How tough is tough?

Started by stratoflyer, July 04, 2008, 05:23:10 AM

stratoflyer

QuoteToo many seniors treat our cadets like they were some sort of IED; waiting to explode and engulf some innocent senior in endless and costly litigation.
That's a serious disservice to our cadets and an indication that the senior might be more comfortable working primarily in ES or AE.

Like I said, it was the reason why I wanted opinions on this matter.

As far as what I said earlier, it was more from my experience in the teaching field. I work at a private school as well as a private school and some of the things I've seen and the stories I've heard, they just make me want to be doubly careful with youth. I'm very young myself and sometimes works against me as people sometimes think I am too inexperienced. Again, when I wrote that, I was mainly thinking on a broader aspect.

I am glad to know that our Cadets can handle and even desire many challenges and training.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: phirons on September 10, 2008, 06:39:56 PM
I stand corrected.

From CAPP 50-3
QuoteGenerally, this means that a minimum of two senior members will be present when appropriate and feasible.

This does give some leeway. 
Especially in a discipline situation I would not put myself alone with a cadet. I've done quite a few Level I trainings and have always said avoid a cadet said / you said situation, by having min groups of 3.

Note that the citation you provided is from a pamphlet, not a regulation. Pamphlets are kinda "how-to's" and "best practices", whereas regulations are "regulatory".

But, of course, it's always good to not try and get yourself in any form of compromising situation.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)