Modernizing the physical fitness program

Started by Eclipse, August 26, 2014, 05:35:12 AM

A.Member

Yet another solution in search of a problem.

No real change is needed to the program.  PT should be a monthly meeting activity, as outlined in Cadet Great Start pamphlet.   

If anything, PT standards should be increased (are they aligned with JROTC?) and I'd even buy into a prgoram for Seniors (lead by example).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

LSThiker

Quote from: A.Member on August 26, 2014, 09:06:18 PM
I'd even buy into a prgoram for Seniors (lead by example).

For a while, I used to perform the CPFT with the cadets.  On the mile run, I was beating all but one.  She was a cross country runner coming in at 6:30 a mile.  I was 6:35 a mile. 

Phil Hirons, Jr.

One of the retention related issues my seminar at NSC 2014 looked at was the CPFT. From our submission.

"Excluding the addition of the "run plus two out of three" rule around 2006 the CPFT has not changed in close to two decades. Sadly the fitness profile of the American youth has changed in that time and not for the better. CAPR 52-16 para 1-7c (1) states, "The goal of the Cadet Program's fitness element is to develop in cadets a habit of regular exercise." If the CPFT is driving some out of the cadet program, which may be their only peer group extolling the benefits of a fit lifestyle and providing role models that do,  then we are failing in that goal."

So a cadet joins who may not have been exposed to physical fitness / healthy eating. A realistic assessment says he'd need 6 months to get to the point to pass the CPFT. So he stays an C/AB for that time. No ES, encampment or anything else that requires the Curry. Others move up new people move up.  Likely hood he stays?

Some suggestions below suggest allowing promotions up to before the Wright or Mitchell. Might be a good start.

A.Member

Quote from: LSThiker on August 26, 2014, 09:10:31 PM
I'd even buy into a prgoram for Seniors (lead by example).

For a while, I used to perform the CPFT with the cadets.  On the mile run, I was beating all but one.  She was a cross country runner coming in at 6:30 a mile.  I was 6:35 a mile.
Good on you. 

We organized a squadron 5K, complete with awards.  It was open to seniors and cadets and other squadrons as well - but members only, no family members, public, etc..   It was fun, turnout was good (we had members from at least 4 different squadrons), and it helped build esprit de corps.  It was fun to see a few of the cross country runners put the hammer down thinking they'd leave us in the dust only to see the old guys right there with them (although there was  one who did manage to leave us in the dust; one of our state's top h.s. cross country runners)

Of course, we could step it up to this  ;) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFA-IguTIs
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Garibaldi

Here is a modified version of a Senior Member fitness program I just came up with.

1. Put the donut/beer/soda/sugary food item down.
2. Step away from said item.
3. Turn off the TV/Computer.
4. Go outside.
5. Take a walk for more than 30 minutes a day.
6. Reap benefits.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Whoa, whoa, whoa Jack LaLanne, let's not get crazy...

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

It's better than the other plan I had.

1. Think about losing weight.

3. PROFIT!

lordmonar

No real change is needed to the program.  PT should be a monthly meeting activity, as outlined in Cadet Great Start pamphlet.   

If anything, PT standards should be increased (are they aligned with JROTC?) and I'd even buy into a prgoram for Seniors (lead by example).
the problem is ..... To many kids drop out of CAP or worse don't join because of our pt standards.  A gradual approach that still has an objective standard (say at Mitchell) but with emphasis on showing improvement in stead of xyz for each promotion.   I also like the quarterly assessments in stead of each promotion.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sarmed1

I would be all for making a passing score required for each milestone acheivment.  Make each in-between achievements diagnostic only.  ie you have to physicall complete it, but it doesnt count against you, only tell you where you are in relation to you target for the next required test.  This solves the stuck at AB for ever while I try to get in shape without getting too discouraged.

Using the once a month idea to promote a healthy lifestyle is the same problem we have in the reserve's.  Once a month does nothing to make them change their lifestyle, in fact it leads to a higher likelyhood of causing an issue the day that you "make" them do PT.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

stillamarine

I don't know much about the president thing but I think if almost be ok with quarterly pt tests. That doesn't mean you still can't do pt once a month or even every week. My police explorers pt every week for the first 30 mins of a meeting. It's a crunch but doable. I also agree with a passing score for major achievements.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on August 26, 2014, 10:32:50 PM

the problem is ..... To many kids drop out of CAP or worse don't join because of our pt standards. 
Source?  I've never heard anyone joining or not joining because of PT and don't agree there is a problem.  We cannot and should not try to be all things to all people.  They can join Scouts or 4H instead.   

Garibaldi

Quote from: A.Member on August 27, 2014, 02:04:13 AM

the problem is ..... To many kids drop out of CAP or worse don't join because of our pt standards. 
Source?  I've never heard anyone joining or not joining because of PT and don't agree there is a problem.  We cannot and should not try to be all things to all people.  They can join Scouts or 4H instead.

I can see their little eyes go all foggy when I mention PT to potential cadets.

lordmonar

Quote from: A.Member on August 27, 2014, 02:04:13 AM

Personally in my seven years with my current composite squadron......I know of at least 10 cadets who dropped out due to non-progression due to continued PT failures.     I also know of more then a couple of prospective larger then average cadets who never returned after PT night. 

I know personally at least 10 Eakers who failed to make Spaatz due to PT failures.

As for "well they should join XYZ"......call me biased but I think that we got a better program then they do.....and I would rather they join our program.

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 04:04:17 AM
I know personally at least 10 Eakers who failed to make Spaatz due to PT failures.

I know of a few people that did not want to join due to PT.  I would not be opposed to mandate a passing CPFT until the Wright Brothers.  This way, cadet airman have at least 6 months to condition prior.

However, I have a problem with the above statement (not necessarily towards you).  By the time they get to the Eaker, you know what the Spaatz requirements are.  There is no reason a cadet should walk into the Spaatz and fail the CPFT (barring any unexpected problems such as a person running into the cadet while running).  A CPFT is pretty much the only test you walk into knowing all the answers and whether or not you will pass.

lordmonar

The point being......by definition only 25% of the population will be in the 75th percentile........there are some people who will NEVER no matter how much effort or training make it to that standard.

One of the many reasons why we only have .05% (or less) of our cadets ever get their Spaatz.

A.Member

As for "well they should join XYZ"......call me biased but I think that we got a better program then they do.....and I would rather they join our program.
Concur...and you want to why?  PT!  It's a key differentiator.

lordmonar

Quote from: A.Member on August 27, 2014, 04:41:42 AM
Really?  You joined CAP because of the PT?   

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 04:28:10 AM
The point being......by definition only 25% of the population will be in the 75th percentile........there are some people who will NEVER no matter how much effort or training make it to that standard.

One of the many reasons why we only have .05% (or less) of our cadets ever get their Spaatz.

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 04:28:10 AM

Sure.  But is it truly a reason or a consequence of other reasons?  Also, there are some people who will never no matter how much effort or studying will make it to the standard of passing the written Spaatz exams. 

However, if you are sitting at Eaker and you walk into the Spaatz not knowing whether or not you will pass the CPFT, then there is a problem.  To be honest, not much of a difference in standards between Eaker and Spaatz.  The run is the only one that has a "significant" difference between the two.

lordmonar

My point....has been.....why have we chosen the standard of the 70th percentile?

Since we are not primarily a physical fitness organization why did we choose that standard?

We need a PT component to our cadet program.....I agree with that.  We need to have assessments....I agree with that.   But whey do we need to have a 50%/60%/70%/75% standard to promote?

Are we saying only collegiate caliber athletes can be good leaders and good citizens?....because that is what we have set up as out system.

And that attidue trickels down to the lowest levels......an out of shape 12 year old is not going to want to join an organization where you got to not only do PT to advance.....but do well.    12 year olds don't think like that.   So they don't join, we never get the chance to train them, mold them and make a difference in their lives.

So.....we do PT once a month just like we always do.  We do fitness assessments once a quarter....and we encourage out cadets to improve and work on it.......as we continue to train and mold them into leaders and good citizens. 

Where exactly is the down side to this?

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on August 27, 2014, 04:45:02 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 27, 2014, 04:41:42 AM
Really?  You joined CAP because of the PT?   
No, I'm a senior member but the cadet program is certainly one reason I got involved and stay involved.  It's A differentiator...not THE differentiator.   

PT is one of the things that makes the cadet program unique otherwise it could simply be a scout or 4H program; they have aerospace activities too, as does Young Eagles.  PT is a key part of leadership development for cadets...and yes, in my 13+ yrs at the squadron I've had a number of prospective parents express they were impressed and appreciative of the PT component, among other things.   They don't want their child sitting around playing video games. 

Our cadets looked forward to PT night...kind of like gym class.  At the Wing level, the cadet volleyball competition is one of the most popular cadet activities with squadrons competing against each other for a trophy (and bragging rights).   Our Wing CC has a standing challenge out to cadets to beat him on a very challenging trail run.   Physical activities are something we should embrace, not shy away from. 

Cadets will surprise (and impress) you and themselves when properly motivated.