Main Menu

NEW CLS

Started by Patterson, September 28, 2010, 02:07:25 PM

Patterson

Going through the CAP Cadet Programs Website, I came across this.

QuoteREGION CADET LEADERSHIP SCHOOL CURRICULUM
  Since RCLS / COS became a pre-requisite for the Eaker Award in 1998, participation in the RCLS
program has exploded. Unfortunately, CAP lacks meaningful guidance on what the goals of the
RCLS curriculum are. To remedy that situation, we need to develop some kind of curriculum guide or
at least a skeleton of goals and requirements. Toward that end, the following is proposed:

Program Goal: To develop in cadets the Phase III leadership skills outlined in the Leadership Expectations
(ref: CAPR 52-16, chapter 2)

Eligibility: Prior to attending RCLS, cadets must have completed an encampment and hold the
grade of C/MSgt or higher

Duration: Schools must offer at least 24 hours of instruction. Under this model, a RCLS could be
conducted over a 3-day weekend. As with other activities, to graduate cadets would have to satisfactorily
complete at least 80% of the program.

Curriculum Outline:
Communication Skills: 3 hrs
EffectiveWriting
Public Speaking Fundamentals
Core Values & Character 2 hrs
Core Values & The Cadet Officer
Core Values Case Studies
Inter-Personal Relations 3 hrs
Supervision & Discipline
Mentoring & Counseling
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
Leadership Theory 3 hrs
Situational Leadership
Servant Leadership
Air Force Leadership Doctrine
Team Leadership Projects
Critical & Creative Thinking 3 hrs
Critical Thinking
Creativity
ProjectManagement
Officership 3 hrs
Roles & Responsibilities
Effective Delegation
Professional Standards
Leadership in Safety
Airpower Heritage 3 hrs
Development of Airpower
Development of Space Power
Air Force Core Competencies
Electives (director's discretion) 4 hrs

Curriculum Guide. Due to limited resources and to allow local schools maximum flexibility, the curriculum
guide would not include detailed lesson plans. Instead, leaders would see a description of
each lesson, a list of learning objectives, and a suggested content outline.

Very interesting.  I seriously doubt this will be accepted by many Wings, which hold the CLS as a "feeder" for Staffing their Encampment and such.

I visited PA Wing CLS this past summer.  It appeared to be Encampment version 2.0  When I asked "why are they treated like they are at Encampment" the overwhelming response I got back was "because they are in training to Staff Encampment".

Perhaps it is different in other Wings, but to do the same activities you did at Encampment the year before just does not seem what CLS was supposed to be about.

http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/Innovations_Layout___Reduced_141CF7A7CFF32.pdf (Second to last item in point paper)

jimmydeanno

Using RCLS as an encampment feeder ingenuous to the RCLS program.  Treating Phase III & IV cadets as though they are basic cadets at encampment also detracts from their program goals. 

I would be largely in favor of a standardized RCLS curriculum that had to be adhered to, because we all know that people try to make up their own thing "because they know better."  It cheats the cadets and exposes the possibility that one region is going to have a good RCLS and the other is going to have C/SSgts sitting in on it, teaching them about how to wear uniforms.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Who uses RCLS as an encampment feeder?  Yes, some wings run them during encampments, but they are still Region-level schools, disconnected and separate, by design from encampments.

110% agree on standardization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2010, 02:52:17 PM
Who uses RCLS as an encampment feeder? 

Specifically Pennsylvania.

Right from their web page...... www.pawgenc.org

QuotePAWG requires CLS attendance to staff other PAWG cadet programs

I guess you kind of have to see it run to understand it.  From day 1 the CLS Cadet Staff run the CLS students through the same activities as the Encampment Cadets.  Same restrictions on behavior (no talking while eating, only three approved verbal responses, reciting cadet oath and bunk inspections, drill is taught right alongside the Encampment Cadets, etc.)  The program itself is far from being on the same level as the rest of Northeast Region, and frankly I am surprised it got the Regions blessing to be an RCLS.

It is supposed to be an academic course, yet PA Wing runs it as a continuation of Encampment training. 

PA Guy

Quote from: Patterson on September 28, 2010, 07:56:25 PM
It is supposed to be an academic course, yet PA Wing runs it as a continuation of Encampment training.

The curriculum for RCLS is being developed by NHQ.  It will be designed as an academic program and it is not the intent of NHQ that it be used as a feeder or encampment staff training.  PAWG is way out in left field on this one.  Making  a RCLS like encampment is about as far away from the intent of the program as you can get. 

arajca

Attention to details:

The PAWG quote lists "CLS" not "RCLS". They may very well have developed their own training program called "Cadet Leadership School" for the purpose of developing cadet leaders for activities. At least some wing wings provide some sort of cadet staff training to hopefully provide a better encampment experience for all the cadets (and seniors) involved.

Since I have not seen the details, the above statement is strictly my opinion.

ZigZag911

Quote from: arajca on September 29, 2010, 01:17:19 PM
Attention to details:

The PAWG quote lists "CLS" not "RCLS". They may very well have developed their own training program called "Cadet Leadership School" for the purpose of developing cadet leaders for activities. At least some wing wings provide some sort of cadet staff training to hopefully provide a better encampment experience for all the cadets (and seniors) involved.

Since I have not seen the details, the above statement is strictly my opinion.

PA WG requested and received approval from NER to offer their 2010 program as RCLS.

Ozzy

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 29, 2010, 01:21:14 PM
PA WG requested and received approval from NER to offer their 2010 program as RCLS.

Quote please. I was at the 2010 NER CLS this year and the only authorized RCLS I heard of was NJ and NERCA.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

MSG Mac

Quote from: Ozzy on September 30, 2010, 04:11:33 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 29, 2010, 01:21:14 PM

Quote please. I was at the 2010 NER CLS this year and the only authorized RCLS I heard of was NJ and NERCA.

What Col Hayden didn't get your approval??
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JC004

PAWG's cadets have been getting RCLS credit for attending PAWG's CLS for a number of years.

It used to be OTS, then CLS.  It was originally conducting in June, encampment in July, and yes it had a major feeding element since it is and was required for ENC cadet staff.  Some (read: a lot of) modifications were made over the years since the '98(?) 52-16 and through several commanders.  In recent years, they were combined, set up as a wing with ENC and CLS as groups, etc. 

noodles

Eclipse

Having discussed this several times with my Region's DCP, the fact that wing's were "doing their own thing" (whatever that meant)
and still getting RCLS credit is why this will be coming to a Region near you with the new 52-16.

Wing's won't choice - if they want the money and the credit they will have to adhere to the framework just as encampments have to.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2010, 06:47:16 PM
Wing's won't choice - if they want the money and the credit they will have to adhere to the framework just as encampments have to.

Why wouldn't wing's choice?

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on December 12, 2010, 09:06:15 PM

Heh - won't have a choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on December 13, 2010, 03:16:59 AM
Quote from: JC004 on December 12, 2010, 09:06:15 PM

Heh - won't have a choice.

Don't confuse me.  I'm tired.  I've been programming this new IT setup for my organization for like two days straight.  I know you did it to confuse me specifically.  I'm onto you.

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on December 13, 2010, 04:13:16 AM
Don't confuse me.  I'm tired.  I've been programming this new IT setup for my organization for like two days straight.  I know you did it to confuse me specifically.  I'm onto you.

Elementary penguin singing Hari Krishna.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPcadet902

PAWG's CLS program is far superior to any other wings CLS and the Region's CLS. That is such a joke. You go North East Region. IDOTS!!!
Welcome to PAWG may I have another

elipod

Alright....seriously. I think you might want some real feedback on this thread rather than some un-schooled 'kid' who thinks that PAWG is the best, and who doesn't even know how to spell 'idiot'.

First, let me begin by saying, I am from PA Wing, and have been all my five years so far in CAP. I attended PAWG CLS or "RCLS" in June 2009. It was a great learning experience. But I have to agree that they DO use it as a 'feeder', and as a REQUIREMENT to staff other schools in PAWG.

I recently had a cadet transfer from NY Wing to my Squadron. He had been to Basic ENC, and had already staffed NY Wing ENC also. Needless to say, we had to deny his Mitchell promotion, due to his ignorance of the program. (He now is one of my most respected Cadet Staff, after some thorough training).

By saying that above ^ , I do believe that CLS should be considered as a requirement to staff at an ENC. It does prepare you considerably.

What do you all think?
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

davidsinn

Quote from: elipod on April 05, 2011, 12:40:17 AM
Alright....seriously. I think you might want some real feedback on this thread rather than some un-schooled 'kid' who thinks that PAWG is the best, and who doesn't even know how to spell 'idiot'.

First, let me begin by saying, I am from PA Wing, and have been all my five years so far in CAP. I attended PAWG CLS or "RCLS" in June 2009. It was a great learning experience. But I have to agree that they DO use it as a 'feeder', and as a REQUIREMENT to staff other schools in PAWG.

I recently had a cadet transfer from NY Wing to my Squadron. He had been to Basic ENC, and had already staffed NY Wing ENC also. Needless to say, we had to deny his Mitchell promotion, due to his ignorance of the program. (He now is one of my most respected Cadet Staff, after some thorough training).

By saying that above ^ , I do believe that CLS should be considered as a requirement to staff at an ENC. It does prepare you considerably.

What do you all think?

RCLS is not supposed to be anything like encampment as has been pointed out above. RCLS is supposed to be about scholarly learning not about staffing an encampment.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Bluelakes 13

I agree with Dave wholeheartedly. 

From my instructions that I give to Wings that run an RCLS: "RCLS cannot be used as a feeder for staffing other events.  The only goal of RCLS is to provide Phase III and IV cadets a leadership laboratory to exercise strategic thinking."