Main Menu

Boots for PJOC

Started by FNelson, April 12, 2018, 03:21:17 PM

FNelson

I will be attending NM PJOC this June and I am looking into getting a new pair of duty boots before I go because the ones I have right now are not very nice and were originally meant as a temporary replacement cause my original pairs of boots finally fell apart about 3 weeks before encampment and I needed a new pair fast. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money but I am willing to invest in a pair that is on the higher end. I have found a few on Amazon, 5.11, and vanguard but I thought I would ask on here and see what you all might recommend.
C/2d Lt. Forest Nelson
Santa Fe Composite Squadron "Flying Tigers"
"A legacy of Honor"

I_Am_Twigs

I've had my Bates (same as the ones Vanguard sells) for 2 /12 years, I've abused these boots and they've been through some pretty rough times, I have yet to see even a bit falling apart.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

abdsp51

Shell out the money for a quality set of boots now.  And break them in before PJOC.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

They don't last forever, about a year or so in my experience, but I've worn 511 boots for work for years now. They're lightweight, supportive and comfortable on the feet even during all day foot beats.
I recommend something lightweight, supportive and comfortable for PJOC. You will be on your feet for long periods of time, running and hiking, rappelling, etc.
Whatever you get, buy them well enough ahead of time that you can have them WELL BROKEN IN before reporting. When I buy new boots I wear them around the house, running errands, etc for two weeks or so before I put them into use on duty. Give them a good base shine before wearing them, then walk around in them until they're soft and molded to your feet. Buy good quality wool and/or synthetic socks to keep your feet dry. Use foot powder. Bring a blister kit. Good luck at PJOC!!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

I_Am_Twigs

Not sure which one but my cadet commander is going to PJOC as well.  :clap:
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Toad1168

If you can afford them, Danner is a terrific boot.  Pricey, but you won't regret it.  And yes, make sure you break them in!
Toad

sarmed1

It also depends on what else you want to get out of them and what sort of climate you live in.
I second the Danner recommendation.  I am on my second pair for EMS work and am a huge fan, Stryker II (the only thing I dont like is the side zipper, I worry about boot failure under extreme stress, but I think they make a lether/codura mix that doesnt have one).  I wore the Ft Lewis boot a my cold/temperate weather for years. (including a re-sole)

Straight up military wise I have been wearing versions of the Belleville 700 series since 2003.  First in polishable leather, then tan and sage suede.  The are one of the most comfortable all around boots I have ever had (minimal break in period too) usually the soles are ground down before any kind of stitching failure.  The ones I get are non insulated but with Gortex, so my feet are always dry. (but i do live in the northeast so cold, wet, snowy and slushy are common)

MK

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

PHall

Whatever boots you get make really sure they are well broken in before you get to PJOC.
Not completing the course because your boots trashed your feet is not a good thing.