Main Menu

Oddball squadron names

Started by RiverAux, May 26, 2007, 04:56:29 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DrDave on May 29, 2007, 11:25:29 AM
They're one of the oldest squadrons in the Missouri Wing, if not the oldest continuously serving squadron, formed during WWII (1943, I think).

I found this one...

"Welcome to the Seacoast Composite Squadron (NH-010). Originally formed as the "Black Cat Squadron" in 1941, Seacoast Composite Squadron is the oldest continuously manned squadron in CAP"

http://nhwgcap.org/seacoast/index.htm
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Sgt. Savage

I may have issue with that. ME-058 is the former Coastal Patrol Squadron 19, Portland, ME. Ours is one of the original 21. We still use the same building, which is scheduled for demolition next year.

DrDave

Of course, when I wrote "if not the oldest continuing serving squadron", I meant in the Missouri Wing and was not presuming in all of CAP.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

mikeylikey

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on May 29, 2007, 03:53:31 PM
I may have issue with that. ME-058 is the former Coastal Patrol Squadron 19, Portland, ME. Ours is one of the original 21. We still use the same building, which is scheduled for demolition next year.

Why is it being demolsihed?  Thats history brother!
What's up monkeys?

Sgt. Savage

Why is it being demolished? It's owned by the city of Portland and they have NO soft spot for history. They want to sell it to Executive Aviation so they can build another hangar. We have been promised 3 bays in a "Condo", 2 for our aircraft and 1 to conver to squadron space. We'll see...

mikeylikey

I have seen a lot of "promises" but never any follow through.  Good Luck!
What's up monkeys?

Sgt. Savage

Thanks for the luck, we may need it. Realistically, our Wing Commander is really involved and wants to see this work. He's putting a great deal of time into finding the funding and working out the specifics of the deal. There are other "deals" available to us but, we want a home of our own and, with a 65 year lease offer, the condo situation looks like it may serve a long term purpose.

capcadet101

hey guys heres another name for a squadron the ramprats in missouri
Cadet Ryan W. DiGiuseppi
Lake St. Louis Missouri 63367
ges,set, certified

Major Carrales

How many people think a WING COMMANDER would reject any name presented by a motivated crew actually growing units in CAP?  Reg or not...we have plenty of example of unit names that break the reg.  Just a thought into the reasons why they get past...the WING GATE!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MajorChuck

Tip of 'O Mitt Sq. is in ONAWAY, near the top of  lower Michigan .( the part of Mi. that looks like a "Mitten") Hence  the name.
Maj.Chuck Cook
Commander
Blue Water Composite Squadron GLR-MI-011
GLR/DCS

alamrcn

Quote from: capcadet101 on June 18, 2007, 12:34:33 AM
hey guys heres another name for a squadron the ramprats in missouri

It's not a squadron name, but a group of members (from one unit in particular) still glowing in their roll during the 1993 (I think) flood of the Mississippi River.

Members from many wings conveyed upon an airport on Missouri and began what may still be the largest aerial disaster surveillance operation in CAP history. The Ramp Rats were a very dedicated and determined group of CAP members running the massive flightline during the ordeal.

I almost went on one of the airlifts out of Minnesota to go help, but couldn't get away from the ol' job. A few years ago, I tried to get one of the Ramp Rats patches from the unit in question for historical postarity - you know where I stand there - and was told by the glorious commander that they are only for those that were there and no one else. Well, excuuuuse me!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota