Proposal to reduce CAP death benefits

Started by RiverAux, December 20, 2011, 02:23:13 AM

RiverAux

Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 24, 2011, 11:05:00 PM
I have reliable information that National CC and Executive Director have been told about this and are addressing the issue.

I really hope that they're not depending on little old RiverAux to discover such things.  All it takes is checking the "Thomas" system every now and again and doing a search for "civil air patrol" to see what bills we're being mentioned in.  I would have thought some of our top-level legislative folks would have seen it right away. 

CAP_truth

Maybe they should cut their benefits by 75% and see how much that would save the tax payers. I don't think they would vote on that one.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAP_truth on December 26, 2011, 06:05:02 PM
Maybe they should cut their benefits by 75% and see how much that would save the tax payers. I don't think they would vote on that one.

Practically nothing, when your debt is Trillions, you don't get a balanced budget by cutting "hundreds of thousands." 

They need to look at Medicare, DoD, and Social Security.  If they eliminate every other part of government we'll still be running a deficit.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAP_truth

I'm sorry, but I am one of those people who receive those benefits and they are area that they should never cut. They could recontruct them into a better system. They need to look at the riders that are attached to each and every bill, that adds millions of dollars spent. They should adopt a one bill one topic. They should give the president a line item veto. They should stop the many give aways. They should but they won't
My 2 cents worth.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CAP_truth on December 26, 2011, 06:41:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I am one of those people who receive those benefits and they are area that they should never cut. They could recontruct them into a better system. They need to look at the riders that are attached to each and every bill, that adds millions of dollars spent. They should adopt a one bill one topic. They should give the president a line item veto. They should stop the many give aways. They should but they won't
My 2 cents worth.
Got to agree with you at this one!!!
Of course they (all of those *censored* we have in congress on both sides of the aisle) agreed to another Viet Nam type war allegedly against terrorism (invading Iraq), that was "unfunded" with no tax increase, but more tax give aways/breaks (and the countless "insiders" that made plenty of money on all those government contracts to support this war)  -- The cold war ending peace dividend evaporated quickly :(.   Of course we finally found Bin Laden living in plain view in one of our alleged allie's country that we had given countless billons of "our" hard earned dollars to combat terrorism  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Now a few more of the congressional *censored* go to cut benefits for people that get seriously injured and die in the line of duty.  Especially a 'true' volunteer such as a CAP member who isn't getting any compensation while performing the duty that gets them killed.  Pretty sad state of affairs.  Those congressional members supporting this bill should be personally ashame of what they are doing, pure and simple  >:( >:( 

Surely we are in a fiscal mess, and this is going to require EVERYONE, and EVERY program to tighten its' belt.  It also means that revenue is going to have to increase, with everyone paying their "fair share".  Of course the issue to some (or perhaps many) is there's no such thing as "fair share" IF  they have to pay more or give up something. >:(

Even from a Civil Air Patrol standpoint, is the USAF really getting it's money worth from this whole operation, or could there be more improvements to efficiency/effectiveness and perhaps even cut some programs back ??? ??? 
RM     

lordmonar

The USAF is certainly getting their money's worth from CAP......just the savings that they get from their inland SAR budget...they also get a CP and AE program!

From my point of view.....the 8 1/3 % reduction in death benifits is not going to stop me from volunteering to CAP.

But from the Federal Government's point of view.....that less then 9% saveings will save millions each year and may save the USPS.

I agree that Congress is NOT doing their job........and if they were any other government employee they would all have been fired.

Okay....end of my political argument.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2011, 01:22:30 AM
From my point of view.....the 8 1/3 % reduction in death benifits is not going to stop me from volunteering to CAP.

Agreed...After all it doesn't impact me either way...If I needed this benefit...I'd be dead. This is only really a benefit to my widow and kids... if I'm dead they are on their own.

Wait a minute....that doesn't seem right

RiverAux

Anyone working for the federal government, whether civilian, military, or volunteer, should be eligible for the same death benefits. 

titanII

the 8 1/3 % reduction in death benifits is not going to stop me from volunteering to CAP.
+1
not that I'm ever in any danger, though..
No longer active on CAP talk

SarDragon

These are two year old data, but the principle remains the same.

Obama Budget Cuts Visualization

There are more videos from the same person on YouTube. Search for "10000 pennies".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

Well that just about $3.5K reduction of non taxable payout.  That would likely cover cremation and buying a nice urn for the ashes, probably pay for part of the funeral also.

Hey, may CAP Inc, with its' unqualified audited financial statements, could find a sponsor to make up the difference ??? :angel:  Maybe CAP could just fund it out of our corporate funds ???  Maybe just jack up the price for those Wreaths for the "Wreaths Across America" program and throw it into a fund at National HQ ::)

When someone dies in a tragic unexpected accident, normally the family/survivors needs all the money they can possibly get to tie up loose ends that likely existed, because many folks don't have a good plan in effect if they meet their demise unexpectedly (e.g. the plan never got finished prior to their untimely death) :( :'(   
RM

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on December 27, 2011, 02:33:37 AM
Anyone working for the federal government, whether civilian, military, or volunteer, should be eligible for the same death benefits.
Well....they are to a point.

The military has a different set of benifits....and this legislation will affect all the government employees covered by FECA....including CAP on AFAM.

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 27, 2011, 05:05:35 AM

Well that just about $3.5K reduction of non taxable payout.  That would likely cover cremation and buying a nice urn for the ashes, probably pay for part of the funeral also.

Hey, may CAP Inc, with its' unqualified audited financial statements, could find a sponsor to make up the difference ??? :angel:  Maybe CAP could just fund it out of our corporate funds ???  Maybe just jack up the price for those Wreaths for the "Wreaths Across America" program and throw it into a fund at National HQ ::)

When someone dies in a tragic unexpected accident, normally the family/survivors needs all the money they can possibly get to tie up loose ends that likely existed, because many folks don't have a good plan in effect if they meet their demise unexpectedly (e.g. the plan never got finished prior to their untimely death) :( :'(   
RM
I don't disagree.
Currently your widow will get a monthly paycheck for $1731 for life or remarries.
If you have kids it is %45 + 15% per kid up to 75% or $2597/month
Add to that you get $800 for funeral expenses.

All of this is above and beyond any other insurance or death benifits the member may have outside of CAP.

So....anyone trying to say this is screwing CAP....I think is a little out of line.

ZigZag911

I agree that Congress is NOT doing their job........and if they were any other government employee they would all have been fired.

What a shame we can't vote them all out at once!

Oh, wait, we could...at least the House of Representatives!

I'd love to see a grassroots movement -- vote out all the incumbents (and if the new bunch doesn't get things done, in two years "fire" them, too!)

RiverAux

Hmm, the "Thomas" system you use for searching for pending federal legislation no longer comes up with this bill when you do a search on civil air patrol.  I searched it out the hard way and confirmed that the proposal is still part of the bill so it hasn't been amended.  Wonder what was going on.  If the search function is this bad no wonder it could easily be missed. 

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on December 28, 2011, 10:38:51 PM
Hmm, the "Thomas" system you use for searching for pending federal legislation no longer comes up with this bill when you do a search on civil air patrol.  I searched it out the hard way and confirmed that the proposal is still part of the bill so it hasn't been amended.  Wonder what was going on.  If the search function is this bad no wonder it could easily be missed.
The bill has been through markup in the Senate Homeland Security Committee and they have reported back with an amendment "in the nature of a substitute", which means (effectively), the original bill doesn't exist anymore, but I can't find the text of the substitute amendment.

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.112s1789

RRLE

Based on the subjects covered by the original bill S.1853  Postal Service Protection Act of 2011 introduced the day after the original bill was sent back to committee and referred to the same committee and/or S.2014 : Postal Investment Act of 2011 introduced 12/16/2011 and referred to the same committe may be the substitutes.

Johnny Yuma

Kansas Wing has had 2 incidents that have proven to me that the death/injury benefits are worth the paper they're printed on.

First one was a Senior member who broke his leg on an ELT mission, slipped on ice getting out of the vehicle and it snapped. Payment on all the bills took years and they found out the hard way that unless you're permanently disabled or killed there are no worker's compensation benefits.

I'd tell you that if you're injured on a mission, you'd be better off to die, however one of our own did just that while on a mission in a vehicle accident. It appears that the Department of Labor is the final arbiter on who gets benefits and per the law there is no appeal or recourse if they deny benefits. Well guess what they did? >:( Widow got the $10K that CAP, Inc. gives and that didn't cover the funeral.

I cannot believe that a Federal corporation with 60,000 members and a multimillion dollar budget cannot provide some sort of group death and injury plan to cover members on missions and activities. I work with other volunteer groups that do far more hazardous activities on a much smaller scope and have coverage. If you don't have good health insurance and disability insurance on your own, I would reconsider doing any ES activity for CAP. The only reason why I continue to do so is I have good health benefits through my work as well as 2 separate disability plans. Otherwise my 101 card would have been shredded by now.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

RiverAux

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 29, 2012, 10:52:41 PM
Kansas Wing has had 2 incidents that have proven to me that the death/injury benefits are worth the paper they're printed on.
From the rest of your post, I assume you meant that they are NOT worth the paper they're printed on.

Ned

Remind me again, is there any part of CAP that you actually enjoy and share good news about?

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 29, 2012, 10:52:41 PM
[Blah blah blah]unless you're permanently disabled or killed there are no worker's compensation benefits.

Before putting this kind of stuff out, please consider actually reading the regulations, starting with CAPR 900-5

First, as most CAP members already know, we are only eligible for FECA coverage on AFAM.  And by law, the coverage is based on GS-9, step one, which is currently $41,563 annualy.  In the event of permanent disability, CAP members receive a tax-free pension equalling 66% of the GS 9 amount, which is a little over $27,000 a year. 

Second, Uncle Sam will indeed pay for temporary disability, incurred on AFAM but it is probably not enough to replace civilian income for most members.  For temporary disability, Uncle Sam starts with the same amount as permanent disability, but is reduced by the amount a member can earn after the start of the temporary disability.  IOW, after you become partially disabled, if you could still earn $27k per year, you cannot receive temporary disability payments under FECA.

Quote[blah blah blah]  It appears that the Department of Labor is the final arbiter on who gets benefits and per the law there is no appeal or recourse if they deny benefits.

Yup, kinda like every other person covered by FECA.  The whole point of workers compensation laws is to provide benefits outside of the court system and the attendant litigation, appeals, lawyers fees, delays, etc..

QuoteIf you don't have good health insurance and disability insurance on your own, I would reconsider doing any ES activity for CAP.

I actually agree with you here.  Everybody should have adequate health and disability insurance to provide for themselves and their families in the event of illness, death, or disability.  And that applies whether or not you volunteer for CAP or any other worthwhile organization.