CAPR 52-16 CADET PROGRAM MANAGEMENT EFFECTIVE 1 FEBRUARY 2011

Started by MIKE, December 20, 2010, 07:11:35 PM

MIKE

Mike Johnston

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: MIKE on December 20, 2010, 07:11:35 PM

Summary of Changes
After reading the new regulation/requirements, do ya think that senior members will be all lined up eager to volunteer their time to oversee the cadet program :-\ ???
RM

jimmydeanno

There isn't anything in there that shouldn't be done already.  If establishing goals and taking a TLC if you haven't are going to stop you from working with cadets, I can't imagine it was a good fit anyway.

It also removes a bunch of responsibility from the local units and places the onus on the wing to provide things to the units they're supposed to support.

1) TLCs at least once per year

2) O-Flights will be managed by the wing

That's not a bad thing and makes my job a lot easier...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 21, 2010, 02:24:24 AM

Summary of Changes
After reading the new regulation/requirements, do ya think that senior members will be all lined up eager to volunteer their time to oversee the cadet program :-\ ???
RM
The only one that I saw that might be a hurdle for some is the 2 TLC graduate requirement, and that's left pretty flexible.

The rest of it was stuff related to running a strong cadet program that should have been in there a long time ago.

If someone is put off by having to [gasp!] attend a weekend training course and [gasp!] actually hold activities for their cadets they need to find another part of the CAP mission to serve, because Cadet Programs isn't for them. It does require a little work to run a good program.

EMT-83

More highlights:

Cadets become eligible to participate in CPPT upon turning 17 years of age.

High Adventure Activities.

Interesting that O-flights are to be managed by Wing. Last year, we moved away from Wing level O-flights and left them to the squadrons. Actually flew more hours that way.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 21, 2010, 02:48:05 AM
Interesting that O-flights are to be managed by Wing. Last year, we moved away from Wing level O-flights and left them to the squadrons. Actually flew more hours that way.

The intent isn't to have the wing call up the cadets, etc, but rather, to have the wing develop a plan to get cadets in the air.  That could mean that the wing establishes the general framework for the program, then has the groups and squadrons implement.

The benefit, though, is that a squadron with no pilots and no plane doesn't have to figure out how to convince people to fly their cadets.  A call to the wing, letting them know of the need should be sufficient enough to get a plan in action. 

IMO, it's a win-win.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: DC on December 21, 2010, 02:30:58 AM

Summary of Changes
RM
If someone is put off by having to [gasp!] attend a weekend training course and [gasp!] actually hold activities for their cadets they need to find another part of the CAP mission to serve, because Cadet Programs isn't for them. It does require a little work to run a good program.
So how long does that weekend activity have to be, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours etc?   Also do all cadets have to participate?  What if it is a "niche" type activity only e.g. rockets, computers, radio comms, astronomy/satellite viewing, ES ground team training?  Do you also have to have a general interest activity?  Also can the activity be held on another weekday night rather than a weekend?   Surely, their needs to be flexibility in when these activities are held, and again mandating when is not good policy.

Cadet & senior members have other lives, and weekends may be reserved for other activities.

Hey I'm not in cadet programs, and this likely won't affect me greatly (I'll likely give them 4 to 6 hours, one weekend per quarter to help),  so good luck to all the cadet program guys & gals :clap:
RM

manfredvonrichthofen

DC

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 21, 2010, 03:02:49 AM
Quote from: DC on December 21, 2010, 02:30:58 AM

Summary of Changes
RM
So how long does that weekend activity have to be, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours etc?   Also do all cadets have to participate?  What if it is a "niche" type activity only e.g. rockets, computers, radio comms, astronomy/satellite viewing, ES ground team training?  Do you also have to have a general interest activity?  Also can the activity be held on another weekday night rather than a weekend?   Surely, their needs to be flexibility in when these activities are held, and again mandating when is not good policy.

Cadet & senior members have other lives, and weekends may be reserved for other activities.

Hey I'm not in cadet programs, and this likely won't affect me greatly (I'll likely give them 4 to 6 hours, one weekend per quarter to help),  so good luck to all the cadet program guys & gals :clap:
RM
I don't think saying, in effect, that a squadron needs to do something outside of the regular weekly meeting once per month is overbearing, or dictating when things should happen. It doesn't even have to be a Saturday, that's just the example given. Exactly what type of activity is held is left open, allowing units to do what suits their needs best.

A.Member

Extremely poor wording of 2-5b.  It should simply read that "no CAP member may administer prescription or nonprescription medication to another member".  Of course, exceptions are not addressed...or maybe there are none? (the way I read it there are none).

The one weekend activity requirement per month is ridiculous as well.  Have one special activity is OK; defining when and/or how that activity should take place is not.

The rest of the changes are OK. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DC

Quote from: A.Member on December 21, 2010, 03:55:15 AM
Extremely poor wording of 2-5b.  It should simply read that "no CAP member may not administer prescritpion or non-prescription medication to another member".  Of course, exceptions are not addressed...or maybe there are none? (the way I read it there are none).

The one weekend activity requirement per month is ridiculous as well.  Have one special activity is OK; defining when and/or how that activity should take place is not.

I think the spirit of the requirement allows for a little more flexibility than that, but, honestly, how often do activities other than regular meetings occur during the week?

A poor choice of wording on NHQs part, but not a huge problem for the vast majority of units, I think.

A.Member

Quote from: DC on December 21, 2010, 04:02:56 AM
Extremely poor wording of 2-5b.  It should simply read that "no CAP member may not administer prescription or nonprescription medication to another member".  Of course, exceptions are not addressed...or maybe there are none? (the way I read it there are none).

I think the spirit of the requirement allows for a little more flexibility than that, but, honestly, how often do activities other than regular meetings occur during the week?

A poor choice of wording on NHQs part, but not a huge problem for the vast majority of units, I think.
Agreed but the problem I have is when issues such as this one are not explicitly defined.  The "spirit" of the regulation leaves much open to interpretation.  What is the "spirit"?  Your view of that spirit may differ greatly from mine.  That is the concern.  The reg should try to eliminate such interpretations whenever possible.  Flexibility by design may be OK in some cases but not in others.  My guess is the meds statement is derived from legal concerns, as such it should be stated more clearly.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jimmydeanno

You think that a unit participating in 12 activities a YEAR is too much to ask?  To me, it actually sounds a little low to actually get anything done.

In reality, if the wing has 6 activities a year, the squadron only needs to come up with 6 more - whatever it may be: museum, air show, rocketry day, ES activity, drill team practice, orientation flight day, basic cadet training day, star gazing, radio controlled airplanes, paintball, firing range, hiking, sports day, communications training, bivouac, orienteering, community projects, SOMETHING! 

The point is that a cadet program with no activities is not a cadet program.  There are squadrons that do not do anything outside of their weekly meetings.  Their cadets are suffering. 

Additionally, based on exit surveys, one of the main reasons that cadets leave is because there isn't anything to do.  The majority of squadrons already do a lot and this isn't adding any additional burden on them, because they can piggy-back off other units activities, etc and still have it count.

The only burden that has been added is to under-performing units, every one else is just business as usual.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 21, 2010, 03:02:49 AM
So how long does that weekend activity have to be, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours etc?

However long it is.  If it's serving lunch to the folks at the nursing home and it takes 2 hours, then it's two hours.  If it's manning a recruiting booth at an airshow, then it's probably 24.  It doesn't matter.

QuoteAlso do all cadets have to participate?

No.  However, without activities, cadets can't promote anyway.  If we don't provide the opportunity, they won't come anyway.

QuoteWhat if it is a "niche" type activity only e.g. rockets, computers, radio comms, astronomy/satellite viewing, ES ground team training?

Fine.  If that's what you want to do.

QuoteDo you also have to have a general interest activity?

Anyone planning and creating goals for a cadet program wouldn't limit their activities to only "niche" stuff.  But this is where being an experienced Cadet Programs Officer and attending TLC helps.  ;)

QuoteAlso can the activity be held on another weekday night rather than a weekend?   Surely, their needs to be flexibility in when these activities are held, and again mandating when is not good policy.

Sure.  The policy is to offer CAP activities sometime other than the 2.5 hours weekly.

QuoteCadet & senior members have other lives, and weekends may be reserved for other activities.

And most joined to do activities with CAP.  Offering activities doesn't mean that everyone has to attend every single one.  It also doesn't mean that the same person has to plan and execute every activity.  If the ES guy wants to have ES training, he can plan and run it.  Then, the AE guy can plan and execute a visit to an aviation museum, and so on.

QuoteHey I'm not in cadet programs, and this likely won't affect me greatly (I'll likely give them 4 to 6 hours, one weekend per quarter to help),  so good luck to all the cadet program guys & gals :clap:RM

Teaching a comms class once per quarter, or having a communications exercise would be a great asset to the cadets and seniors of your unit.  If you offer the class to others outside of your unit, you can also help satisfy their requirement to provide a monthly activity.  ;)

See how easy that was?  I think that you're over-thinking this...
[/quote]

Bluelakes 13

When I was reading the additions, I kept thinking to myself:
We did this,
We did this,
We did this...
(when I was a unit CC/DCC).
I guess that's why we got a unit citation.

My other part, the part that teaches TLC and sees how many units don't do this regularly, is thankful that it's in the regulation now.

And the RCLS lingo is in there too!  Woohoo!

Ned

Extremely poor wording of 2-5b.  It should simply read that "no CAP member may not administer prescription or nonprescription medication to another member".  Of course, exceptions are not addressed...or maybe there are none? (the way I read it there are none).

Non-concur.

This portion of the new regulation simply implements the basic policy directed by the NEC, and more completely described in the draft CAR 160-2 (see our previous discussion here on CT).

The new 160-2 will have all the necessary details, exceptions, etc. and provides essential guidance for members, leaders, and parents.

coudano

"no CAP member may not administer prescription or nonprescription medication to another member".

Is it nit picking to point out that this is a double negative?

SarDragon

Quote from: coudano on December 21, 2010, 05:32:26 AM
"no CAP member may not administer prescription or nonprescription medication to another member".

No. As written, it makes no sense.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

I really enjoy on the slide show (cause that's all i have had a chance to read so far) when it talks about parents medication, it says have a parent come to the activity and administer it....

Uh....really?

So, what if this parent is a nonmember? Do we really allow a non screened person to just "chill" around other children during an activity?

What if the activity is weeks long? (NCSA's come to mine) Are we supposed to allow the parent to come along JUST to give out meds? (and again, what if the parent is a total nonmember.....)

Maybe its just the late hour, or the lunar eclipse but.....i might be crazy overthinking this...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

A.Member

Quote from: coudano on December 21, 2010, 05:32:26 AM

No.  However, more accurately, it's a typo. :)  I corrected the original post.  Thanks! 

My statement should've read:

"no CAP member may administer prescription or nonprescription medication to another member".