What's your favorite CAP activity?

Started by mprokosch11, July 20, 2006, 02:09:41 AM

mprokosch11

I'm just wondering what are your favorite activites in CAP. This includes anything and everything CAP has to offer.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

floridacyclist

Bump please. Some of us seniors officers who work around cadets a lot would also love to hear your input.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Becks

WIWAC I was a big fan of summer encampments and informal weekend squadron grill-outs.

BBATW

CAP428

I really like well-run encampments.  You know, the ones that have cool stuff to do, not just sitting in a classroom.

I also really like the military base tours.

MIKE

Quote from: CAP428 on December 08, 2006, 07:27:00 PM
I really like well-run encampments.  You know, the ones that have cool stuff to do, not just sitting in a classroom.

Thats fine, as long as the cool stuff fulfills the content requirements specified.
Mike Johnston

floridacyclist

Actually, requirements aside, I am interested in what the cadets themselves like, not what is required of their activities . We can always make things fit the regs, but I am curious as to what draws cadets to activities and keeps them coming back even if it is the thought of everyone going out for laser tag afterward.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

CAP428

Quote from: MIKE on December 08, 2006, 08:01:52 PM
Thats fine, ...

He asked us what we liked best, not what fulfills certain requirements best.  Even still, usually the cool stuff I'm talking about falls into the category of the following parts of the encampment curriculum laid out in CAPR 52-16:
Quote1a. Structure & Mission of the United States Air Force: Cadets will be introduced to the six core competencies of the United State Air Force: air and space superiority, global attack, rapid global mobility, precision engagement, information superiority, and agile combat support. They should become acquainted with the missions of nearby Air Force units and how the total force is organized, to include CAP's relationship to the Air Force as its Auxiliary. Universal Aerospace Leader Competencies: Aerospace Operations: Air Force Core Competencies 1b. Aerospace Power: Cadets explore the unique characteristics of aerospace power - speed, precision, range, lethality, and freedom of maneuver - through the lens of local aerospace organizations, particularly Air Force flying units. Additionally, cadets will learn how aerospace power contributes to national security. Universal Aerospace Leader Competencies: Aerospace Perspective: Aerospace Fundamentals Aerospace Strategy: National Military Strategy; Efficacy and Use of Aerospace Power....

....4a. Career Opportunities: By personally interacting with Air Force members and civilian aerospace leaders, cadets will receive an overview of various aerospace career opportunities. Careers outside the cockpit must be included, such as engineering, aircraft maintenance, air traffic control, meteorology, avionics, computer science, etc. Universal Aerospace Leader Competencies: Aerospace Technology: Aerospace Environment Air Force Organization: Air Force as Total Force

But even if that cool stuff didn't fulfill the requirements, he still only asked what we liked best.  That is a subjective thing, not bound by any sort of regulations.

Also, you said:
Quote from: MIKE on December 08, 2006, 08:01:52 PM
as long as the cool stuff fulfills the content requirements specified.

That is not true.  CAPR 52-16 states
Quotea. Cadets. The required minimum course content for cadets participating at any encampment is shown in Figure 5-1. All cadets will participate in encampment formations.
Emphasis is mine, of course.

In other words, as long as you complete all that stuff, you can add as much "cool stuff" that is not a part of that as you want.  The cool stuff does not, according to the wording of this regulation, have to be a part of/fulfill that minimum curriculum.  although as I pointed out above, much of the cool stuff is included in the exploring the structure of the Air Force section of the curriculum.

Just clearing up my comment...

**floridacyclist posted while I was re-posting, and he states exactly what I was trying to say in this post above as well.

DNall

Gees you guys are making this too complicated...
Quote1a. Structure & Mission of the United States Air Force: Cadets will be introduced to the six core competencies of the United State Air Force: air and space superiority, global attack, rapid global mobility, precision engagement, information superiority, and agile combat support. They should become acquainted with the missions of nearby Air Force units and how the total force is organized, to include CAP's relationship to the Air Force as its Auxiliary. Universal Aerospace Leader Competencies: Aerospace Operations: Air Force Core Competencies 1b. Aerospace Power: Cadets explore the unique characteristics of aerospace power - speed, precision, range, lethality, and freedom of maneuver - through the lens of local aerospace organizations, particularly Air Force flying units. Additionally, cadets will learn how aerospace power contributes to national security. Universal Aerospace Leader Competencies: Aerospace Perspective: Aerospace Fundamentals Aerospace Strategy: National Military Strategy; Efficacy and Use of Aerospace Power....

....4a. Career Opportunities: By personally interacting with Air Force members and civilian aerospace leaders, cadets will receive an overview of various aerospace career opportunities. Careers outside the cockpit must be included, such as engineering, aircraft maintenance, air traffic control, meteorology, avionics, computer science, etc. Universal Aerospace Leader Competencies: Aerospace Technology: Aerospace Environment Air Force Organization: Air Force as Total Force
Now I can teach the theory of that in a classroom on power point for hours on end, or I can give a 30 min brief followed by touring an operation center where they explain what those things mean & how they are implemented (while being surrounded by cool colorful flashy things).

Same deal with the rest of it. Some stuff is just boring & you can rifle thru that, but then for the most part you have a choice of doing just what you have to or taking what you're required to cover & making it come alive.

That's not so different from other activities. Put some purpose behind why you're doing what you're doing. They see right thru it when it's ONLY colorful flashy things & no reason to see it. Then use your resources to give them a chance to learn things in visual & action-based ways that spur them on to a firm objective, not just hey maybey you can do this or that.

Psicorp

*Thinking back to when I was a Cadet*

My Squadron was on an Air Force base, so we were able to participate in the base's Open House (parked planes and had a booth) and the William Tell competition (parked planes and ran errands for the staff).  We also took advantage of "hands on" Aerospace Education opportunities such as helping wash an F-15 (and gave the "Eagle Keepers" some amusement), several trips to the F-15 Flight Simulator, Tower tours, and were a part of two Air Force Change of Command ceremonies. 

Some things I wish I had taken advantage of on a personal level:   The International Cadet Exchange,  Flight Training (including pilot's licence), go to one of the National E.S. schools, and a second try at the Spaatz exam!!

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

elkorona

Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

flyguy06

WHen I was a cadet, my favorite activity was the AETCFC. I loved going to Columbus AFB learning what pilots learn

ZigZag911

I have always enjoyed SAREXes, from my days as a cadet manning a radio right down to today when I'm usually IC....get to meet and work with a lot of members that, in the normal course of events, you just don't see.

Newhall

By far the best activity is NCC.  Second to that is NESA. I've heard great things about PJOC and HGA sounds fun as well.
C/2d LT Newhall
Thunderbird Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-067

sdcadet

1. Flying  ;D
2. Mostly everything involving cadet programs :)

Jolt

After a lot of thought and observation, I've concluded that cadets don't know what they want.  Basically, if you show them some different aspect of CAP and they think it's "kewl," they'll want to do it.

I've actually got a little bit of evidence that I'll briefly describe.  Our squadron is filled with a lot of new, less than 3-4 month cadets.  A few weeks ago we had a quick lesson/briefing/expose about ES and they were introduced to ground teams and the different things CAP does in ES.  Shortly after, we gave them a survey (Withold opinions, I'm not the cadet commander), just to see if we could get a better understanding of what their goals were in the program and what interested them.  You can bet a good maybe 2/3 of the cadets put down that they were interested in being on a ground team.

Bottom line, I've found that cadets in CAP like CAP.  So if you introduce them to an interesting aspect of it, they'll want to try it out.

Of course, that's my little bit of evidence taken from a small sample size of new cadets, so take whatever data I think I got with a grain of salt.

afgeo4

My favorite activities are the ones that happen at the local O-Club or Hooters after the official meetings are over.  I find that best critical thinking and wonderful ideas come out when we feel free to discuss everything.
GEORGE LURYE

brasda91

Having the cadets do push-ups for performing a facing movement incorrectly!  >:D

Just kidding!  Man those were the days..... ;D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Pylon

IACE United Kingdom  &  NFA-P,  so far.   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mprokosch11

Quote from: Pylon on February 22, 2007, 11:28:31 PM
IACE United Kingdom  &  NFA-P,  so far.   8)

I don't know how you could beat IACE.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

arajca

As a cadet, two activities tied. IACE - West Germany and ILWG Balloon Encampment.

1. Yeah, I'm dating myself.
2. At the time, it was an encampment and lead to solo qual in a free (not tethered) hot air balloon.