Cadet Encampment Handbook

Started by jimmydeanno, October 05, 2012, 04:22:03 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Loved the video, except when they fast-forwarded an activity. Were they trying to poke fun at what happened? Maybe you do not care, but to me when you fast-forward a video of an activity is that people are poking fun at what is going on.

More important is teaching things properly.

As a first-aid instructor, as an EMT-Basic (certificate expired, however), and having worked as a volunteer EMT, I found something troubling.

The video shows "carrying a litter." One cadet or instructor at the feet on the left side is instructing another to grab the feet on the right side. The instructor proceeds to lift the litter by keeping knees straight and bending at the waist. I was always taught that litters are lifted by keeping waist straight, bending the knees. The way that instructor had the cadet do. Is this a case of "don't do as I do, do as I teach you?" Is it a new way of carrying a litter?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Extremepredjudice

Ranks were taken off the day of the O-course because they were a "safety" hazard...

The litter carry was part of the o course. They didn't recieve any training on how to pick it up.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

PHall

Quote from: Fubar on January 08, 2013, 06:09:45 AM
It looks like a video from the encampment has been posted:

'12-'13 Florida Winger WInter Encampment

Looks to me like the students were having a good time. I did notice what seemed to be a large number of students that didn't appear to be wearing any rank - is that something being tried with the new curriculum?

In CAWG we have all cadets who wear metal grade insignia on their collar remove it before they go to the confiedence course.
Saves on trying to find it later when they realize it fell off while they were running the course.

Eclipse

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/?encampment_guide__handbook__2014&show=entry&blogID=1145

"We anticipate that the Cadet Encampment Guide and Cadet Encampment Handbook that have been in draft status for over a year will be finalized and published by Christmas, in time for the planning season for the summer '14 encampments.

We know that there are a couple spring encampments out there. Those encampments will NOT be bound by the new guidelines in the spring '14 season.

Please stay tuned to the Cadet Blog for future developments. Region and Wing DCPs, we'll send you an announcement via email once the new materials are ready. Again, Christmas is the target.

Our thanks to everyone who has contributed to the document reviews and field tests."

Hopefully the new 52-10 / 52-16 CPPT rules and related docs will hit by then as well.  A new 39-1 thrown in would be icing on the cake.
If those all get published by Spring, a lot of the stuff we complain about discuss here will be settled once and for all, at least in terms
of the expectations. 

Enforcement will be the next challenge.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2013, 08:27:29 PM
Hopefully the new 52-10 / 52-16 CPPT rules and related docs will hit by then as well.  A new 39-1 thrown in would be icing on the cake.
If those all get published by Spring, a lot of the stuff we complain about discuss here will be settled once and for all, at least in terms
of the expectations.
Or not.  >:D

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2013, 08:27:29 PMEnforcement will be the next challenge.

Agreed. Right now it seems the plan is to have the encampment commander self-certify that everything went according to regulation and have the wing commander rubber-stamp it. Seeing as we've allegedly being using CAP-RAP folks up to this point to ensure we're following the rules and we still had wings with cadets wearing smokey the bear hats and Gunnery Sergeant Hartman wannabes, I'm not entirely optimistic for this new arrangement.

CAPAPRN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 04:57:00 PM

This needs to go -
Lee Harvey Oswald was once a CAP cadet. And, the Texas School Book Depository 
building, from where he shot and killed President Kennedy, was owned by CAP National Commander Brig Gen Harold Byrd. Coincidence?

The inference is that it isn't a coincidence, and that Gen Byrd was somehow involved."

WHAT HE SAID!!!!! How the heck did that even get past the first draft????? Seriously, this is a REALLY bad idea, as well as slander against Gen. Byrd. I would hope the moderator of this forum could intervene at national. I am doing my second encampment of the year next month, and I would never allow this material to be used. Anyone wanting to verify that this isn't the insane raving of CAPTALK members check out the pamphlet link its on page 48 "Cap Trivia"
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Eclipse

That's seriously still in there?

If I was Byrd or his family I'd have an issue with that big time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

"Holy zombie raising event, Batman!" 

That was removed a long time ago, but thanks for checking before posting...

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector__JanuaryMarch_2014_029373D619EB6.pdf

Encampment Curriculum: Having successfully completed field tests, a new encampment curriculum and
supporting resources become available in January, with nationwide implementation taking effect on 1 June
. Region and Wing CCs and CPs will receive full details via email in January and the documents will be
posted to www.capmembers.com/encampment.

That's two+ years for those of you scoring at home...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

From the April-June Vector: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/AprJun_2014_Vector_3027BE9DE242C.pdf

"Encampment Curriculum: The new encampment curriculum and supporting resources are now available.
These are the primary planning documents specifying encampment goals, curriculum requirements,
operational standards, and suggested best practices. The Cadet Encampment Guide, lesson plans and
other resources may be found on www.capmembers.com/encampment. To request hard copies, please
email jlee@capnhq.gov by 1 May. The request should include the proposed date of the encampment, total
number of cadets participating, and the name / address for shipping. Hard copies, if needed, will ship in
May. Nationwide implementation takes effect on 1 June 2014. Cadet Programs will have Q&A sessions
about the new curriculum for DCPs and Encampment CCs. Two sessions are available, 6 pm PDT 21 April
and 6 pm EDT 24 April. To sign up, email jlee@capnhq.gov by 18 April."

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/activities/encampments.cfm

"That Others May Zoom"