Online Cadet Promotions Program now available in eServices

Started by captrncap, March 11, 2008, 02:17:10 AM

captrncap

Just saw this in Restricted Application.

Does anyone know how this will help?

Why did NHQ develop this?

CASH172

jeders

It's just another tool in our toolbox.

The interesting thing though is that they updated this app twice within about a 15 minute period to work out some bugs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BlackKnight

Quote from: captrncap on March 11, 2008, 02:17:10 AM
Just saw this in Restricted Application.

Does anyone know how this will help?

Why did NHQ develop this?

The on-line cadet promotions application is a necessary prerequisite for on-line leadership and AE testing.

I took a look at the application and (IMHO) it's at best tedious and awkward.  Give it an "A" for attempting to meet the need, but a "D" for human factors usability and I/T efficiency.

We use SIMS and it takes only a few minutes to update cadet testing and promotion records for 30+ cadets. This thing is going to take hours to enter data on testing or PT night for a squadron with a large cadet population.  SIMS has a wonderful spreadsheet style data entry chart that is a much better fit to how we actually use and record the data in a squadron environment.  With that model readily available, why did NHQ reinvent the wheel and make it square instead of round?  I dread having to wait for the screens to refresh for each cadet as several hundred squadrons across the country are simultaneously trying to enter data into this module on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the most common meeting nights.

If they get a SIMS interface going, or they redesign the input screens so that it won't waste any more of my time waiting for the NHQ server to get around to "serving" my mouse click (can you tell I'm a frustrated MIMS and e-services user?) I'll be happy to use it.  But right now it's DOA compared to our current in-house squadron information management tools.

And yes, I sent similar written comments up my chain of command when this thing was first announced. I doubt that anyone at wing HQ forwarded them up to region or NHQ since no one above squadron level is going to have to deal with cadet on-line testing or on-line promotions on a daily basis. The instructions to the DCCs in my wing were clear. All comments had to be sent to the wing DCP. No direct feedback to NHQ was permitted.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

captrncap

Quote from: CASH172 on March 11, 2008, 02:24:41 AM
Look at the attachment.

Thank you. I never got an email or anything about this memo.

Where did you get it - if I might ask?

CASH172

My SQDN/CC.  I have no idea where he got it from.  I myself couldn't find it on the NHQ page with a quick search. 

captrncap

Quote from: CASH172 on March 11, 2008, 03:14:29 AM
My SQDN/CC.  I have no idea where he got it from.  I myself couldn't find it on the NHQ page with a quick search. 

I would guess that it would be another missing communication from NHQ to Squadrons , since I am a Sq/CC and didn't get this.

mikeylikey

Mikey likes it!  Just imagine, no more annoying last minute faxes or mailings to NHQ to process Mitchell awards.  I can track everything now instead of on that green master record.  Then I Can print it out to place in the cadet file as a "hard copy". 

GOOD WORK NHQ!
What's up monkeys?

Fifinella

Quote from: captrncap on March 11, 2008, 03:17:49 AM
Quote from: CASH172 on March 11, 2008, 03:14:29 AM

I would guess that it would be another missing communication from NHQ to Squadrons , since I am a Sq/CC and didn't get this.
Ditto.

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

CASH172

I'm getting info that this memo was sent to all the wing DCPs.  I guess it was up to them on getting this further down the chain. 

Al Sayre

I started messing with it last night, entered a couple of my newer Cadets.  Use the ADMINISTRATION link instead of the DATA ENTRY link to put already completed achievements in, and you can just put in the dates from the CAPF 52-X if you like.  Generates a couple of decent reports, and links to their "member search" report and also to Ops Quals for their Curry Award entry for ES. 

Overall, not too bad, it's just going to be painful entering the previous award data for 30-odd Cadets.  Once we get it loaded the first time I suspect it will make life easier.  Now if we could just get a way to track other awards on eServices we could toss a lot of paper...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BlackKnight

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 11, 2008, 03:54:52 AM
Mikey likes it!  Just imagine, no more annoying last minute faxes or mailings to NHQ to process Mitchell awards.  I can track everything now instead of on that green master record.  Then I Can print it out to place in the cadet file as a "hard copy". 

Exactly what SIMS has been providing for us for the past 3 or 4 years... 

Yes, the fax of the CAPF-52 forms to NHQ can be a hassle because it's easily forgotten, but NHQ has been really good at fast turnaround on the award postings.  Often I find that if you fax it on a regular workday the award is posted later the same day!

The other aspect that I like about maintaining complete local records (via SIMS) is that NHQ can't "turn off" access to your cadet's records when he doesn't: (a) renew his membership, (b) take OPSEC, (c) complete CPPT, or (d) get a shave by whatever date that NHQ has prescribed.   ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

floridacyclist

Faxing? I thought that was what email was made for. lmmeforms@cap.gov is my friend.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

jimmydeanno

Question for you SIMS users.  What happens when a member transfers?  Do you export their data and tell them to give it to the next squadron or do you have to do something else?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Maj Ballard

I've never had a member transfer out since we've been using SIMS, but I would export their data and burn it to CD to give to the gaining squadron. I'd also print out the master record from SIMS and include it with the member's file.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

jimmydeanno

So wouldn't this be a huge advantage over SIMS?  You just initiate the member transfer and their record automatically is there? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

I just went in and looked at it and it looks very cool. Sure, it's a little clunky, but it still seems faster than filling forms out and faxing/emailing them in, plus they stay backed up better than if you kept them locally. On the subject of paper backups, you can always do a printout of a member's record showing the items that need to be kept track of and a new electronic record can always be rebuilt from that if need be.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Maj Ballard

SIMS doesn't just do promotions. It does LOTS of other things. We'll use both in tandem.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

captrncap

One thing I noticed is that the Achievement is not tied to Grade.

Even if you put in all the achievements to the Mitchell the cadet is still listed as C/Amn not C/2d Lt.

Oversight on the NHQ part???

Does anyone know if this is tied to OpsQual so if you enter the Curry here, do you also have to enter it there for a 101 to be valid?

jimmydeanno

It is tied to OpsQual so when you enter the Curry there it should automatically enter it for OpsQual.