Dear Vanguard, stop selling clothes that exceed regs.

Started by Eclipse, January 16, 2019, 08:29:31 PM

Fester

Quote from: 68w20 on January 18, 2019, 01:01:01 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 17, 2019, 06:19:47 PM
^^ To be fair to the members, it's not >just< about integrity, it's also about the lack of leadership
and mentorship.

This.  The first time I took command of a Squadron, I showed up to a meeting soon after in the CFU.  One of our members, who I'd assumed met the ht/wt requirements because he was fairly tall, asked what uniform that was.

Me: It's the CFU.  Any SM can wear it, and it's specifically an option for SMs who don't meet grooming or ht/wt standards.
Them: Ht/wt standards?
Me: Yeah, it's in a chart in 39-1...[explains and shows member the chart]
Them: Why didn't anyone mention that to me during my Level 1?  I'm way out of that.

Within 2 weeks they had a CFU and wore it proudly from then on.  My [brief] experience has been that if you tell your members things respectfully and set expectations early on, they're pretty willing to meet them.  Unfortunately we have a lot of people in leadership roles who avoid setting those expectations because they're afraid to "rock the boat," even if it'd be beneficial for their personnel.

Granted, it's been a year since I took Level 1, but I'm fairly certain that it IS mentioned in Level 1.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

SarDragon

I certainly mention it when doing Summary Conversations.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TarRiverRat

I always mention it during Summary Conversations.  I explain all the different uniforms and who is or isn't allowed to wear them.  I would love to wear the blues and the ABUs, but I do not meet the standards.  I am content to wear what I am able to, but wish we had a better option for our dress version.  Kicking the dead horse again, we need a hat option that is not a ball cap and maybe a proper style coat / blouse to go with it.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Eclipse

Quote from: Fester on January 18, 2019, 03:42:52 AM
Granted, it's been a year since I took Level 1, but I'm fairly certain that it IS mentioned in Level 1.

Certainly it is, however Level 1 is not consistent.

The low range is "It's done online now, let me know when you finish it." to "ISEEYOURCAPIDCAMEINANDYOUAREAPPROVEDSOWELCOMEABOARD.ANYQUESTIONS?GOOD.IHAVETOGODODRILLSOGETSTARTEDONTHATESPLANAEPOAANDSUIPREPNICETOKNOWYOU."

Mine usually took 30 minutes to an hour.  That time pays off 10-fold in not having to repeat yourself,
not to mention properly set expectations.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

I agree 100% that VG is an enabler. There was only a handful of times when I was in the Army and Air Force that I didn't have to get taped, and my pants were a large regular, and my blouse was XL regular. There is a slim chance (see what I did there?) that anyone with a waist over 40 makes weight and they would have to be a former basketball player. They care about being our only distributor and they care about taking our money, but they don't give a crap that what they are doing might go against our regulations or violate our core values.

sunshine

I called VG. They are leftovers from the CSU days. However, they kept them on the website incase a cadet may need them since they do not have to meet weight and grooming. They do not plan on re-ordering when their stock is gone. VG said they still have 3 pairs in that size but if it's a problem they will gladly remove them from the site.

Eclipse

Quote from: sunshine on January 18, 2019, 06:05:09 PM
I called VG. They are leftovers from the CSU days. However, they kept them on the website incase a cadet may need them since they do not have to meet weight and grooming. They do not plan on re-ordering when their stock is gone. VG said they still have 3 pairs in that size but if it's a problem they will gladly remove them from the site.

Great!  Tell them NIN directed they be removed.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Cadets are not exempt from grooming standards, even if overweight.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 18, 2019, 07:01:52 PM

True, but how is that relevent to this?

If you're a big 16 or 17 year old, you might be in huge pants with short hair and no beard.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2019, 07:07:47 PM

If you're a big 16 or 17 year old, you might be in huge pants with short hair and no beard.

Um ... go back to the post (which you quoted) stating cadets don't have to meet grooming standards. Someone will read that and think it's true. Especially since it was quoted by Eclipse!

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 18, 2019, 10:19:59 PM

Um ... go back to the post (which you quoted) stating cadets don't have to meet grooming standards. Someone will read that and think it's true. Especially since it was quoted by Eclipse!

Fair point, glossed right over that.

There are far too many cadets either unaware or unconcerned about the changes when they turn 18.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2019, 11:24:00 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on January 18, 2019, 10:19:59 PM

Fair point, glossed right over that.

There are far too many cadets either unaware or unconcerned about the changes when they turn 18.
That also applies to commanders of cadets who turn 18.

Humorous case: a cadet officer, outside the h/w standards, was wearing the aviator shirt/grey pants, was complaining that many seniors did not know how to address him. Seems most seniors haven't seen a >18 yo cadet in corporates before. He was somewhat bemused, as fortunately, none of the seniors tried to take him to task for wearing blue epaulet slides on the aviator shirt.