding. You never experience fear, you can lie seamlessly, and you can revise the truth to paper over almost anything that you are caught doing. I believe that Mr. Pineda was just such a man, but CAP has had members in high leadership positions, who, for a while at least, were very successful within CAP. Most psychopaths are not axe-wielding maniacs. They try to fit it, but their attempts to appear to show genuine empathy make most people feel "creepy". Does this sound like anyone you know? High-functioning sociopaths, narcissists, and borderline personalities can often pass as normal for a long time, but eventually, they give themselves away.

Because of this and other episodes, it is important to recognize the value of our historical failures, with a critical eye towards avoiding them in the future. It is not just beating a dead horse.

NC Wing Range Master

E Gad!.....What did I miss? 
Fifteen years ago I was still in the Army.  You mean CAP has people in leadership positions that "Set low standards for the selves and continually fail to meet them"?  That "Can best serve this organization by finding someplace else to be."?  Or "Displays the Bearing and Professionalism expected of a person that was developmentally challenged from a young age."?

And I thought all those guys worked in the Pentagon.  Silly me.

"Because even at the Pentagon, Sammiches just don't make themselves."
AIRBORNE!  ALL THE WAY
1Lt Roger C. Ayscue, CAP
MER-NC-162 CDC
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
iredellcap.com