Cadet Encampment Handbook

Started by jimmydeanno, October 05, 2012, 04:22:03 PM

jimmydeanno

So, I'm just wondering why we keep debating having these printed locally by each wing/cadet/parent on an dot matrix, when the intent is to have NHQ keep a stockpile of them, printed at extremely low cost, and sent to the respective wing as part of an encampment package. 

It, obviously, makes no sense to have someone print 60 pages at home, in full-color, or even black and white, when the cheapest inkjet can only produce a color page for about $0.40/pg, and NHQ can get them printed for about $0.50/ea for the entire thing, color, formatted, and bound.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 11, 2012, 10:43:35 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 10:24:12 PM
Agreed - the average cadet would show up with sixty single-sided pages with the 5x7 image in the center of the page.
Isn't that why they built scissors?

Being a smart-ass will get you nowhere. There will still be 60 one-sided pieces of paper to deal with, which is the primary issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LGM30GMCC

One disadvantage of going to more standardized and professional programs. They tend to cost money. I think one of the things that wings are going to do more is find private grants/funding to help support activities like encampments. There's money out there, it takes someone dedicated and with at least some skill set to hunt it down. And I don't just mean from legislatures.

But no matter how you boil it down, in general, CAP encampments are among the cheapest week-long 'summer camps' out there.

Extremepredjudice

Just got home from encampment. We used the new material. I will post my full review soon.

Mr. Lafond was there and recieved a bunch of feedback.

My initial review is: It sucked. The doolies (students) didn't learn [Filter Subversion]
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

HGjunkie

I never knew that word had 5 letters in it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AM
Just got home from encampment. We used the new material. I will post my full review soon.

Mr. Lafond was there and recieved a bunch of feedback.

My initial review is: It sucked. The doolies (students) didn't learn [Filter Subversion]

What in the world is a doolie, and what in the world did they learn in the past?

a2capt

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AMMy initial review is: It sucked. The doolies (students) didn't learn [Filter Subversion]
That's apparently his chosen (derogatory, pointless and unnecessary) term for 1st year attendees.  I don't care what justification you try to give it. It's unprofessional.

The people at National Headquarters are not perfect. But I will tell you this. They have -a lot- more years of experience, a lot more resources to draw from, and a lot more experience to dwell on. When they are making changes and additions to the various aspects of this organizations curriculum, I'm pretty darn confident that they have just a slight idea of what they are doing.

But apparently, so do you.  :o

I'm looking forward to that review. I hope it's a lot more constructive than this initial reply.

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AM

Seriously?

Having that term specifically disavowed in the guide isn't enough?

Maybe the students didn't have leaders who actually knew the curriculum, and confused CAP with some other unrelated organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Considering that particular poster's history said comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

Extremepredjudice

So mr. Lafond said the curriculum is intended to be taught a lot at the flight/squadron level. The drawback is, not every line staff is created equal. So there isn't really a standardized result. So some flights got amazing classes, others got horrid classes. IMHO, get rid of this. It creates to many different results.

In the curriculum there was very little opportunity for drill or base tours. The tours offered were short and no one had time to see everything (unlike last year). As they were marching to graduation they looked exactly the same as they did arriving. I would say there was little or no improvement. Even in the flights with good line staff. There just wasn't enough time.

The book itself is spiral bound. As we all know basics destroy their handbooks. All of them were falling apart by the third day. The basics got their 8.5 hrs of sleep. They still complained about the amount of sleep. Staff didn't get 8 hrs of sleep. Depending on your job, the average was more like 7 hours or less. Personally, I got 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (so if you didn't like how my previous post was worded, that is why.).

The book is basically something you should read before you go to encampment. It doesn't serve as a good replacement to the FLWG ETG (recommend everyone reads it). It lacks region/wing touch (obviously). It doesn't have statistics or infomation about your wing. So none of the basics knew stuff about their wing.

The book doesn't have CAP ranks and terms of address. The basics didn't have any real understanding of ranks.

The chain of command is in the book a good ten pages. Plus, there is no name spot. If I find a handbook laying around how am I supposed to direct the book back towards the correct basic. The chain of command needs to be just inside the cover.

The book fits ok into bdu cargo pockets. It isn't somethig you can put away in a few seconds. Especially if you don't want it to fall apart.

IIRC, in the chain of comand disgram it is only encampment. There should be a spot for everything upto at LEAST national/cc.

More stuff to follow. I am going to go back to sleep.

If you guys see spelling or grammar errors, get over it. I don't care right now.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Extremepredjudice

Another thing that came to me: FLWG was testing out using cell phones as the primary means of communications, rather than radios. All OICs and commanders kept their phones. Everyone else used FRS radios. They used a 3rd party company to make a group texts to everyone.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA. I would be about to go to sleep, and then an OIC would walk in and tell me I needed to be half a mile away in bdus in 5 minutes.

By the end of the week all the command staff started to use EF johnsons.

Cell phones run into service issues, level of technical knowledge, (not every SM can text) is it on slient, vibrate, etc. shorter battery life, people messing around on facebook, the need to have everyone's phone numbers.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Most of your complaints have nothing to do with the new curriculum, and appear to be management issues with the specific activity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

No. I filtered all the management issues out. I put my thoughts on the new stuff (the phone thing was for NHQ, too) that was tried out for NHQ.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

arajca

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
So mr. Lafond said the curriculum is intended to be taught a lot at the flight/squadron level. The drawback is, not every line staff is created equal. So there isn't really a standardized result. So some flights got amazing classes, others got horrid classes. IMHO, get rid of this. It creates to many different results.
Were the flight staff trained on the material and how to instruct or were they just handed the guide and told to teach this? 

QuoteIn the curriculum there was very little opportunity for drill or base tours. The tours offered were short and no one had time to see everything (unlike last year). As they were marching to graduation they looked exactly the same as they did arriving. I would say there was little or no improvement. Even in the flights with good line staff. There just wasn't enough time.
What was the goal of the encampment - instruct newer cadets or tour the base?

QuoteThe book itself is spiral bound. As we all know basics destroy their handbooks. All of them were falling apart by the third day.
I haven't seen the tendancy of basics to destroy their handbooks. Most of the ones I've seen get damaged by the end, but are not destroyed. IIRC, this was brought up earlier as well.

QuoteThe basics got their 8.5 hrs of sleep. They still complained about the amount of sleep.
You're not going to stop them complaining.
QuoteStaff didn't get 8 hrs of sleep. Depending on your job, the average was more like 7 hours or less. Personally, I got 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (so if you didn't like how my previous post was worded, that is why.).
Need to learn better time management skills, which is one goal for the staff - senior and cadet.

QuoteThe book is basically something you should read before you go to encampment. It doesn't serve as a good replacement to the FLWG ETG (recommend everyone reads it). It lacks region/wing touch (obviously). It doesn't have statistics or infomation about your wing. So none of the basics knew stuff about their wing.
Never saw the FLWG ETG. As for stats, what's stopping you from adding a page on your wing?

QuoteThe book doesn't have CAP ranks and terms of address. The basics didn't have any real understanding of ranks.
They should be learning that at their home uinit before coming to encampment.

QuoteThe chain of command is in the book a good ten pages. Plus, there is no name spot. If I find a handbook laying around how am I supposed to direct the book back towards the correct basic. The chain of command needs to be just inside the cover.
How about telling the cadets to write their name on the front cover, upper right corner?

QuoteThe book fits ok into bdu cargo pockets. It isn't somethig you can put away in a few seconds. Especially if you don't want it to fall apart.
OK, give them an extra few seconds to put it away.

QuoteIIRC, in the chain of comand disgram it is only encampment. There should be a spot for everything upto at LEAST national/cc.
At encampment, the chain of command for encampment is what matters. The rest should be taught at the home units.

arajca

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 04:11:59 PM
Another thing that came to me: FLWG was testing out using cell phones as the primary means of communications, rather than radios. All OICs and commanders kept their phones. Everyone else used FRS radios. They used a 3rd party company to make a group texts to everyone.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA.
Agreed, bad idea.

QuoteI would be about to go to sleep, and then an OIC would walk in and tell me I needed to be half a mile away in bdus in 5 minutes.
What time? After lights out when you're supposed to be sleeping or during the day when you're not supposed to be sleeping?

QuoteBy the end of the week all the command staff started to use EF johnsons.

Cell phones run into service issues, level of technical knowledge, (not every SM can text) is it on slient, vibrate, etc. shorter battery life, people messing around on facebook, the need to have everyone's phone numbers.
One of the CAP communications principles is NOT rely on commercial infrastructure. That's why we have radios.

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 05:03:10 PM
No. I filtered all the management issues out. I put my thoughts on the new stuff (the phone thing was for NHQ, too) that was tried out for NHQ.

Base tours, for example, are not a goal of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Encampment Program.

Arajca hit most of the other highpoints.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

It looks like a video from the encampment has been posted:

'12-'13 Florida Winger WInter Encampment

Looks to me like the students were having a good time. I did notice what seemed to be a large number of students that didn't appear to be wearing any rank - is that something being tried with the new curriculum?

Майор Хаткевич

PA Guy

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
Personally, I got 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (so if you didn't like how my previous post was worded, that is why.).

Major leadership failure.

PA Guy

Quote from: Fubar on January 08, 2013, 06:09:45 AM
I did notice what seemed to be a large number of students that didn't appear to be wearing any rank - is that something being tried with the new curriculum?

No