Enhanced Cadet Protection Policy for '14

Started by Eclipse, August 16, 2013, 05:45:12 PM

dwb

Quote from: Elioron on September 29, 2013, 07:49:27 PMJust to be clear, I understand that there isn't any intent to put parents and other well-meaning members in jeopardy, but the biggest issue with most things are the unintended consequences.  Part of having public discourse is to expose these possible consequences.

Based on Ned's post above, I assume your specific concern is covered in the next draft, which sounds like it will be available soon. Which, like you said, is why we have public discourse on draft changes of this significance.

Elioron

Quote from: dwb on September 29, 2013, 08:24:25 PM
Based on Ned's post above, I assume your specific concern is covered in the next draft, which sounds like it will be available soon.
I hope so.  The last revision cleared up a lot of potential problems.

Quote from: phirons on September 29, 2013, 08:12:34 PM
If I had a business that hired teenagers, our cadets would be the type I'd want to hire.
That is the consensus of several business people I know - in and out of CAP.  It is one of the things they cleaned up in the August draft.  Instead of an absolute prohibition for cadets to work for Seniors it is now allowed with parental permission.  The part that needs to be clarified is working with them, which is contact outside of meetings.  It could be in a coworker relationship or a superior/subordinate relationship (and realistically either could be superior).

I think the wording is what's difficult.  I think the same goal can be reached with specific exemptions.

3-5(b)

• Except in the standard course of employment (assuming employment was gained IAW 3-5c)
  • Upon chance meetings in a public venue, common courtesy is expected and should not be considered contact for the purposes of this regulation.
  • Instances where the Cadet Member is visiting a person or persons of whom the Senior Member is the parent or otherwise acting guardian shall be exempt.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

lordmonar

Quote from: Brad on September 29, 2013, 05:17:08 PMAlso, with this bit here:

Quotef. Semi-Private Discussions. Adult leaders who need to mentor or counsel cadets individually during official activities should do so in the presence of a third person when reasonably possible. Alternatively, one-on one meetings are permitted if conducted in a semi-open setting (ie: office door kept ajar, or conversing away from, but in sight of, the group, or other circumstances).
what about the provision that Chaplains can be alone with Cadets for counseling? Is that being done away with? Are they going to have to come under the semi-private rule now?
Not done away with.....they have to in a room with the door open.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP