CAP Colonel in the crowd on MSNBC

Started by Maj Ballard, January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

Maj Ballard

Did anyone else see the CAP Colonel in the inauguration crowd on MSNBC? It was during the benediction. African American fellow.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

tjaxe

Yeah, wasn't that pretty cool seeing a CAP member on National TV!   :D

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

BuckeyeDEJ

I THINK that's Col. J. Delano Ellis, a chaplain from Cleveland. Pretty sure he's also the chief chaplain for the U.S. Army Cadet Corps.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

jimmydeanno

I saw it too.  I glanced up during lunch and saw the epaulet sleeve.  Can see those things from a mile away!  YAY CAP!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 20, 2009, 05:57:03 PM
I THINK that's Col. J. Delano Ellis, a chaplain from Cleveland. Pretty sure he's also the chief chaplain for the U.S. Army Cadet Corps.

Looking for a screencap now... Anybody with a hint as to where in the benediction it was?

I know Col Ellis, so if it was him, I'll know him instantly! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Don't remember exactly when, but the camera was on him for a good 10 seconds...

EDIT:  Full frame, not just some random person in the audience. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

NIN

Nope, not COL J. Delano Ellis II, Chief of Chaplains for the US Army Cadet Corps, because in CAP, COL Ellis is Lt Col J. Delano Ellis.   

Sources report that is Col Boyd, the either current or past KS Wing Commander.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FW

Yes, the shot is of Col. George Boyd.  He was KsWG/CC unitil 2004, CAP/NC until 2005 and current Urban Affairs Officer for CAP.  A very good picture indeed.

Nathan

He couldn't make it out to one of our annual awards banquets, but he could make it to Obama's little welcome party?

Pshaw.

;D
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

jimmydeanno

A little background...

I was just told that he is a Tuskegee Airman.  I would assume that he recieved a formal invitation to the event - even awesomer! <-Yes, I know, I know...

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 20, 2009, 07:32:45 PM
A little background...

I was just told that he is a Tuskegee Airman.  I would assume that he recieved a formal invitation to the event - even awesomer! <-Yes, I know, I know...

Wasn't there a "Volunteer" magazine article about him a while back?  I seem to recall something about a Tuskegee Airman in a high-up leadership position with CAP.

Nathan

He was indeed a Tuskegee Airman. I attended a couple of lectures from him about it.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

CFI_Ed

Quote from: Nathan on January 20, 2009, 07:58:45 PM
He was indeed a Tuskegee Airman. I attended a couple of lectures from him about it.

He was the guest speaker at the NFA-OK graduation dinner last year.  Very nice guy.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Hobbsh1

Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

KyCAP

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 04:23:55 AM
Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that it is semantics of a political event (pork and bean fund raising dinner) vs. a function of government (government legislative sessions).  Otherwise, the Winter Boards would all be out of reg to visit their reps and congress people.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: KyCAP on January 21, 2009, 04:31:19 AM

I would say that it is semantics of a political event (pork and bean fund raising dinner) vs. a function of government (government legislative sessions).  Otherwise, the Winter Boards would all be out of reg to visit their reps and congress people.

Not to mention that all those members of the .mil marching around...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Cecil DP

I would consider it a civic event. The prohibition against wearing a uniform for political events is to avoid the perception that the military or CAP supports a particular candidate, party, or activity. Attending the inauguration is showing support for the President and the country. If i were a "Political event" you wouldn't have had thousands of military members of all services and components working for 6 months to support it.  
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Hobbsh1

Real military sometimes does not have a choice in the matter, I mean after all the President is the Commander in Chief.  I see the "perception" point of view and that was what I was getting at.  I try to make sure that politics is NOT brought up at our meetings for two reasons.... I'm sure no one wants to hear my political views and I don't want to hear someone else's in that setting.  Thank you for the input to my question.  :)

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

lordmonar

The Inauguration is not a political activity....it is a civic activity.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

And the military is there under orders to show fealty to the new commander-in-chief. It's fine for a CAP member to be there in an official capacity.

alamrcn

Just wanted to say that I also caught that shot. It was during the benediction at the end of the event. The Colonel was on screen long enough for me to notice and point at his gray shoulder mark and say, "Look, Civil Air Patrol!" Very cool.

Thanks for the vid cap, isn't technology cool?!

I saw a half-dozen or so men with Tuskegee Airmen baseball caps at various times throughout the ceremony, so he was maybe with that group and close to a crowd camera.

Yup, this was a good and appropriate event for members of CAP to attend in uniform. A president's funeral might be another Civic Event along the same lines.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

A.Member

Are ear muffs an authorized item for uniform wear?  ;) :P
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

Quote from: A.Member on January 21, 2009, 08:55:47 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2009, 08:54:04 PM
yes.
I was being facetious. 

On this board?!?!  You have got to put more then a couple of smiles to convey that!   ;D

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that question.

And for the cite...before anyone asks...table 2-1 line 13.

wingnut55

The man looked good in the uniform.!!!

I wish CAP could get enough Cadets to march at these things, but it sure looked cold.

I expect to see lots of changes, this administration is very keen on volunteerism and CAP volunteers do it until we bleed sometimes (financially)

Major Carrales

Ha-hum...notice he is wearing a service cap >:D 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

smj58501

Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2009, 06:04:44 AM

Indeed it is. And if we could not be there, then the USMC band should not have been playing "Hail to the Chief" either. The Military District of Washington should also have stayed at their desks. Yet, the uniformed services were proudly represented, as they should be.

It was a great thing to see our military and CAP associated with this great event. No matter how you vote, any inauguration is cause to celebrate.... our country may not always be consistent at everything we do, but we are consistent at the peaceful transfer of power. Every 4 years, we get to reaffirm that this country really is of the people, by the people, and for the people.

That is thanks to our great military. We owe them everything.

Is this a great country or what?

(OK, I am off the soapbox now)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: smj58501 on January 22, 2009, 04:27:43 AM

Indeed it is. And if we could not be there, then the USMC band should not have been playing "Hail to the Chief" either. The Military District of Washington should also have stayed at their desks. Yet, the uniformed services were proudly represented, as they should be.

It was a great thing to see our military and CAP associated with this great event. No matter how you vote, any inauguration is cause to celebrate.... our country may not always be consistent at everything we do, but we are consistent at the peaceful transfer of power. Every 4 years, we get to reaffirm that this country really is of the people, by the people, and for the people.

The fact that it could be thought that a civic function such as the event of Jan 20 was somehow an endorcement of some political agenda is a testimony to the fact that our nation is far too divided on political issues and party politics.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 05:09:57 AM
Real military sometimes does not have a choice in the matter, I mean after all the President is the Commander in Chief.  I see the "perception" point of view and that was what I was getting at.  I try to make sure that politics is NOT brought up at our meetings for two reasons.... I'm sure no one wants to hear my political views and I don't want to hear someone else's in that setting.  Thank you for the input to my question.  :)

It wasn't a political event.  It is an event required by the constitution, regardless of which party the incoming incumbent. I can't think of a more appropriate event to wear a uniform to (outside of a CAP meeting).  I can't think of another country that has a regularly scheduled (down to the day and minute) change of government. 

Gunner

CPT Anderson

Quote from: smj58501 on January 22, 2009, 04:27:43 AM

THIS IS A GREAT COUNTRY....HOOAH!!!!

Yes, this is a wonderful country! HOOAH!!!

Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)

SM-MADDOG

Quote from: Captain B on January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM
Did anyone else see the CAP Colonel in the inauguration crowd on MSNBC? It was during the benediction. African American fellow.

One of the Capt's at the squadron meeting tuesday told us about it. At President Fords funeral service CAP has some members present for it. I think one of them was a PAO and go closer than most did.
2nd Lt, CAP

SM-MADDOG

typo sorry, tired and think its time for bed lol. 3rd shift hours gotta love em. I ment to say CAP had member present for the funeral and a PAO got closer than most others during the services.
2nd Lt, CAP

CAPPAO

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on January 22, 2009, 11:35:06 AM
typo sorry, tired and think its time for bed lol. 3rd shift hours gotta love em. I ment to say CAP had member present for the funeral and a PAO got closer than most others during the services.

The story about that is here: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=EoRl1QHi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=345&p_created=1176150365&p_olh=0

md132

I remember the funeral.  It was then Capt. Steven Solomon.  At the time I believe he was either MD Wing's or MER's PAO, don't remember.  

JoeTomasone

Quote from: md132 on January 22, 2009, 11:45:42 AM
I remember the funeral.  It was then Capt. Steven Solomon.  At the time I believe he was either MD Wing's or MER's PAO, don't remember.  

He's still a Captain and is the SER PAO.   

RiverAux

The question is whether or not this was an official CAP activity -- that is what controls whether the CAP uniform can be worn.  If he was invited to the inauguration as a private individual and then decided on his own to wear the CAP uniform, it would violate CAP regulations.  If he got permission from the appropriate commander to wear his uniform for the public relations value, that would be fine. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2009, 07:33:53 PM
The question is whether or not this was an official CAP activity -- that is what controls whether the CAP uniform can be worn.  If he was invited to the inauguration as a private individual and then decided on his own to wear the CAP uniform, it would violate CAP regulations.  If he got permission from the appropriate commander to wear his uniform for the public relations value, that would be fine. 

And since any of us probably can't know whether or not he did so means any further is unbased speculation. We're all aware of the uniform regulations and how they work.   So leaving it at that, let's not engage in uninformed speculation.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Are you seriously asking this question? This wasnt apartisan event. thats what that statement means. We cant show support of a particular party. This is a function for all Americans. There is nothing political about an inauguration. its for the people oif the nation

flyguy06

Iwas at the Inauguration and it was great. I have talked to COL Boyd but have never met him. I wish I had known he was there. I didnt even know the Tuskegee Airmen were honored guests. They were part of the motorcade travelling behind the President-elect onhis way to the Inauguration. I think that was very historic and classy.

JC004

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 05:30:45 AM
Iwas at the Inauguration and it was great. I have talked to COL Boyd but have never met him. I wish I had known he was there. I didnt even know the Tuskegee Airmen were honored guests. They were part of the motorcade travelling behind the President-elect onhis way to the Inauguration. I think that was very historic and classy.

You were?  Should have told me...

flyguy06

were you there? I wish I had known. I stayed with my sister who lives in Maryland. it was cold but very enjoyable. I had on my army thermals so my body was ok, it was just my nose and cheeks that were freezing. it took five hours to get back onthe train to go home. The line alone was a 1.5 hour wait.

JC004

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 02:40:31 PM
were you there? I wish I had known. I stayed with my sister who lives in Maryland. it was cold but very enjoyable. I had on my army thermals so my body was ok, it was just my nose and cheeks that were freezing. it took five hours to get back onthe train to go home. The line alone was a 1.5 hour wait.

Was indeed.  See above photo, complete with the freezing nose and cheeks you mention.  I got there in the morning and stayed until after dark.

JohnKachenmeister

Hobbs:

You are making a good point, and that is always something to consider when dealing with politicos, but the inauguration is a public event, paid for with tax money.  Any person may, whether or not he or she voted for the new president, come to witness the swearing in.  (Although supporters and contributors get the best seats).

Attending a public event intended to elevate our sense of patriotism and appreciation of American values, is, in my humble and probably meaningless opinion, an appropriate venue for us to wear our uniforms.
Another former CAP officer

flyguy06

COL Boyd is also a Tuskegee Airmen(Not sure if he is an original one or not) and they were invited tothe ceremony. So he probably just wore his uniform.  Ithought it was cool

RickFranz

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that while in Washington DC a CAP member should wear their uniform.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

davidsinn

Quote from: RickFranz on January 24, 2009, 03:12:07 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that while in Washington DC a CAP member should wear their uniform.

I think what you read was (paraphrase)"When in DC while in uniform the uniform shall be Service Dress or equivalent."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.all CAP personnel touring Washington DC, as part of a CAP activity or
conducting CAP business in the metropolitan area,
will wear the service
uniform, civilian clothing, or the blazer and slacks or skirt combination,
and will be properly groomed. Senior members visiting the White
House, Capitol, State Department, or comparable buildings in uniform
will wear the service uniform with service coat (service dress uniform)
or blazer uniform. Cadets are not required to wear the service coat. In no
case will BDUs, flight suits, or utility uniforms be worn.
Mike Johnston

Flying Pig

Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2009, 04:18:38 PM

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.all CAP personnel touring Washington DC, as part of a CAP activity or
will wear the service

Wheeew....Thank God, for a second I thought I had to go naked!  Thanks for the clarification. ;D

DG

will wear the service

How do we define the Washington DC "metropolitan area"?

Does it include Andrews AFB?  I think not.  Or flight suits would be not worn at Andrews.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DG on January 24, 2009, 07:59:27 PM

will wear the service

How do we define the Washington DC "metropolitan area"?

Does it include Andrews AFB?  I think not.  Or flight suits would be not worn at Andrews.

The Spirit of the Regulation is that when you visit the Capitial City you demonstrate a professional, somewhat formal look. So, if you visit, oh say...the Lincoln Memorial, White House or Capitol, you wear service dress .  This is a more formal appearance as opposed to wearing a field unifrom, like BDUs or a flight suit.

There are times for Service Dress...going to DC is one of them.

No disrespect to flield uniforms, but I imagine BDU clad groups of CAP officers visiting the Jefferson Memorial might look more like a defense force or, worse, invading occupying force. Where as service dress would like like a group of persons visiting their Nation's Capital to honor the decorum of the Federal City.

I once spoke with a retired legislator that told me that he flet that testifying before a legislative body ina field uniform was risrespectful and that he once pulled aside an officer and tolf him to wear service dress the next day.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 05:24:14 AM

Are you seriously asking this question? This wasnt apartisan event. thats what that statement means. We cant show support of a particular party. This is a function for all Americans. There is nothing political about an inauguration. its for the people oif the nation

But the question was, was he out of REGS?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

lordmonar

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on January 31, 2009, 06:23:25 AM

And the answer is No...the inauguration is NOT a political event.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: lordmonar on January 31, 2009, 07:05:51 AM

Yeah but it is not a CAP event.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Major Carrales

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on January 31, 2009, 07:11:02 AM

One can secure permission from their various levels of command to wear a uniform for an event.  Representing the Civil Air Patrol at a Presidential Inauguration would me one such event.  Seeing that he is also a Colonel on the National Staff, I imagine your premise is moot.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

No, his premise is correct. Just because he is a Col on national staff doesn't mean he gets to decide what is or is not a CAP event.  I'll assume that he did get proper permision and if so was properly wearing the uniform.  No way for us to know. 

PHall

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on January 31, 2009, 07:11:02 AM

How was it not a CAP event?  Our PA folks were knocking themselves silly proclaiming how CAP was supporting the Inaugural.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: PHall on February 01, 2009, 01:15:10 AM
How was it not a CAP event?

While I'm in full support of a member wearing their uniform to an event like this (iwth proper permission, of course) - "CAP event" in my mind says an event being organized and carried out by and for the CAP.  The inauguration - to me - is simply a civic event, with CAP people (or a CAP person) in attendance.

Major Carrales

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on February 01, 2009, 01:18:41 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 01, 2009, 01:15:10 AM
How was it not a CAP event?

While I'm in full support of a member wearing their uniform to an event like this (iwth proper permission, of course) - "CAP event" in my mind says an event being organized and carried out by and for the CAP.  The inauguration - to me - is simply a civic event, with CAP people (or a CAP person) in attendance.

The Inauguration is a civic event, to which one should ask and recieve permission to attend in uniform.  I should like to see more good uniformed representation of our membership at various Civic events.

People are always complaining that CAP is "invisible" and no one "knows who we are," then, with the same type strokes, support a low profile.

At the 2007 PAO Conference then Brig Gen Amy Courter made statements supporting the more frequent public wear of CAP uniforms.  A debate then began on the regs that seemed to prevent or curtail it.

Until we can come to terms with our uniforms and the public, we will never be able to get the simple recognition that even the Boy Scouts have.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

There isn't really anything to debate -- if there is a civic event where you think CAP participation might be appropriate, ask permission and if given, go.  No big deal. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2009, 02:33:44 AM
There isn't really anything to debate -- if there is a civic event where you think CAP participation might be appropriate, ask permission and if given, go.  No big deal. 

I agree, however there seems to be some here that seem to be arguring that even that is somehow inappropriate.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Well, making the call on whether the particular event is appropriate for CAP is always going to rest with the commander and I suppose not every commander would view every event the same. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2009, 03:04:06 AM
Well, making the call on whether the particular event is appropriate for CAP is always going to rest with the commander and I suppose not every commander would view every event the same. 

Could that be addressed in CAPP 151 as for what would constitute an appropriate event?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

We've already got a listing of places where CAP uniforms cannot be worn, which seems clear-cut enough for me. 

Cecil DP

Funny, there wasn't this much comment when a member posted pictures of his wearing Mess Dress on a cruise. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Carrales

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 01, 2009, 06:11:27 PM
Funny, there wasn't this much comment when a member posted pictures of his wearing Mess Dress on a cruise. 

I must fully agree.  This is gone far enough.  The man represented CAP on likely the most watched television program for that day.  He was professional, wore his uniform well and is a living legend in aviation far beyond the CAP world.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 01, 2009, 06:35:48 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on February 01, 2009, 06:11:27 PM

I must fully agree.  This is gone far enough.  The man represented CAP on likely the most watched television program for that day.  He was professional, wore his uniform well and is a living legend in aviation far beyond the CAP world.

And who's going to tell an aviation legend, Col Boyd, that he's misrepresenting CAP? (which he wasn't)  Some folks need to get serious.  How about telling Col Feik that she can't wear all that junk on her blazer?  She's a nice lady and a aviation legend, but her uniform is a mess.  No takers? 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Gunner C on February 02, 2009, 02:44:28 AM
How about telling Col Feik that she can't wear all that junk on her blazer?  She's a nice lady and a aviation legend, but her uniform is a mess.  No takers? 

Actually there was a SM that told Mary Feik that she couldn't wear the Feik achievement ribbon on her blazer.  Apparently, she didn't earn it...  (insert eye rolling smiley here...)

"I'm sorry Mr. Armstrong, I'm not sure that you're authorized to wear the Neil Armstrong Achievement Ribbon...you actually have to earn that you know..."

I don't know about you, but my lips are sealed.   :-X

stratoflyer

What? This isn't locked yet?

Ok. Here come my 2 cents:

>:(

Ok?  Here it again.

>:(

Honestly, some people...
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

pixelwonk