Please Don't Nuke Your Posts

Started by MIKE, March 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

MIKE

Please don't delete the content of your post and leave it with just "Deleted." or "Delete me." etc.  If you double post or make a redundant post, please annote the post as such but do not obliterate the original post.  Same goes for posts you delete yourselves... Leave the content intact.

We have already had to impose limits on post editing to curtail such vandalisim... yet the issue persists. 

Your openness with your edits and deletion requests is appreciated.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

If I make a post that I later decide isn't appropriate to the thread or otherwise decide to delete, why is that a problem for you?  Unfortunately, there isn't an option for members to actually delete their own posts.  I do this every now and again, but it is almost always immediately after I made the original post and realized my mistake.

I can understand why it would be sort of bad for thread continuity to delete something made some time ago though. 

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2008, 03:10:03 AM
If I make a post that I later decide isn't appropriate to the thread or otherwise decide to delete, why is that a problem for you?  Unfortunately, there isn't an option for members to actually delete their own posts.  I do this every now and again, but it is almost always immediately after I made the original post and realized my mistake.

Because you've decided to self moderate after you've clicked submit and left us with "Deleted" and removed all trace of what you actually posted... inappropriate or otherwise.

I'm asking that members own up to what they post... and just put a quick note after the original text to request deletion....  instead of removing the edit option entirely, or keeping edit logs.

Self moderate before you click submit....  Once you post it, you own it.
Mike Johnston

mynetdude

Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2008, 03:10:03 AM

Because you've decided to self moderate after you've clicked submit and left us with "Deleted" and removed all trace of what you actually posted... inappropriate or otherwise.

I'm asking that members own up to what they post... and just put a quick note after the original text to request deletion....  instead of removing the edit option entirely, or keeping edit logs.

Self moderate before you click submit....  Once you post it, you own it.

I beg to differ as well, you're right though if you're going to post inappropriate content and you know it isn't allowed or appreciated then you know better to even be posting it to begin with.

I don't see anything wrong with self editing (moderation you call it) as long as you catch the error right away, or want to add/update/change the post to reflect an actual ongoing event or whatever (as I have seen this for encampments).

Again, I don't see what the problem is editing/putting "delete me" posts on double/redundant posts you're still going to have to delete it anyhow whether there is something there or not.

As far as someone owning up to it, they ARE owning up to it by removing content that shouldn't be there NOW not later. This would be different if your inappropriate comment/thread received 10-20 replies then no I would not expect to be allowed to edit/delete my post then I'd be owning up to it another way or else.

Personally you are asking for more complication than necessary IMHO>

MIKE

Bump

Post nukers be warned, CAP Talk now has edit logging in place.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Whats an edit log?  Hasn't it always noted when someone has edited their posts?

MIKE

A copy of the post from each time it was edited is retained, allowing us to revert a post to a previous version as needed.  So... once you hit submit there is a record of that post, and each edit afterward.
Mike Johnston

VPI18

Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AMWe have already had to impose limits on post editing to curtail such vandalisim... yet the issue persists.

Sir, is it possible to enable editing in only specific boards, such as the Marketplace? In my opinion, it seems counterproductive to make multiple additional posts to indicate if an item is no longer for sale, when the post could simply be edited to place a strikethrough.

Pylon

Quote from: wilhelm147 on July 14, 2009, 06:27:36 PM
Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AMWe have already had to impose limits on post editing to curtail such vandalisim... yet the issue persists.

Sir, is it possible to enable editing in only specific boards, such as the Marketplace? In my opinion, it seems counterproductive to make multiple additional posts to indicate if an item is no longer for sale, when the post could simply be edited to place a strikethrough.

But by making a new post with a price drop or change in sale status (sold, or no longer available, for example), it brings the thread to the top of the new posts list, so people realize there's been a change of information.   It also effects a notification to those who were "watching" the thread, letting them know that new information has been added.

If you simply edit a post, those actions do not happen and people may not realize the price or sales status of the item has changed.  The current system works quite nicely, I think.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Pylon on July 14, 2009, 07:05:28 PM
But by making a new post with a price drop or change in sale status (sold, or no longer available, for example), it brings the thread to the top of the new posts list, so people realize there's been a change of information.   It also effects a notification to those who were "watching" the thread, letting them know that new information has been added.

Not to be argumentative, but edited posts pop back up as "not read" for me.  A good example is Smithsonia's posts, when he makes edits to his original prose.  Does it not work that way for everyone?

I completely understand the "don't remove all text from your post to cover your tracks" desire, but isn't the "EDIT" feature there for a reason?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

Im for it.  There have been a couple of times where someone says something completely out of line, they get checked, and you go back later and the person deleted their post because they got put in their place.  But, I dont agree with anonymous posts either.  For me its about being a big kid and thinking before you hit POST.

jimmydeanno

QuoteI dont agree with anonymous posts...

New story today about a woman who was fired from her job after her identity was outed on her personal blog.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/21/outing.anonymous.bloggers/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 14, 2009, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: Pylon on July 14, 2009, 07:05:28 PM

Not to be argumentative, but edited posts pop back up as "not read" for me.  A good example is Smithsonia's posts, when he makes edits to his original prose.  Does it not work that way for everyone?

That's not how it (appears) to work for me...

"That Others May Zoom"

piperl4

why would someone have someeone one changes their mind and want to delete sometimes things are said i  hast and after a bit the poster . I just do not see the problem

Dave

SarDragon

Quote from: piperl4 on December 18, 2009, 02:21:31 AM
why would someone have someeone one changes their mind and want to delete sometimes things are said i  hast and after a bit the poster . I just do not see the problem

Dave

Could you try that again in intelligible English? It currently has too great a resemblance to "genuine frontier gibberish" to be readable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on December 18, 2009, 02:38:13 AM
Quote from: piperl4 on December 18, 2009, 02:21:31 AM

Dave

Could you try that again in intelligible English? It currently has too great a resemblance to "genuine frontier gibberish" to be readable.

Maybe he was providing an example post in need of some self moderation after the fact?

GroundPounder73

Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AM
Please don't delete the content of your post and leave it with just "Deleted." or "Delete me." etc.  If you double post or make a redundant post, please annote the post as such but do not obliterate the original post.  Same goes for posts you delete yourselves... Leave the content intact.

We have already had to impose limits on post editing to curtail such vandalisim... yet the issue persists. 

I know Im the new guy here and just getting involved in CAP, but there is something concerning deleting posts that I havent seen anyone mention. If I post something, its is mine. That is it is my intellectual property. Intellectual property law that has evolved since the thousands of boards have cropped up show precedent that the post BELONGs to the poster and not the forum. Now I havent removed chunks or my few posts, but if I decide to do it because I believe I have made an error, or think the post is out of line or may even get me in trouble, under IP law, I ever every right to remove it or request that ti be removed and have it done. Technically under IP law as it realtes to these forums, if someone with hundreds of posts wanted them all deleted, then that is thieir right since they own what they wrote and the moderators cannot refuse to remove what does not belong to them.

Just something to think about.

Spike

^ Never heard of that before. 

Mods.....I think you need a disclaimer stating "anything posted here becomes the property of the forum owner"

PHall

Quote from: GroundPounder73 on February 03, 2010, 08:54:24 AM
Quote from: MIKE on March 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

I know Im the new guy here and just getting involved in CAP, but there is something concerning deleting posts that I havent seen anyone mention. If I post something, its is mine. That is it is my intellectual property. Intellectual property law that has evolved since the thousands of boards have cropped up show precedent that the post BELONGs to the poster and not the forum. Now I havent removed chunks or my few posts, but if I decide to do it because I believe I have made an error, or think the post is out of line or may even get me in trouble, under IP law, I ever every right to remove it or request that ti be removed and have it done. Technically under IP law as it realtes to these forums, if someone with hundreds of posts wanted them all deleted, then that is thieir right since they own what they wrote and the moderators cannot refuse to remove what does not belong to them.

Just something to think about.

You know, if you don't like the rules, you don't have to be here. But if you do choose to be here then you have to follow the rules.

Any questions?

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundPounder73 on February 03, 2010, 08:54:24 AM
I know Im the new guy here and just getting involved in CAP, but there is something concerning deleting posts that I havent seen anyone mention. If I post something, its is mine. That is it is my intellectual property. Intellectual property law that has evolved since the thousands of boards have cropped up show precedent that the post BELONGs to the poster and not the forum.

Nope.

"That Others May Zoom"