Main Menu

Hurricane Gustav

Started by LtCol White, August 30, 2008, 01:43:52 AM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on September 02, 2008, 04:01:25 AM
When I took over as ES officer at my squadron I went to the Red Cross and attempted to get them to come out and hold a shelter operations course for the cadets, their parents and the seniors so we could start doing it again. They told me that they were told when they contacted our HQ (they didn't remember if it was wing or NHQ) a couple years ago they were told that they could not use us with out a MOU and pre-approval each time they opened a shelter. I understood this, but what I could not understand is why they had so much trouble getting this accomplished, they said ultimately it did not happen because of insurance and funding issues, however the ARC covers all the cost/funding and we would be covered on their insurance. Any one have any insight on this?

Well, WIWAC (mid 80s), we actually had a Red Cross shelter management course.   I guess the world got sue-happy?   At any rate, the Red Cross has scores of volunteers that come out when the fecal matter hits the fan blades and work during the day, then go home at night.   They never seem to need an MOU or liability protection with the general public....    And as a Ham Radio operator, they never seem to care either, although they are on a kick to get all hams to go through a background check now as they say they do with all volunteers - just in case we have someone who's going to steal funds like they had happen after Katrina.   

All in all, I admire the Red Cross for what they do and abhor working with them (as an organization, the individuals are great people) for various reasons that I'll keep to myself.

Eclipse

An MOU may or may not be necessary, but likely already exists at the national or state level, if they are the requesting agency to the NOC (we've done several times that way this year alone in my state), there's no issue helping them with shelters ops disaster assessment, or whatever else they need that stays within our training.

As to "prior approval", other than a mission number, which is, of course, required, there's no prior approval necessary.
And if no one is asking for money, then a "A" isn't required and it can go as a "C".

Hearsay and the lack of making the proper connections well in advance of the disaster is what stops us in our tracks.

They just have to know who to call and how to ask, but they should not be learning about CAP when you roll up to the shelter and say "...we're from the government and we're here to help!"

One of the reasons that integrated ICS is important is so that resources are checked in at high levels, maybe the ARC doesn't know what CAP is, but if we are checked in properly and the shelter asks for "x", and we're "x", we can go, whether they know us or not.

My personal experience with the ARC has been very positive - they are a bureaucracy just like us, with rules and SOPs, one thing I really respect about them is that they "expect what they expect", you either deliver or you go home, no matter what level you are helping.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sleepwalker

In Atlanta yesterday (monday) several dozen Fairfax County SAR people were "loaded for bear" at their rally point, including having several service dogs.  There were also a few FEMA and Border Patrol folks thrown in for good measure.  Of course they were headed to New Orleans.  I wished them all well.     
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Al Sayre

I've been sitting in the MS EOC for the last 3 days (still here) the weather is finally breaking enough to launch our 1st damage assessment sortie.  Reports from the coast here are mostly a water event, we're looking for flood areas...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 02, 2008, 04:30:11 PM
I've been sitting in the MS EOC for the last 3 days (still here) the weather is finally breaking enough to launch our 1st damage assessment sortie.  Reports from the coast here are mostly a water event, we're looking for flood areas...

...head South (no charge for the intel)...

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

North LA sounds like the flood event. We didn't even get any rain. Were set to start running 8 DA sorties a day, but that's on standby. I think they're flying today but that's cause it was already set to go and just verify we're good. If you need anything next door there, please let us know.

Fifinella

Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 02, 2008, 03:00:31 AM
If you (or anyone else involved in DR work) wouldn't mind writing up a little something on the experience (or even better, getting one of your senior cadets to do so), I think it would certainly help a few of our Squadrons over here to realize why they should get motivated to pass GES and get some ES quals.   Many of them don't yet get it.   May I thusly impose?   8)
Rog, I've asked one of our cadets.  Will forward upon receipt.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Eclipse

My Region is requiring daily updates on readiness and deployment availability for at least the next 30 days.

One of my units ran a deployment planning meeting last night and assigned a number of details with the assumption we'll be going "somewhere" in the next month.

We will also be releasing info to local press on the planning process as "watch this space" and general awareness mode.

If we don't go anywhere, we have still completed the mental exercise of the planning, alerted employers to our volunteer service and possibility of being needed, and ramped our personal and team gear back to alert status.

We should not squander these opportunities to leverage real-world events into training opportunities for our people and as readiness assessments for our units.

"We don't do ES" is neither acceptable in terms of CAP's overall mission, nor an excuse for not being able to participate - use this as the drumbeat to get things going - the only person who needs to be motivated, initially, is you.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shotgun

Just wanted to give everyone a little update.

Mississippi Wing is currently flying photo missions for NEMA.  Surveying different area for flooding and storm damage.

No recovery work or boots on the ground - just air missions for now.

We've been having to work around around the weather a bit which has slowed things down, but so far things are looking good. No real significant damage or flooding considering how much rain we've received and the number of tornado and flash flood warnings that have been issued

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

How does one get Recon qualified? I just finished my GES stuff with ICS 100. How would someone like me be able to help out during a situation such as a hurricane? Obviously, my squadron commander should be my main contact point...
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

JoeTomasone

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 04, 2008, 03:51:19 AM
How does one get Recon qualified? I just finished my GES stuff with ICS 100. How would someone like me be able to help out during a situation such as a hurricane? Obviously, my squadron commander should be my main contact point...

Attend the training; I don't know when the next one is being held.   Perhaps check with your Squadron's ES officer.

NEBoom

Not CAP related, but still,

The Huskers are coming!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10422379

Points of interest:
1) This is the largest deployment of NG troops from Nebraska at one time ever (peacetime or war).  At the max we had 800 in Iraq at one time, which was the largest deployment since WWII.

2) On a personal note, my son-in-law is one of the troops heading down.  He got word over the weekend, reported yesterday.

Best wishes to all of you down there for a speedy recovery.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Eclipse

The G-Man has finally crawled his way up to my AOR, bringing sporadic, heavy rains.

I was in a Pep Boys yesterday and a storm popped up out of nowhere for about 15 minutes with fire-hose like rain that made it plenty loud in the store.

I heard one guy remark "this sucks...", and thought to myself, um yeah, imagine what this would be like if it was continuous for about 12 hours with 100Mph winds.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Laplace

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2008, 04:57:57 PM
The G-Man has finally crawled his way up to my AOR, bringing sporadic, heavy rains.

I was in a Pep Boys yesterday and a storm popped up out of nowhere for about 15 minutes with fire-hose like rain that made it plenty loud in the store.

I heard one guy remark "this sucks...", and thought to myself, um yeah, imagine what this would be like if it was continuous for about 12 hours with 100Mph winds.    ;D

Welcome to my world four (?) days ago.  Baton Rouge took major hit from storm as Eye passed to our direct west.  Most of town still without power.  I just got it 3 hours ago  ;D.   My neighborhood has had a lot huge trees in it.  They are everywhere - on houses, fences, the street, cars, etc.  Most fences over 3 foot tall are gone as well as any metal garage doors.  Straight line winds were the worst I've seen, without gusts to 92 mph.  At least this bastard came during the day.  It would have been really scary at night hearing the trees crack and waiting blindly for impact.  I was very lucky, no tree to roof connections. I lost several fence sections, huge segments of roof shingles, multiple trees & tree limbs and there is foliage/limbs 2 feet deep over entire city.  Thank God for generators and helpful neighbors.  We started to clean up as soon as rain slacked.  Gas is scarce with 2.5 hour waits.  Very few grocery box stores opening with limited supplies.  Helpful neighbor drove 80 miles round trip west to Breaux Bridge to get gas for several of our generators.  Louisiana Wing is active and sharing space at airport with Army.  Not sure of our missions as I've been assisting local law enforcement in rural areas with curfew and gas line enforcement.  They are being told no power for 3 more weeks!  Is this getting much national coverage?

New Orleans got off relatively easy.  I hope this does not cause them to think twice about prior evac next time.  Hell, the Sanits are playing the Bucs on Sunday.  Anybody need tickets?  I can't go.

I think worst area was down south in the Houma area.  Have not heard much from down there.

Guard Units from various States are down helping distribute tarps, water, ice and MREs.  Great to see all the help.  I will try to get to Wing in the next day or so.  Would like to meet anyone down here if possible.

stillamarine

Try like for 3 days! I'm currently in LA working disaster security. Been a very busy few days, started in Baton Rouge Monday, to Lafeyett tuesday, thursday back to baton rouge and last night I was in Alexandria. Today I deploy to Bunkie. Damage is bad in some areas, but the people are stronge! Everyone here is awesome, I even had some crawfish etoufee the other day..mmmm...much better than MREs!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Laplace

Thanks for your help Tim.  I'm working in New Roads / Point Coupee Parish assisting local law enforcement with patrol duties.

Get some Jambalaya if possible during your stay!   ;)

Fifinella

Quote from: stillamarine on September 06, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
Try like for 3 days! I'm currently in LA working disaster security. Been a very busy few days, started in Baton Rouge Monday, to Lafeyett tuesday, thursday back to baton rouge and last night I was in Alexandria.
Shoulda stopped by LAWG Mission Base at the Million Air on England Air Park.  (No cajun food, but several CAPTalkers.)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

stillamarine

Quote from: lasupplyguy on September 06, 2008, 08:29:02 PM
Thanks for your help Tim.  I'm working in New Roads / Point Coupee Parish assisting local law enforcement with patrol duties.

Get some Jambalaya if possible during your stay!   ;)

I've been trying!! I did get some shrimp etoufee (sp) loved it after 3 straight days of MREs. Wanted to try crawfish but apparently they are out of season. :( Spent the last 3 days in Bunkie, LA. Things are starting to look promising.

If all remains the same we may demobilize wednesday and head home. Waiting to see now.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com