honor gaurd

Started by cadet zimmerman, May 12, 2008, 07:05:02 PM

Flying Pig

^ I agree.  For a CAP member, sure.  For a vet who just has nobody, no family etc. and CAP is requested, I could see that.  But providing funeral service as a common practice, Im not for that.  At least where I am, many of the veterans organizations, VFW and American Legions provide a lot of the service.  I know they can be thin, or non existent in many places, but again, I don't think CAP needs to be in the business of providing military funerals.

There are MANY angles the military has.  The funeral I was in as a Marine was literally the 1st Sgt. walking through the barracks asking for volunteers to do a funeral detail a couple days later for a former Marine who had been killed in a car accident.  Several volunteered, and we spent the next day practicing for it.  6 casket bearers and a firing party.  We drove 2 hours to the location, and made it happen.  Where it can get dicy is when you far from a base.  When the military gets short is for vets.  For active duty members, there will be a military detail.

stillamarine

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 22, 2008, 05:28:59 PM
  At least where I am, many of the veterans organizations, VFW and American Legions provide a lot of the service. 

Years ago I went to a relatives funeral who had served 28 years in the Marine Corps. He lived in an area where there was no military presence.

The VFW provided a funeral detail and firing squad.

I believe the youngest member was about 75. There was no pop and snap, no sharpness, and it just plain looked bad. When the firing squad fired I thought one of them had a heart attack. They all wore varying stages of uniforms (looked like a CAP meeting :) ).

At the time I told my wife to never to allow that to happen at my funeral. I would be carried by a Marine Corps detail.  I have since changed that and told her that I want my pallbearers to be made up of half Marines and half Civil Air Patrol.

**disclaimer** This is in no way a dis on veterans. I am one and am proud of it, but I would rather be taken to my final resting spot in style, and not by someone who may be joining me in a few days. **disclaimer**
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

afgeo4

Not for nothing, but I'd like to find out how many military funerals Mr. Jimmydeano had attended.
GEORGE LURYE

Timothy

I commanded burial detail as an AFJROTC cadet at about 25+ funerals while in high school, at Riverside National Cemetery here in California. We were a recognized official cemetery team, and did 2-4 funerals a day, one day a month for about a year and a half. 

As mentioned previously, we did not provide the whole team... we worked as the pallbearing detail and trumpeter... sometimes a local veterans team provided the firing detail; sometimes there wasn't one. Coffin weight was not an issue; cemetery rules forbade anyone from carrying the casket... there was a chrome ceremonial "casket cart" that the team wheeled to the shelter.

When I graduated HS I put a team together at my new college ROTC unit and we worked as a firing detail attached to other pallbearer teams.

In both cases we never received anything but compliments and I was very honored to give that flag, and say those words. All this was back in 1997-98, and then 1998-2000, so i don't know if things have changed since then. We also weren't 14, we were a team comprised of mostly seniors and practiced constantly. I'll also note that these were "routine" burials and consisted mostly of deceased veterans of the Second, Korean, and Vietnam wars. We would never have done services for anyone in active or reserve duty.

Edit: Comments above aren't really meant to state either way about using cadets as HG, just my experience as one. I jumped at the chance and I will never forget it.
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 23, 2008, 10:43:13 PM
Not for nothing, but I'd like to find out how many military funerals Mr. Jimmydeano had attended.

7 more than I would have liked to have gone to.

One for my Stepfather (Navy - veteran).
One for a member of my squadron (Army - retired).
One for a close family friend (Army - retired).
One for a friend's grandfather (Air Force - retired).
One for my grandfather on my father's side (Army - veteran)
One for a family friend (Air Force -veteran)
One for a member of my current squadron (Coast Guard - retired).

As for my wife, she has gone to the 7 above and served on the HG for 48 of them.  She agrees with me about the no cadets thing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

afgeo4

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 26, 2008, 03:23:18 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on May 23, 2008, 10:43:13 PM

7 more than I would have liked to have gone to.

One for my Stepfather (Navy - veteran).
One for a member of my squadron (Army - retired).
One for a close family friend (Army - retired).
One for a friend's grandfather (Air Force - retired).
One for my grandfather on my father's side (Army - veteran)
One for a family friend (Air Force -veteran)
One for a member of my current squadron (Coast Guard - retired).

As for my wife, she has gone to the 7 above and served on the HG for 48 of them.  She agrees with me about the no cadets thing.

Well... I happen to live in a neighborhood that's rich with veterans and recently one of my neighbors passed away. He was a Korean War vet. Air Force. I spoke to his wife outside last week about it. She was upset because no one showed up to do the honors. The VA said they couldn't get a detail because there's a shortage.

I didn't know what to say to that. Maybe I'll have her write you and your wife asking for an explanation. You guys seem to have a better grasp of things, given your experience and all.
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

Somehow I knew it was going to be one of those responses.

But either way, I don't know as though she'd be happy with a group of 13 year olds doing either.  To each their own I guess.

Perhaps when I get "old and wise" my perception will change, but I doubt it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

If they're on a Honor Guard they should be older then 13 and they'd need to be strong enough to carry a casket so I don't think it would look like a bunch of little kids were the ones doing it.

afgeo4

Quote from: NCO forever on May 29, 2008, 03:26:31 PM
If they're on a Honor Guard they should be older then 13 and they'd need to be strong enough to carry a casket so I don't think it would look like a bunch of little kids were the ones doing it.
Agreed, I believe most of the cadets who'd be able to pull off Honor Guard details would be about 17 years old and above.

That's over the enlistment age for the military, so it wouldn't look odd at all. Most young men and women in the military Honor Guard are E-2 through E-5 anyway. Probably 18-22 years old.
GEORGE LURYE

CAP006

Quote from: JThemann on May 15, 2008, 08:01:00 PM
Quote from: cadet zimmerman on May 15, 2008, 07:52:30 PM
thanks all this helps but all we really need is the uniforms them selfs like the shirts jackets and all that

First dude, there's something called capitalization. Comma's are nice to.

Second. Why don't your cadets already have the short sleeve service uniform national issues?

Third. Try local Air Force JROTC units. Try local AFROTC units.

Yeah?  If national issues them, why dont your cadets have them?  Thats just insane
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

DC

Quote from: CAP006 on June 07, 2008, 12:45:37 AM
thanks all this helps but all we really need is the uniforms them selfs like the shirts jackets and all that

Second. Why don't your cadets already have the short sleeve service uniform national issues?

Yeah?  If national issues them, why dont your cadets have them?  Thats just insane
You are aware of the Free Cadet Uniform program, that provides blues pants, a short sleeved shirt, a flight cap, and a belt to new cadets for free?

afgeo4

Quote from: DC on June 07, 2008, 12:55:03 AM

You are aware of the Free Cadet Uniform program, that provides blues pants, a short sleeved shirt, a flight cap, and a belt to new cadets for free?
AAFES doesn't issue the rest of the Honor Guard uniform which would be a large expense. The cadet specified service coats as one of the requirements (and it is for honor guard). Other things like service caps, white gloves and ascots aren't issued either. Also, all uniform items must be of high quality, fit and condition to be on Honor Guard and all must be exactly the same. That is no mix/matching of old/new service coats, all same shade of pants (matching the coat), and all same version of low quarters (no mix/matching leather with corofam).
GEORGE LURYE

DC

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 07, 2008, 05:28:49 AM
Quote from: DC on June 07, 2008, 12:55:03 AM

AAFES doesn't issue the rest of the Honor Guard uniform which would be a large expense. The cadet specified service coats as one of the requirements (and it is for honor guard). Other things like service caps, white gloves and ascots aren't issued either. Also, all uniform items must be of high quality, fit and condition to be on Honor Guard and all must be exactly the same. That is no mix/matching of old/new service coats, all same shade of pants (matching the coat), and all same version of low quarters (no mix/matching leather with corofam).
If you take a look at 39-1 there is an Honor Guard uniform option without the service coat, and the service cap can be had for $10 brand new on eBay. The equipment is going to be expensive no matter what, but the uniform can be put together pretty cheap if you look hard enough.