On the state of cadet promotions

Started by Ron1319, November 30, 2010, 11:48:52 PM

Ron1319

Perhaps start by doing away with "cadet commander" titles for anyone at the unit who isn't in Phase IV.  We don't refer to NCO's acting in flight commander roles as flight commanders, but instead of flight sergeants with assistant flight sergeants.  In many cases, they're flight commanders instead of cadet commanders anyway, so don't have a cadet chain of command with a position higher than flt sgt if there are no cadet officers.  Then extend it to flight commander once you have cadet officers, and once you have phase IV cadets, then you can have a cadet commander.  Functionally it's a bit different, but you preserve the titles at least.

As far as encampments, we had C/Col's for all three executive staff positions the year I was on executive staff as a cadet.  We had another C/Col who applied only for the role of flight commander and made it clear that he was not attending unless he was allowed to do the job he applied.  He did a fine job in the position, of course.  I can imagine the possible flames regarding it either being arrogant of him to insist on his position of choice, or taking opportunities away from someone else.  Whatever.  He earned it, and it's what he wanted to do.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

lordmonar

Quote from: NCRblues on August 29, 2011, 08:30:32 PM
One of the larger reasons for lack of promotion i have run across is slotting for activities.

In my local area, lets say for encampment, cadets are slotted for staff. We always seem to end up with C/Capt. Snuffy in command of encampment squadron 1 and C/Lt. Col Jim Bob as flight commander.

I have spoke to several cadet officers who have stopped at C/2nd Lt. or C/Capt. and they all say them same thing. To them, they see no reason to go on up the chain. They have as much of a chance to be cadet commander at an encampment at C/Capt, as they do at C/Lt. Col. I am in the process of trying to change this where possible, but it is an uphill battle....
I see this also for C/SNCOs. 

I would solve this little problem by making it a requirment to be a C/2d Lt to be on staff at all.....eliminate the eternal chief syndrom. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ron1319

And implement requirements limiting participation for more than 2 years (seasons?) of color guard competitions.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

coudano

Quote from: NedYet another personal failure of our senior leadership.  I take full responsibility.

Not necessarily a failure of senior leadership, and there are many legitimate reasons and limitations that we don't let our cadets "go fast and blow stuff up" (which is basically what it would take to keep them)

nevertheless it doesn't make it any less true.

Personally I consider it to be a /good thing/ that cadets outgrow the cadet program.
In my experience, cadets to whom this happens go on and have exceptional, productive, and great lives.
In many cases (basically universally in my squadron), they reach that escape velocity before they reach that third diamond.  (or in my case that third circle, much to my chagrin)

Bottom line, cadets don't join CAP to become DAAL's,
they join CAP to do cool stuff and hang out with their friends (and occasionally to chase career goals)
when CAP stops being relevant to that, the cadets go away

so telling them "hey stay here and you'll become more of a DAAL" isn't much working, since that's not the reason they are here in the first place

Ron1319

PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319