Color Guard Rifles

Started by L Cid, August 23, 2007, 07:00:20 PM

L Cid

I would like to purchase M14 drill rifles for our Color Guard unit.  Does anyone have a site or place where i can find and purchase M14 rifles?  Thanks for your response.
"Excellence the Standerd, Prfection the Goal."

DrDave

Not sure if they have M14 replicas, but Glendale is an excellent source for all things color/honor guard:

www.glendale.com

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

jimmydeanno

Sorry, couldn't find M-14 replicas...but www.paradestore.com has Springfield 1903s and M-1 replicas...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

You do realize that the M-14 weighs in at almost 10 lbs, right?  As someone who carried an M-14 for 2 years in the Army's Old Guard, I can tell you that thing gets pretty dern heavy standing there at right shoulder or of course, holding it at present arms.

I wouldn't waste your money on a rifle a 4 1/2 ft cadet weighing in at 90 lbs can't even pick up, let alone throw the thing up to his/her shoulder.
Serving since 1987.

L Cid

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 07:18:43 PM
You do realize that the M-14 weighs in at almost 10 lbs, right?  As someone who carried an M-14 for 2 years in the Army's Old Guard, I can tell you that thing gets pretty dern heavy standing there at right shoulder or of course, holding it at present arms.

I wouldn't waste your money on a rifle a 4 1/2 ft cadet weighing in at 90 lbs can't even pick up, let alone throw the thing up to his/her shoulder.

OK, a replica will do just fine.  Anyone know where we can find non-working replicas of M14 rifles?  We are not interested in Springfield rifles or M-1 Garands.....M14, thank you.  BTW, the Naval and Air Force Academies use M14s for their drill and parades.  Is there anyone here who has a connection with either Academy?  I have tried calling them and I get a runaround from the bookstore to the Cadet store to the armory and back again.  If you know exactly who to call, please leave that information here.  Thank you most sincerely.

flyerthom

Quote from: L Cid on August 23, 2007, 07:00:20 PM
I would like to purchase M14 drill rifles for our Color Guard unit.  Does anyone have a site or place where i can find and purchase M14 rifles?  Thanks for your response.

http://www.thekingofdeals.com/m14mirire.html

$99.00 each

Airsoft version:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78655282

$ 129.00

TC

SJFedor

I've found it pretty tough to find drill worthy M14s. However, talk to some of the american legions, VFWs, etc, some of them have armories for their "honor guards" and may have demil'ed rifles.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

addo1

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

addo1

They also have every accessory that you will ever want for your M14!
                         Phone:  713-884-1112
                 General Info: packrat-toyz@pdq.net
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

smgilbert101

Another Old Guardsman..which company?

I was 1st Platoon Echo Company (The real Honor Guard   8) ;D)
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

Stonewall

Quote from: smgilbert101 on August 27, 2007, 04:54:36 AM

Another Old Guardsman..which company?

I was 1st Platoon Echo Company (The real Honor Guard   8) ;D)

The guy in the picture below isn't you is it?  His name is Gilbert and we both ended up in the same Army National Guard Company after active duty. He was from E Co. I was from D Co., 1st Plt.  I was there from '92 to '94.  I was selected to go to the Pentagon for the SECDEF detail during my last year in.  Got out in '95 then went into the Army Guard.

Serving since 1987.

smgilbert101

The guy in the picture below isn't you is it?  His name is Gilbert and we both ended up in the same Army National Guard Company after active duty. He was from E Co. I was from D Co., 1st Plt.  I was there from '92 to '94.  I was selected to go to the Pentagon for the SECDEF detail during my last year in.  Got out in '95 then went into the Army Guard.

Awww...  Delta Dawgs wasn't it?  Nope, I left the Old Guard for the 101st Airborne back in 1982.  I told my Lt. that I wanted to be a "real" infantryman (he later became an Old Guard commander).  The funny thing is that I got to know him alot better 20 years later and he still remembered the conversation.  My desert camos (MFO duty in egypt) were the older 5 color.

Did you ever get sent to find the key to Blackjack field when you were a newby? ;)

I know what you mean about the M-14's weight, I used to h-a-t-e rifle PT.  My hand used to cramp up something fierce when I first got there.  After I few weeks, we had grips that were strong enough to crush someone elses hand.

And yup, I'm an old fart...my Mitchell is 1585  ;D
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)

Stonewall

Okay, is that your son?   ;D

I have a SGT at my police department that's a retired 1SG who spent all of his career at either Ranger Regiment or Ranger School, except for a 3 year stint at the Old Guard in early 1980s.  Know of a Jimmy Owens?

You know the Old Guard has deployed at least one company constantly since 9/11?  There are Old Guard combat patches these days.

As a member of Delta Dawgs, in two years, I spent 3 weeks in Panama (JOTC), 1 rotation at JRTC in Arkansas, then 2 at JRTC in Louisiana, 2 three week rotations at NTC in California, a couple trips to Ft. Bragg, and of course, tons of time at Ft. AP Hill.  I got there the same day Col. Hunt got there, the Commander of 3rd Ranger BN who jumped into Panama.  At an address to the Old Guard, he said he would make us Infantryman again, and he certainly tried.  I definately spent more time in BDUs than blues. 

The SECDEF detail I went on at the Pentagon was a joint service gig where we stood outside the SECDEF's office in blues with an M9.  Totally ceremonial (for looks), but we had some added perks like training and getting to take part of some cool stuff.

But yeah, I enjoyed my time there and since I didn't get enough time in the field I went into the Army Guard, still as Infantry and got deployed in '97 for 9 months to Bosnia. 

Serving since 1987.

smgilbert101

Quote from: Stonewall on August 27, 2007, 04:23:22 PM
Okay, is that your son?   ;D

Uhhhhh...ummmm, not that I know of....uhhh ummmm  ;)  I can think of many great evenings in Georgetown but that's a different thread...   :angel:

I went through JOTC in '83 and spent quite a bit of time in Central America and an MFO stint in Egypt. Like you, I've spent my fair share of time at A.P. Hill battling the ticks and timber rattlers.

Off and on I've kept my eye on my old regiment and have only heard great things. 
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434

addo1

L Cid,
    Did you ever find out if those M14's on that site are what you are exactly looking for???
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

smgilbert101

They look like they'd fit the bill for a Color Guard.  Be careful about using these replicas for a drill team.  Drill teams are hard on rifles and they'd probably get broken fairly quickly.  Drill teams members frequently drop their rifles when they are learning how to spin them.  Just doing manual of arms, I cracked a few wooden stocks on the real M-14's.  Do I get an amen from Stonewall?

I would suggest some of the Airsoft replica rifles for your Color Guard, but they are capable of firing plastic BB's so they are probably not allowed in CAP.  Having seen the Airsoft M-14's first hand, I can tell you that they definitely would not withstand the wear and tear required for a drill team.

For those of you who do not now what an "Old Guardsman" is, it is the United States Army Honor Guard.  The US Army Honor Guard is also known as the 1st Battalion, 3rd US Infantry (The Old Guard).  Some of the more known teams include the US Army Drill Team and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434

addo1

These are actually made for the wear and tear of movie actors, so I think these M14's would hold up fine!! Also, this company sells to drill teams often.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

L Cid

Is anyone familiar with using AirSoft rifles for drill or color guard?  Can a CAP Cadet Squadron use AirSoft rifles?  Some of these airsoft rifles are beautiful.  For example:
http://www.vietnamwar-guns.com/shop/product_catalog.php?c=27  and

Thanks for all constructive advice.

V/R

MIKE

I wouldn't... The cadets would be too tempted to play with them, and they would have to be rendered inert for use.  Otherwise they would not be permissible.

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-4. c. Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any device that could be used as a weapon at any cadet activity. The only exceptions to this policy are:
(1) Deactivated Firearms. Cadets may use facsimile or deactivated firearms only as part of an honor guard or color guard. A deactivated firearm is one that will prevent the insertion of ammunition or the firing of a weapon. A facsimile is a copy that is not capable of firing ammunition. ...

For my money the Mrk. 1s or the M-1 from paradestore.com are perfectly acceptable for cadet purposes.
Mike Johnston

addo1

Quote from: L Cid on August 30, 2007, 10:20:10 PM
Is anyone familiar with using AirSoft rifles for drill or color guard?  Can a CAP Cadet Squadron use AirSoft rifles?  Some of these airsoft rifles are beautiful.  For example:
http://www.vietnamwar-guns.com/shop/product_catalog.php?c=27  and

Thanks for all constructive advice.

V/R

I agree with smgilbert101.  They have many airsoft editions which look really neat, but I think they are not very sturdy and they might cause problems.  I think I might know of another website with M14 Drill rifles, but I will have to check!

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP