Squadron Flight Sergeant

Started by Danger, May 12, 2012, 05:11:38 PM

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eagle on May 23, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
Well, in my squadron, we have a situation where a C/A1C has a higher position than a C/CMSgt. The C/CMSgt has not shown the A. Responsibility, or B. the Maturity, to have even a basic leadership position, where-as the Airman who has only been in for a few months and is several years younger shows a higher level of responsibility.
They shouldn't be a C/CMSgt. then.

Quote from: Sam14 on May 23, 2012, 07:59:03 PM
@Titan, I definitely agree here, with the rank usually comes the experience and training needed for the role assigned that rank. (emphasis on usually)
Sir, this isn't twitter.

Use quote tags
[quote]TEXT HERE[/quote]

And there is a modify button. http://puu.sh/woIU
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Aim for the Sky!

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 23, 2012, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: Eagle on May 23, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
Well, in my squadron, we have a situation where a C/A1C has a higher position than a C/CMSgt. The C/CMSgt has not shown the A. Responsibility, or B. the Maturity, to have even a basic leadership position, where-as the Airman who has only been in for a few months and is several years younger shows a higher level of responsibility.
They shouldn't be a C/CMSgt. then.

Well they obviously are, no changing that, only thing to do is make do with what you've got.

Quote from: Sam14 on May 23, 2012, 07:59:03 PM
@Titan, I definitely agree here, with the rank usually comes the experience and training needed for the role assigned that rank. (emphasis on usually)
Sir, this isn't twitter.

Use quote tags
[quote]TEXT HERE[/quote]

And there is a modify button. http://puu.sh/woIU

Why thank you, see now, I was under the impression it WAS twitter!

commando1

Quote from: Only The Best on May 23, 2012, 10:16:46 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
How about that @Extremepredjudice?
I don't remember reading the rules for using CT that dictated that a user must reply with quote tags.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

Eclipse

Quote from: commando1 on May 25, 2012, 02:42:54 AMI don't remember reading the rules for using CT that dictated that a user must reply with quote tags.

It's called etiquette.

This isn't Twitter, and we don't need that "@" nonsense here.  The expectation is full sentences, spell check, and at least a 6th-grade level of grammar.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: commando1 on May 25, 2012, 02:42:54 AM
Quote from: Only The Best on May 23, 2012, 10:16:46 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
How about that @Extremepredjudice?
I don't remember reading the rules for using CT that dictated that a user must reply with quote tags.  8)
Respectfully sir,

What eclipse said. Plus on twitter you tweet short messages. I don't know the character limit on CT, but it is a lot. Quoting the text gives people the exact thing you are responding to. Rather than guessing.

This forum can be thought of as a "professional" forum. Grammar, etiquette, and respect are all important.

At signs and hashtags are just plain tacky. 

Edit:
Incorrect: Let's eat grandma.
Correct: Let's eat, grandma.

Grammar can save lives. Please use it.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

Except there are plenty of times when the whole entire thing is not necessary to quote, and people do.

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on May 25, 2012, 04:53:14 AM
Except there are plenty of times when the whole entire thing is not necessary to quote, and people do.

But that's a whole 'nother thing.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on May 25, 2012, 05:10:12 AM

Or they start a quote train. ;)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 25, 2012, 05:10:12 AM

Time to learn how to use the interface, vs making things up like bolding, pretty colors, etc. One of the main reasons the quote function is there is to allow the reader to easily click through back to the original full message.

"That Others May Zoom"

Aim for the Sky!

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2012, 03:06:11 AM
Quote from: commando1 on May 25, 2012, 02:42:54 AMI don't remember reading the rules for using CT that dictated that a user must reply with quote tags.

It's called etiquette.

This isn't Twitter, and we don't need that "@" nonsense here.  The expectation is full sentences, spell check, and at least a 6th-grade level of grammar.

@Eclipse/ExtremePredjudice; Come again... who's expectation? This WAS a forum, last time I checked, and the point of forums is to get your message across, whether you find it easier to use quote tags or @. If you really are going to be a stickler for a quote tag, I suggest you move on to better things.

Eclipse

Quote from: Only The Best on May 25, 2012, 02:34:01 PM
@Eclipse/ExtremePredjudice; Come again... who's expectation? This WAS a forum, last time I checked, and the point of forums is to get your message across, whether you find it easier to use quote tags or @. If you really are going to be a stickler for a freaking quote tag, I suggest you move on and get a life...

The expectation of the majority of the most active users, Cadet.  Every forum has expectations and etiquette.

"That Others May Zoom"

Aim for the Sky!

The expectation of the majority of the most active users, Cadet.  Every forum has expectations and etiquette.

@Eclipse; How does one discover this so called etiquette of yours? Trail and error? I don't think so... when anyone enters this forums, it should not be to perfect their grammar, there are many forums for that, no, this one is to be a database for CAP members looking for a resource. If this argument does not get back on track, then I will ALWAYS use @ when refering to you or Extremepredjudice, becuase (oops, was that an SP error? how dare I! In a CAP forum, no less!) of your silly notion that there is a magical book of rules stating that @ is not an OK way to refer to someone...

Eclipse

Quote from: Only The Best on May 25, 2012, 02:54:02 PM

Eclipse; How does one discover this so called etiquette of yours?

Listen and learn.

You would do well to remember that you are addressing fellow cadets and senior members, so your tone needs to be tempered as well.
In response to your next thought, yes, comments made here have ramifications in the real world.  This is not "just" the internet.

That is another lesson that has been hard-learned by many people.

"That Others May Zoom"

Aim for the Sky!

Eclipse; I apologize for disrespecting you sir, I was just a little peeved that someone finds it their duty to correct my "at" when the harm done was nil. As far as hiding something, I know that I am not unknown, in fact, my name is Sam Kneen, I am CAPID 461560, and I belong to St. Croix Squadron, MNWNG. Will someone please explain to me why "at" is unacceptable? Thanks...

Extremepredjudice

Sir,

Doing what you are doing is really immature.

It isn't personal. When I originally corrected you, it wasn't a big deal. I've done it multiple times. There is no need for this behavior.

If you go on a lot of forums there is an expectation that you will obey the rules, even if those rules are by convention. Each one is different. In this forum we expect good etiquette, good grammar, and respect.

Doing something like this shows your maturity. It shows you don't respect your fellow CAP members. It shows you don't respect Eclipse (Just a FYI, he is a Lt. Col.).

Maybe, sir, you should grow up before you continue posting here?

Just so you know, chances are someone knows WHO you are. So don't think you can be disrespectful with impunity.

This might just be the internet, but you should respect the people on the internet. Just because you think you are anonymous doesn't give you free reign. It doesn't give you a permit to disrespect CAP Officers.

Our "magical book" is what is expected of you in 90% of the forums out there.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Cool Mace

Quote from: @ on May 25, 2012, 03:06:29 PM
@Eclipse; Let's get back to the subject on hand, quickly if possible, and I WILL continue to use @, and I WILL NOT be "tempered" whatever that is; also, if you really do think of this as something other than "'just' the internet", I guess that explains why you have your too much free time award...

You might want to look at some of the rules from the moderators, just a FYI. They have even asked members on here to not use "@", but instead use the quoting button you find at the top right of the post you want to reply to.

Mutual respect on here is a good practice to have, even if you don't agree with someone on the subject at hand. I've had differing opinions than other people on here, but we give our side to the story. No more, no less.

Eclipse has been around the CAP block (and CAPTalk) a time or two, and he know's what he's talking about. EP has been on here for some time now as well. They don't mean any harm, just trying to help out a new member to the forum.

Take this as you will.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Extremepredjudice

If you are going to troll, using an email with your name in it isn't the best idea. Just a protip.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Cool Mace

Another good point, EP.

A thread you may want to check out, @.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Aim for the Sky!

Look at my above post please...

Eclipse

Quote from: @ on May 25, 2012, 03:06:29 PM
Eclipse; Let's get back to the subject on hand, quickly if possible, and I WILL continue to use @, and I WILL NOT be "tempered" whatever that is; also, if you really do think of this as something other than "'just' the internet", I guess that explains why you have your too much free time award...

The reference to "just the internet" is the mistaken belief by some people that comments and behavior here, or elsewhere cannot and will not have real-life implications, both CAP-related and otherwise.

The fact that you have suddenly (and a bit belatedly) anonymized yourself would indicate you are beginning to realize that's not the case.

Welcome to CAPTalk.

"That Others May Zoom"