Online Cadet Promotions Program now available in eServices

Started by captrncap, March 11, 2008, 02:17:10 AM

Tim Medeiros

I would strongly recommend reporting that issue to the Help Desk.  Did you do this via Administration module or Data-Entry module?  That may be a factor.  It should be noted that according to page 28 of CAPR 52-16 (as well as 2-5.g of the same reg) there isn't a ML requirement for the WB.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

ADCAPer

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 24, 2008, 05:02:15 AM
Oh please spare me this. 

Well, the statement I was referring to was when you said that "Until then, what would you have use do?  We go with what exists and don't long for speculative "better ways."  (and I assume that you are in the camp that believes Billy Mitchell did more harm than good through his antics. That's subject to a lot of debate, but overall I'd say his "speculation" was eventually proven right, even though he got his point across the wrong way)

So what's wrong with a little speculating? It sounds like there are people on here commenting on this topic who have some valid points. Now if you're comfortable sitting back and going with the flow, that's fine. But you need to learn to accept the fact that everyone isn't content to just sit there and accept things that just aren't working right, and they are just as entitled to their thoughts, comment and opinions as you are. The fact that National cranks out a program doesn't automatically mean that it's the best way to do things. And who cares if it can be used from any internet capable computer in the world if you're in a unit that doesn't even have internet service?

From what I can tell, your premise is that as long as you agree with everything National does, and you want to sing their praises here then that's okay, otherwise, it's best to just set back and keep quiet.  Give me a break, there's nothing wrong with people coming here to complain.

Galahad

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on March 25, 2008, 04:56:08 PM
I would strongly recommend reporting that issue to the Help Desk.  Did you do this via Administration module or Data-Entry module?  That may be a factor.  It should be noted that according to page 28 of CAPR 52-16 (as well as 2-5.g of the same reg) there isn't a ML requirement for the WB.

Thank you Capt.  You are absolutely correct. ML attendance is not required for the milestone awards. All of my cadets up for milestone awards get ML automatically because the time-in-grade requirement combined with active participation causes them to attend one or more ML sessions. But upon inspection, the reg does not require ML for the milestone awards, nor does the SIMS promotion module.  So the only issue is the time-in-grade check.

The WB promotion I referenced was completed through the regular data entry module. I had updated the cadet's records through the Feik using the Admin module, then switched over to the data module to enter the WB award data.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ADCAPer on March 26, 2008, 03:44:14 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 24, 2008, 05:02:15 AM
Oh please spare me this. 

Well, the statement I was referring to was when you said that "Until then, what would you have use do?  We go with what exists and don't long for speculative "better ways."  (and I assume that you are in the camp that believes Billy Mitchell did more harm than good through his antics. That's subject to a lot of debate, but overall I'd say his "speculation" was eventually proven right, even though he got his point across the wrong way)

So what's wrong with a little speculating? It sounds like there are people on here commenting on this topic who have some valid points. Now if you're comfortable sitting back and going with the flow, that's fine. But you need to learn to accept the fact that everyone isn't content to just sit there and accept things that just aren't working right, and they are just as entitled to their thoughts, comment and opinions as you are. The fact that National cranks out a program doesn't automatically mean that it's the best way to do things. And who cares if it can be used from any internet capable computer in the world if you're in a unit that doesn't even have internet service?

From what I can tell, your premise is that as long as you agree with everything National does, and you want to sing their praises here then that's okay, otherwise, it's best to just set back and keep quiet.  Give me a break, there's nothing wrong with people coming here to complain.

Bravo, "spoken" with the same logic and grace as Lee J. Cobb's character at the end of the film "12 Angry Men."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ADCAPer

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 01, 2008, 02:59:33 AM
Bravo, "spoken" with the same logic and grace as Lee J. Cobb's character at the end of the film "12 Angry Men."

WHAT! I am so offended!

Well, actually I'm not, it's hard to be offended by someone who's  level of initiative  is limited to advising others not to "fight" anything that they personally support. 

JayT

Quote from: ADCAPer on April 03, 2008, 10:13:22 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 01, 2008, 02:59:33 AM

WHAT! I am so offended!

Well, actually I'm not, it's hard to be offended by someone who's  level of initiative  is limited to advising others not to "fight" anything that they personally support. 

What? Was that an dig at him?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jeders

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems accessing cadets in their unit recently.

I tried to go into the records of one of my cadets to enter some info, and it said that the selected member was not a cadet. It would let me select any of the other cadets, but not that one that I needed to access. The only difference between him and the other cadets is that right now he is the only one that has completed the Curry achievement.

Has anyone had any problems like this? Any ideas?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BlackKnight

^ It doesn't sound like the problem you're having, but on April 1st I was able to confirm my suspicion that if a cadet's membership expires so does the squadron's access to his on-line promotion records.  Definitely makes you want to go back to the CAPF-66.  At least it doesn't have disappearing ink.  :)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Tim Medeiros

If I recall correctly, the information is still kept on file in the database, just no need to list non-members.
1577/2811

Tubacap

My realistic eutopia has the CAPWatch download with all the cadet achievements, so the majority of data entry is done there, but then can be stored in SIMS so that it is part of the unit "Permanent Record".

BlackKnight, when the cadet renewed, did the information come back online?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Major Carrales

Quote from: BlackKnight on April 17, 2008, 03:15:17 AM
^ It doesn't sound like the problem you're having, but on April 1st I was able to confirm my suspicion that if a cadet's membership expires so does the squadron's access to his on-line promotion records.  Definitely makes you want to go back to the CAPF-66.  At least it doesn't have disappearing ink.  :)

Paper records must still be kept for just such occasion.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Tim Medeiros

One thing you could do to aid that is print out the member search report after each month and/or promotion.
1577/2811

BlackKnight

Quote from: Tubacap on April 17, 2008, 09:24:56 PM
My realistic eutopia has the CAPWatch download with all the cadet achievements, so the majority of data entry is done there, but then can be stored in SIMS so that it is part of the unit "Permanent Record".

BlackKnight, when the cadet renewed, did the information come back online?

In this particular case the cadet chose not to renew (reasons unrelated to CAP).  I expect the info would have been instantly available as soon as the renewal was completed.   

It's only a minor irritant, and yet another example of why we use SIMS for our permanent records.  I just think it odd that they programed the online promotions module so that the cadet records are instantly unavailable upon membership expiration instead of making them accessible during the 90-day grace period.  It's another clue that the developers perhaps don't yet completely understand how we'll be using this data in the field.

I had actually predicted this would be a problem before the online promotion module came out. Thus I was watching to see what would happen when a cadet's membership expired. I had sent my review comments on the white paper proposal through the requested review channels, but who knows whether my comments ever made it to NHQ. 
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: BlackKnight on April 20, 2008, 11:07:15 PMI just think it odd that they programed the online promotions module so that the cadet records are instantly unavailable upon membership expiration instead of making them accessible during the 90-day grace period.  It's another clue that the developers perhaps don't yet completely understand how we'll be using this data in the field.
If you look, the entire cadet record becomes non-viewable to non-employees upon membership non-renewal, this applies to seniors as well, and every other membership type.  The system only shows a member status of "ACTIVE".  Its not a matter of the restricted application weeding it out, its the database itself. 

Maybe you could send a request up to the eServices help desk about making a report in the Cadet Promotions Restricted Application to show the promotion records of 90 expired cadets, they may or may not go with it depending on what their superiors say. 

The Help Desk is one of the few, but better, ways that those in the field can express to the developers directly what is needed.  I personally have made use of it 27 separate times over the last year, they have always been courteous and approachable, just give them the reasoning and they'll either ask for more info or if it requires approval they'll send it up their chain to get approval to work on it, otherwise they'll give you a response of whether or not they'll be able to work on it generally within a few working days.  Of course, as always your experience may vary depending on who is assigned your question, my stuff always seems to be assigned to 1 person.
1577/2811

Moonfly

Anyone have good info/experience with this new program?  I've only been with CAP 7 months.  Some of the cadets in the squadron use E-service to check their progress, and are disappointed their info is not kept current.  I'm told progress is tracked on paper, and that using E-service is too difficult.

Is National really committed to this new process?  Are we, as a squadron, behind the curve?

Thanks
Capt. Tim Kerfoot
Bound to change, or
bound to chains

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Moonfly on October 23, 2008, 02:37:27 AM
Anyone have good info/experience with this new program?  I've only been with CAP 7 months.  Some of the cadets in the squadron use E-service to check their progress, and are disappointed their info is not kept current.  I'm told progress is tracked on paper, and that using E-service is too difficult.

Is National really committed to this new process?  Are we, as a squadron, behind the curve?

Thanks

The online promotions work great for our squadron.  We recently had a Mitchell recipient and within a few days her certificate arrived without having to mail anything to NHQ.  It is an easy to use process and with online testing (hopefully) rolling out shortly it will make tracking progress that much easier.

There is some initial legwork that needs to be done to get everyone up to speed, but once it is caught up it is extrememly easy and quick to use. 

I helped with some of the beta testing before it rolled out and was pleased to see that it has been adopted rather enthusiastically.  I hope that your squadron opts to utilize this program.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

I have 2 squadrons that are using this program (out of 4).  The 2 that are using it only complain that it takes more time then paper. BUT, there have been a few transfer's and this has proven an invaluable tool for this process.

You will get frustrated with this system when you attempt to input up to several years worth of achievements but once the program is current you will quickly learn to love it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4