Grog ideas and comebacks

Started by addo1, June 18, 2010, 07:06:47 PM

addo1

Good evening,

Right now I am at encampment preparting for tonight's dine in. One of the things we do is to have a grog bowl with rymes and creative sayings to get people to the grog. Because of this, I would like to get ideas on two things:

1) Creative grog sayings - things that could be used to send fellow cadet staff to the grog
2) Comebacks - anything that I could use to refute a grogging ... I am Admin OIC if that helps any...

I am looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with. Thanks!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

SarDragon

Drink the grog! It's just like Kool-Aid, but better!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: SarDragon on June 18, 2010, 07:21:55 PM
Drink the grog! It's just like Kool-Aid, but better!
Not if it's out of a toilet bowl (used) like my dad used to have to do in the army.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eagle400

What you want to do, is make a peppermint milkshake.

Problem is, I forgot the recipe...  :-\

Anyone know?

Eclipse

Best Grog comeback -"Sir, this is inappropriate for CAP and somewhat sophomoric in general, do we really need to do this?"

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2010, 07:37:23 PM
Best Grog comeback -"Sir, this is inappropriate for CAP and somewhat sophomoric in general, do we really need to do this?"

That cadet would earn this:

Paramedic
hang-around.

addo1

Thanks for all the ideas (not)...  :o
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

SarDragon

Guess that was a roundabout way of telling you how we feel about the grog bowl.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tsrup

Quote from: addo1 on June 18, 2010, 08:02:12 PM
Thanks for all the ideas (not)...  :o

A good comeback is witty and relates to what was said in the first place.

You will not amuse anyone with comebacks that are obviously pre-memerized. 

Same with sending someone to the grog.  A good one will include something about the person you are sending to the grog, preferably within encampment (no one likes inside jokes) so everyone will get it. 
This kind of stuff you wont find in a forum. 

The key to a good CADET grog bowl is everyone needs to have fun with it.  You can tell who is having fun with it and who is just going through the motions. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2010, 07:37:23 PM
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Grog bowls are stupid and unprofessional.  In 20 years on active duty I never went to a function with one.  WIWAC we hosted VERY professional Dining-Outs with AF general officers and parents.  We never had one.  My father was in the AF for 20 years.  They never had one.

a2capt

When I first joined the unit, they used to have grog at the banquets and I have got to say, I dreaded it.

Especially when I got sent to it by some cadet that I'm sure had issues with me, but used their position as retribution. With the entire command at the time being harder than hardkewl .. yeah, I could have stood ground.

But.. I tell you what. I darn near blew it all over the floor.

They only got worse after that, until there was a year without one and then somehow the remainder of that cadet bunch got their way and there was one more. 1st mistake was letting a prior cadet turned Marine participate in it. He got sick and puked. The first one to go, sick and puked. .. second one, you can see where this was going.

They all made it to the restroom.

The clue should have been that the creator couldn't hack it.

They didn't have it for a year again after that and when it was brought back it was actually quite a humorous presentation. mixed with all kinds of goofy fun stuff that was a narrated story done as each ingredient was added to the bowl - complete with props. In the end, it was like your average high energy sugar laden can of blast.  So much so that people were blatantly infracting to get sent up to the thing...

That was actually fun.

Too bad it took like 8 years to get it right.

Short Field

Most RM functions I have attended that had grog bowls became extremely boring as they attempted to send people to the grog bowl and the people attempted to rebut it.  One great truism is that most people who think they are glib and witty are not.  It just became boring and made a fun night a non-fund event.  If you have to think of a reason to send a person to the grog bowl, you are on the wrong track. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

a2capt

Exactly, the direction they took with it the last couple times we had it was humorous, but other than that- nothing but dread.

Old Timer

There is a thin line with grogs; most times, it is the tone set by the President of the Mess, coupled with how vile the concoction (real or imagined) that can turn that should be a fun evening of fellowship into one of sheer boredom, utter dread, or a poisonous combination of the two. 

I was at a group dining-out where the President of the Mess (and Group CC) used the grog to embarrass a very senior Lt Col (that should have been appointed Group Commander instead of this very young, very imature man with only two years total CAP (and no military) experience). 

Why?  Because he could, and thought thought that by demeaning this officer, he would appear more "powerful". 

At the end of the evening, it turned into a very sour experience for many of the members, both cadets and officers, and confused most of the parents attending the event.

Think very carefully before putting together a grog at your dining-in, and never at a dining-out.*

"A dining-in is one in which only members of the unit attend, while a dining-out has invited guests, like family members, members of other units and organizations, and senior echelon officers.

tsrup

Quote from: Old Timer on June 21, 2010, 12:11:34 AM
There is a thin line with grogs; most times, it is the tone set by the President of the Mess, coupled with how vile the concoction (real or imagined) that can turn that should be a fun evening of fellowship into one of sheer boredom, utter dread, or a poisonous combination of the two.

Also, depending on who you select as your Mr. Vice will make or break a grog ceremony.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Old Timer

Yes, an excellent point!  A Mr/Ms Vice with some wit can really envigorate a dining in/out.

raivo

I've been to 3-5 events in CAP with grog, and one in the RM (which, for the record, had several Colonels and a two-star in attendance.) Oddly enough, the CAP events were all very well orchestrated, while the RM version was rather... lacking.

But, yes - it really all comes down to the Vice. This should ideally be someone who has the ability to make people laugh, and yet stay completely serious themselves while doing so.

Good Vice, good event. Bad Vice, bad event.

Oh, as to your original question... if it's planned ahead of time, it's not going to be nearly as funny. Sorry. :-\

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Short Field

Really.  "Lets script all the grog challenges and comebacks so it will be more witty..."  FAIL.
Wilson #2640

raivo

Quote from: Short Field on June 21, 2010, 04:42:13 AM
Really.  "Lets script all the grog challenges and comebacks so it will be more witty..."  FAIL.

I really think that was one of the problems with my OTS graduation dining-out. Everything was scripted out ahead of time (quite possibly to avoid offending the powers-that-be that were present), and everything between the President/Vice came off as fake and rehearsed. Which was a shame, the trainee who was the Vice was a hilarious guy and I think the whole affair could've been a lot better.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

addo1

For those who are against grogs, this was not a conversation of why or why not. As to scripted grogs, I also, am against those. I was simply looking for some ideas in which I could formulate my own. I came up with a pretty epic one even so... :p
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Short Field

Traditionally, trips to the grog bowl were for infractions in the Mess.  Just a few examples are members showing up late, coming back from break late, trying to pass off a non-standard uniform item as standard (i.e. buttons and connecting chain on the Mess Dress jacket because the old ones were too short...), sneaking out for a rest room break without getting permission of the mess to leave, smoking without the smoking lamp being lite, bringing a drink in from the bar, and failing to properly address Mr/Ms Vice or the President of the mess.  Sending people to the grog bowl became extremely boring, contrived, and lame when people were being sent to the grog bowl for being bald, being short, being too tall, something that happened in the office months before, something that didn't happen but was being claimed to have happened, etc.  Personally, I enjoy having a grog bowl at a dining-in when used right.  I have seen a few "charging" ceremonies that were exceptionally well done - but only a few out the 4 or more dining-ins/outs I attended each year during the last 12 years I was on active duty.   
Wilson #2640