Main Menu

Hurricane Gustav

Started by LtCol White, August 30, 2008, 01:43:52 AM

JohnKachenmeister

Here on the East Coast of Florida we are prayin' for y'all dealing with Gustav, and we are watching Hanna.
Another former CAP officer

SJFedor

Quote from: MikeD on August 30, 2008, 04:18:06 AM
I wish you all the best of luck out there.

Are the CAP units of the region gearing up for a relief effort? 

Affirm. We're going through equipment checks and all now. SER published an alert order on tuesday or wednesday, and Tennessee's State EOC is already activated.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DNall

My guard unit is working now. It's not the part yet where I go in. They got motor pool in getting our vehicles ready to go. We're still on standby to standby.

Pumbaa

This will update automatically so you can follow the storms.

Eclipse

These guys are on the way in, and will have live video as long as their gear is working:
http://www.hurricanetrack.com

I gotta say, this is looking pretty scary, and Hanna is pulling up right behind...

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Tennessee just started recieving evacuees today from NOLA and other areas.

http://www.wsmv.com/weather/17346496/detail.html

Looks like they're trying to get this one right.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

We wish you all the best of luck out there in LA, TX and Mississippi.

Please keep us updated here in Europe..... we pray for you all out there.
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

BillB

The rain bands from Gustav are crossing south Florida now
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

I've been listening to 104.9FM via web stream:   http://www.newsradio1049fm.com/main.html

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Cuba made a slight dent, knocked it back down to a catagory 3 with winds of 120mph.

There are two more developing systems out in the Atlantic, in addition to Gustav and Hanna. I love Florida, but right now I feel like I live at the end of a bowling alley...

Eclipse

as soon as it hits the Loop Current it'll be back to at least a 4, apparently the current is not as long as it could be and that may help.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

FEMA is staging four USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) teams from California in Houston.
I suspect they will probably have company from other teams too.
Nice to know that some lessons were actually learned from Katrina.

DNall

http://www.northcom.mil/News/2008/083008G.html
QuoteU.S. Northern Command's Preparations in Anticipation of Hurricane Gustav

Aug 30 2008

PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. – U.S. Northern Command is coordinating defense support of civil authority's emergency response efforts in preparation for Hurricane Gustav's landfall in the Southern United States.

The following is a list of DoD assets and personnel that are part of U.S. Northern Command's support efforts:
NEW OPERATIONS:

* Department of Defense aeromedical evacuation capabilities to support the evacuations for up to 1,000 patients for Louisiana and up to 500 patients for Texas. The operations are planned for today and Sunday (Aug. 30-31).
    * USNORTHCOM is working with U.S. Transportation Command to provide contracted airlift to move 16,000 general population passengers and cargo. The airlift is planned to move passengers from New Orleans to Dallas-Fort Worth.
    * Designated Ft. Rucker, Ala., and Ft. Benning, Ga., as additional FEMA National Logistics Staging Areas to support forward distribution of supplies and equipment to affected areas as required.
    * Department of Defense medium and heavy lift rotary wing aircraft to conduct movement of personnel and supplies in support of disaster operations.

ONGOING OPERATIONS:

* Four Defense Coordinating Officers have been activated in support of Federal Emergency Management Regions IV and VI to provide assessment and coordination as required. DCOs work very closely with federal, state, tribal and local officials to determine what unique DoD capabilities can be brought to assist in mitigating the effects of a natural disaster.
    * Two Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officers (Region VI and Region IV) were activated to the FEMA National Response Coordination Center.
    * Designated three military installations as FEMA National Logistics Staging Areas to support forward distribution of supplies and equipment to affected areas as required (Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.; Columbus Air Force Base, Miss; and Naval Air Station Meridian, Miss.).

USNORTHCOM is closely monitoring Hurricane Gustav's progress and continues to respond to requests for DoD support in preparation for landfall.

USNORTHCOM is the joint combatant command formed in the wake of the Sept.11, 2001 terrorist attacks to provide homeland defense and defense support of civil authorities.  USNORTHCOM anticipates requests, actions and requirements to support developing situations. Its subordinate commands are Joint Forces Headquarters National Capital Region, Joint Task Force Alaska, Joint Task Force Civil Support, Joint Task Force North, and Standing Joint Force Headquarters North.

The command is responsible for the operational control of all active-duty military responses to a disaster when requested by the state and ordered by the president and the secretary of defense.

FEMA Updates:
http://www.fema.gov/emergency/reports/2008/

NWS Flood Forecast:
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/nationalfloodoutlook/

SJFedor

Us Ops type just got told to get a confirmed list of deployable aircrews for up to 96 hours by 8pm tonight. the balloon is going up.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

JoeTomasone

Despite the quote from CAP.GOV's news story, I've heard zilch here in FLWG.  The Wing Web page even says "OPS NORMAL".

Looks like we're sitting this one out?   ???

RiverAux

QuoteCapt. Steven Solomon, director of public affairs for CAP's Southeast Region, said the organization's Florida Wing also is on the move, directing its Groups 1 and 2 RECON trained members to be ready, if needed.
Not sure where you're at, but it looks like only parts of FL Wing are gearing up at the moment. 

SJFedor

Quote from: RiverAux on August 31, 2008, 10:29:27 PM
QuoteCapt. Steven Solomon, director of public affairs for CAP's Southeast Region, said the organization's Florida Wing also is on the move, directing its Groups 1 and 2 RECON trained members to be ready, if needed.
Not sure where you're at, but it looks like only parts of FL Wing are gearing up at the moment. 

They may be holding off on FL due to the fact that there's a 2nd storm coming in behind, and don't want you guys out somewhere else, and then be needed at home.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Eclipse

...and there's two more disturbances growing East of Hanna.  Its going to be a fun fall this year.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: RiverAux on August 31, 2008, 10:29:27 PM

Group 3.  What's odd is that RECON teams are usually drawn from outside the affected area, and Groups 1 and 2 (which encompass the panhandle) are in a TS warning.

Further, the FLWG web site (as I mentioned) says "Ops Normal", and there's been no emails from the WG/DOS concerning any involvement.

So I'm not sure if the good Capt. Solomon is mistaken, or if the rank and file are simply in the dark.