Main Menu

Masons in CAP

Started by CadetProgramGuy, May 08, 2010, 01:43:17 AM

CadetProgramGuy

DBlair and I were in a PM and I was wondering if there were any other Masons in CAP or more specifically CAPTalk.

Thanks!!

CPG

DrJbdm

Eclipse

Probably at the weekly meeting, so would have to respond later...

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

mynetdude

Are Masons useful? My last name is Mason, good enough  :-\

FW

I know quite a few members of the fraternity in CAP.  Many of them are or were on the NB.  I would guesstimate quite a few hundred  of  "us" masons nation wide are also in CAP.  Obviously, we have infiltrated CT as well. ;D

Eagle400

[Redacted]

Sorry; didn't factor in the full context. 

CadetProgramGuy

I greet you Brothers!!

Short Field

Oh God, now in addition to uniforms, we can have discussions on if your ring should have the point of the compass pointing to your fingernail or to your elbow...

:D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Dad2-4

+1
I also know a SM who was also a cadet and who is a PM of his lodge.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Short Field on May 08, 2010, 05:50:08 AM
Oh God, now in addition to uniforms, we can have discussions on if your ring should have the point of the compass pointing to your fingernail or to your elbow...

:D

Fingernail......

Somthing to add since I started this.  I was only wondering if we Masons were involved in CAP, and in what capacity.  Thats all, nothing more, nothing less.

BTW....No proposing of uniforms to include the aprons......:)

AlphaSigOU

Triune Lodge No. 15, AF&AM, San Antonio, Texas (mother lodge)
Will Rogers Lodge No. 53 AF&AM, Claremore, Oklahoma (dual and perpetual member)*
Amistad Chapter No. 1115 OES, San Antonio, Texas
Templar Chapter No. 374 OES, Dallas, Texas
Past Patron, Plano Chapter No. 703 OES, Plano, Texas

* yes, it's Brother Will's mother lodge - we have his original petition displayed in the lodge.

There's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to wear a Masonic ring; many (including myself) prefer to wear the ring with the points of the Square and Compasses outward.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mynetdude

Can I ask what the point of a Mason is?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: mynetdude on May 08, 2010, 06:40:48 PM
Can I ask what the point of a Mason is?

We're just sharing our experience - several CTers are also members of the world's oldest fraternity.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NBB0058

Let's form our own secret cap/masonic fraternity and have an even more select inner sanctum organization..  One of our perceived goals will be to take over cap and rule the air force..

Major Lord

Masons (Freemasons) are a fraternal organization ( or secret society, depending on your historical perspective) that originated from hazy beginnings in the 16-17th centuries. They have a central metaphysical belief charter, but there are a number of different orders or "rites" with varying levels,  of membership. Their history is very fascinating, and many of America's founding fathers were masons, and their symbols and symbolism pervades every aspect of American life from out money design to out national architecture. Much of there metaphorical imagery concerns actual bricklaying, or masonry. They have a lot of spin-off groups you have probably heard of, like the Shriners and their hospitals. They tend to like funny hats, and had issues with the Catholic Church, which responded by creating its own secret society of men who like to wear funny hats, and banned Catholics from becoming Masons. They have a lot in common with CAP: They do public service and really like funny hats and incomprehensible regulations. Unlike CAP, they have tens of different levels of grade, or "degrees" depending somewhat on their particular rite.

Major Lord
(Not a Mason)
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

AirAux

One of the purposes of the Mason's is to make a good man better..

Outrider

LTC Larry Adair CA-034 and myself are both Masons in CA.

Robert Nield, Capt
Director. CAWG Counter Drug Operations
CA-001
MP/Examiner
Retired USAF/Peace Officer

mynetdude

MJ (Major Lord)

That is one heck of an awesome explanation, I did a little research in the FreeMasons, your explanation coupled with CAP comparison makes it all better :).

I like public service, though I am sure the Masons are more involving than that.  I'd ask how one can inquire about joining the Masons but this is CT so I'll stop here.

RRLE

QuoteI'd ask how one can inquire about joining the Masons but this is CT so I'll stop here

At one time you could not apply to be a Mason, you had to be invited to membership by an existing Mason. I have no idea if that is still their policy.

For the historians among us, if you research Masons also research the Anti-Masonic Party founded in NYS in 1828. The Masons might be the only private club that ever had a formal opposition political party that fielded candidates for political office. I have no idea if the anti-Masons like funny hats or regular hats.